OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed...the other blocks are a bit more level but this block would take something creative....and with Cordish in support of it, could get something really cool there. In the end the orientation maybe best but I still think they could push Loew's a little more to make that south end more than just an afterthought.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote:Agreed...the other blocks are a bit more level but this block would take something creative....and with Cordish in support of it, could get something really cool there. In the end the orientation maybe best but I still think they could push Loew's a little more to make that south end more than just an afterthought.
I don't really see what substantially improvable, unless you're ditching the parking garage? You could potentially eliminate the southern most row of parking in the garage and open that up to retail, but with the grade it would be awkward.

That "concrete pilar" is the fire stair for the garage and lobby level, I would not be surprised if it's encased in precast walls. If that's the case, you're pretty limited in overall area available for glazing. It's not the pattern I would have gone with, but I get what they're having to work with.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

None of the renderings I have seen show what if any treatment will be to the limestone rock face above Truman immediately below the current Hereford bldng. I don't recall any rockfalls but the construction may disturb this and make it as unstable as the stone above Main at the Liberty Memorial. To me the guestroom tower looks like 2 different buildings when viewed from the southwest as opposed to the northeast. All glass on the NE but more solid elements on the SW.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCPowercat wrote:Really wish the SW corner wasn't a big concrete pillar....even if it could be glass it would be much improved.
For a graffiti canvas, it's very thoughtfully designed. I'm sure Foner and Roten will appreciate the smooth texture of the stone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fire stairs are encassed in glass all the time. It's actually benefits the outside and the users of the stairs feel safer.

Why so much push back in looking for better ground level experiences from this building? It's catty-corner from one of our crown jewels and this building is turning it back to it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The doors that lead into the stairs are limited in the amount of glass they can have. But once you're through the door, stairs on an exterior wall are essentially on the outside of the fire rating line. So: in most construction types (guessing Type II-B with sprinklers here), if the windows are on an exterior wall and your fire separation distance to the next structure allows for it, you can have windows in the fire stair enclosure. They are almost certainly ok with fire separation on Baltimore, maybe not on 16th.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote:Fire stairs are encassed in glass all the time. It's actually benefits the outside and the users of the stairs feel safer.

Why so much push back in looking for better ground level experiences from this building? It's catty-corner from one of our crown jewels and this building is turning it back to it.
Yes, but if they're using precast for the parking decking then there's sometimes construction & time benefits to using precast walls for the stairs rather than switching to steel or masonry.

I'm not sure what you're wanting for improvement? I sincerely agree it's not perfect, but in concrete (no pun intended) terms what would you change that's in the realm of the plausible? Switch the stair tower from precast to glass, sure. What else?

I absolute love the Kauffman Center, probably in the top five of my favorite buildings. That said, if there has to be a garage somewhere, it should go along 16th rather than towards truman. I mean, the Kauffman in effect turns its back on 16th. But is this hotel even turning its back other than at the ground plane? There's all sorts of glazing & balconies from the conference rooms with views of the KC.

To me if you want to talk about celebrating the Kauffman's greatness, it's more imperative to focus on what will be built to its immediate east and west in the future. That's going to be visible from the lobby and front lawn.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd much prefer the garage on the north side of the block or buried. Even if a cap happens on this block it's going to be elevating as it goes west...so a garage and ballroom wall wouldn't be as intrusive to the pedestrian experience as it's going to be on 16th.

Absent that? The first level going up the street could have a single piece street art ....maybe light art...then you could even keep the concrete stairwell but it wouldn't be as much a focal point.

The design is looking much better than initial plans which is only occuring because neighbors are demanding it....sitting back and giving developers excuses for average design will result in a neighborhood having average design for 50 ton100 years.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sounds like a more official ground breaking will be coming in the next months
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

So does the city make them paint the barrier wall? There's two guys painting it currently and found that kind of funny albeit it looks nicer.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Hah, so at least displaced pedestrians will have a more aesthetically pleasing view as they are run over by trucks. :)
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

scooterj wrote:Hah, so at least displaced pedestrians will have a more aesthetically pleasing view as they are run over by trucks. :)
I guess it would be a shitty way to go. Ran over by a truck and the last thing you saw was unpainted plywood.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

I'm all for the re-greening of our urban landscape as seen in that aerial view!
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

KCMOJoe89 wrote:I'm all for the re-greening of our urban landscape as seen in that aerial view!
The green area (and buildings) in the lower left corner of the first rendering already exists.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Hereford building coming down today.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As mad as I am about the sidewalk blockage the 4 way stop makes it almost worth it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hereford bldng all gone. That was quick. Just too bad they did not move to the historic site of the stockyards in the West Bottoms with all the activity there.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Based on the webcam, it looks like the mobile crane they'll use to put up the tower crane is on site. BTW - this mobile crane looks like its going to be enormous.

KCDowntown
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

KCDowntown wrote:Based on the webcam, it looks like the mobile crane they'll use to put up the tower crane is on site. BTW - this mobile crane looks like its going to be enormous.

KCDowntown

Yep