OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Postby mister816 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm

KCPowercat wrote:That's why I'm torn on this...it's not what we wanted and had and ordinance passed to enforce but there was zero foot traffic here anyways.

Exactly. Maybe i'm in the minority here but this specific block was rarely if ever used unless by the people who parked in that old parking lot so it's not a big deal to me. Most all pedestrians who would be using this street will be coming from the Residence Inn and Sporting and they are on the opened side of the road anyway. We have a VERY hard timeline to get this hotel up and running for the Shriner's convention and i doubt that they want to be dealing with confined spaces and getting 15 day permits to block the sidewalk when needed.

We are not Chicago and this closure is affecting next to no one. Choose your battles wisely before we become another CFRG like group who complain about everything. Its going to get to the point that when there is seriously something that does matter happens, no one will listen.
Last edited by mister816 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 pm

I agree that this particular stretch of sidewalk doesn't get used much, so it really isn't a big deal, BUT we can't just let developers ignore the ordinance. Allow them to file for an exception (only if low sidewalk traffic) that has to be voted on by a committee or something.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm

That's why I hate to just ignore it. Developers,. Construction comapnies, and city staff need to be reminded of this new ordinance....right now 95% of new projects since the ordinance has passed has needed a 311 ticket to bring a pedestrian path back....that's ridiculous

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm

mister816 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:That's why I'm torn on this...it's not what we wanted and had and ordinance passed to enforce but there was zero foot traffic here anyways.

Exactly. Maybe i'm in the minority here but this specific block was rarely if ever used unless by the people who parked in that old parking lot so it's not a big deal to me. Most all pedestrians who would be using this street will be coming from the Residence Inn and Sporting and they are on the opened side of the road anyway. We have a VERY hard timeline to get this hotel up and running for the Shriner's convention and i doubt that they want to be dealing with confined spaces and getting 15 day permits to block the sidewalk when needed.

We are not Chicago and this closure is affecting next to no one. Chose your battles wisely before we become another CFRG like group who complain about everything. Its going to get to the point that when there is seriously something that does matter happens, no one will listen.

No need for a 15 day closure. Build a 4 foot ped path with another set of concrete barriers and pedestrian protection. It costs nothing and it's done right....and to code.

grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby grovester » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Following the law should not be "picking" a battle.

KC_JAYHAWK
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KC_JAYHAWK » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 am

Can't you just walk on the other side of the street? Anyway, I never see people walking that stretch anyway, so not sure I see the big deal.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 am

Yes you can. Cars can also just take the next block....so not sure what the big deal is.

The ordinance is to keep sidewalks open on both sides of the street if a project is closing a sidewalk more than 15 days? Is it hard for most to just cross the street? No..more annoying. Is it harder for someone who can't walk well or in a wheelchair? Yes.

Grovester is right...we are just asking for the laws to be followed...and while it may seem insignificant on this project, it's the norm with all projects even after the ordinance passed....it's ridiculous

grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby grovester » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Developers and companies need to get into the habit.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure how people asking for a city ordinance to be followed is a slippery slope to being CFRG. A lot of people picked the passage of a sidewalk closure ordinance as a worthy battle to fight for and it’s absurd to turn around and not fight for its enforcement. If anything I’ve found that not objecting to something like this makes the city more likely to ignore you the next time something comes up.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Oh if they violate it, I'll be the first one to report them. The city won't actually enforce it though.

mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby mister816 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:53 pm

... the city knows, the city doesn't care because the city understands that this hurts no one. I'm sure if you dug deep enough, there are dozens of violations in almost every project that goes up in every city. It only annoys the very small minority.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 am

mister816 wrote:... the city knows, the city doesn't care because the city understands that this hurts no one. I'm sure if you dug deep enough, there are dozens of violations in almost every project that goes up in every city. It only annoys the very small minority.

If I hear "the very small minority" line again, I might go crazy.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:33 am

^ :lol: it’s just one level above “victimless crime”

816 you are assuming that there’s something rational and considered about the city’s ignoring this ordinance. My experience building in KCMO has been that the city staff ignores ordinances they don’t know about or don’t understand. I would be shocked if anyone at the city actually studied the pedestrian traffic on that block and then decided not to enforce the ordinance. Simply, there is no “the city understands”.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 am

That's why we keep reporting these every time they happen...so staff enforces it. Getting the ear of the public works communications person (beth) is also helping.

grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby grovester » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:51 pm

If they have to maintain the sidewalks they won't be able to afford chocolate mints for the pillows.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:37 pm

4 pedestrians hit by cars this weekend.....

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 pm

some pics from sunday:

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby joshmv » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 pm

grecobs
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby grecobs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm

joshmv wrote:live stream of the site...

https://video.nest.com/live/16BaltimoreNorth

Cannot wait to watch this everyday like I did 10 years ago with P&L!

mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby mister816 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:46 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:some pics from sunday:

This is crazy, the law says that they needed to keep that hole where the sidewalk used to be open, I'll be tweeting sly immediately!

Return to “Downtown”