OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by missingkc »

If this building didn't go one foot higher it would still be a huge boon to the neighborhood.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

All your pictures here and the other topics are great, thank you Fang
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

So, 279 ft is the official height when complete??
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I know we don't have any cladding up yet, but just looking at all the curves and jut outs in the concrete going up, I feel like the renderings didn't do this project any justice. This is going to be a unique looking hotel in the end.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I do not see anything not shown in the renderings. I think the exterior design of this building will be better received than the Cordish apartments. I was surprised in seeing this from the intersection of 13th & Wyandotte. Even though you could never actually see 670 from there, seeing this hotel from there seems to make the ditch disappear. Something must be done about those dead vacant buildings on the south side of 14th.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm Something must be done about those dead vacant buildings on the south side of 14th.
Those parcels, owned by DST, were always thought to be one of the potential sites of new hotel. DST is under pressure by certain stockholders to sell off their development and real estate arm. I have a feeling that those buildings will be sold soon.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm I do not see anything not shown in the renderings. I think the exterior design of this building will be better received than the Cordish apartments. I was surprised in seeing this from the intersection of 13th & Wyandotte. Even though you could never actually see 670 from there, seeing this hotel from there seems to make the ditch disappear. Something must be done about those dead vacant buildings on the south side of 14th.

That building and garage are horrible. With all the development going on it's astonishing that the single block between the convention center and P&L is still sitting there rotting. (I just hope that whatever eventually replaces those eyesores is a high-rise where the garage sits and a low-to-mid-rise where the building sits, to preserve the view of the KCPL building.)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:11 pm Those parcels, owned by DST, were always thought to be one of the potential sites of new hotel. DST is under pressure by certain stockholders to sell off their development and real estate arm. I have a feeling that those buildings will be sold soon.
I’m hearing the unofficial price they are asking is borderline insanity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They will probably be under a lot of pressure to reduce the price the longer it sits, because there are activist shareholders who are demanding DST sell their real estate, and return to their core mission only.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm They will probably be under a lot of pressure to reduce the price the longer it sits, because there are activist shareholders who are demanding DST sell their real estate, and return to their core mission only.
I think the best hope would b a full divestiture of all their property in one sale. The buyer would get a better price and DST would get immediate sale of all properties instead of dragging it out. Would take deep pockets and would probably induce immediate development for quick return on the initial expenditure.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm They will probably be under a lot of pressure to reduce the price the longer it sits, because there are activist shareholders who are demanding DST sell their real estate, and return to their core mission only.
I think the best hope would b a full divestiture of all their property in one sale. The buyer would get a better price and DST would get immediate sale of all properties instead of dragging it out. Would take deep pockets and would probably induce immediate development for quick return on the initial expenditure.
I would rather it sell individually. With one owner they can do one project at a time and it takes forever.

Commerce has deep pockets and owns a lot of land and hasn't developed everything after decades.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:28 pm I would rather it sell individually. With one owner they can do one project at a time and it takes forever.

Commerce has deep pockets and owns a lot of land and hasn't developed everything after decades.
I’ve found that when companies hold few properties they tend to hold them for a bigger return. When a company has a large portfolio they either divest some to offset carrying costs or try to get a quick return by developing them right away, even for a lower return. Do you sell of properties to focus on a few or take the profit on a property purchased at a bargain price by developing it quickly?
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Anyone know what they are putting up on the SE corner on top of the garage?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cityscape wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 pm Anyone know what they are putting up on the SE corner on top of the garage?
The convention space. There's an open air balcony on the east end too.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Ah, looks like it will have huge ceilings based on what the webcam shows.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cityscape wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 pm Ah, looks like it will have huge ceilings based on what the webcam shows.
4 to 5 is a double floor. the only 5th floor specific space is mechanicals below the south end of the room tower and the sky bridge connection

6th floor is taller than levels above and convention space replaces the south leg of the rooms too.

So the room tower is half of 6 and only begins full size on 7.

The plans are here. there's some really useful info from it like how someone can enter the hotel on Wyandotte AND Baltimore and get to their room.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ments/8008
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

On this post, the 4th photo down you can see to the 7th floor. The metal structure is the floor of 8.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18949&start=2480#p584439

Where the 4th floor bumps in (4-5 being the double floor) is restrooms and storage. The top level of the garage is the metal structure and lines up with 4. The bump out on 4 is the main restaurant

Where the double floor ends, that's the maintenance section of 5. So the convention space will be double height next to it

Then the next floor, 6, is the taller floor you can see the event kitchen and a hallway which will be next to the 6th floor ballroom over the garage.

there will be a terrace over the end of the garage so I would expect that part of the building to step back for 6
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Evening cranes.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Metal grid for glass curtain wall "bow" at ne corner going in. Can someone get a photo from the Liberty Memorial? I think that from there this may appear to be 2 buildings instead of one monolith due to the south face of the south wing having heavy masonry element while the south side of the west wing will be mostly glass curtain wall