OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by DaveKCMO »

The restaurant will be oriented to Baltimore, so it depends how active that space is.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

pash wrote:
flyingember wrote:800 hotel rooms will add hundreds of people to the surrounding area. The 16th St streetcar stop will be busy day and night.

Families will walk up and down Baltimore and Wyandotte and 16th St, reaching places that don't exist today.
The southern three quarters of the perimeter of the hotel are going to be blank walls and garage entrances. It is not going to feel like a lively area, no matter how many people are quickly scurrying back and forth to the hotel. The building's design is going to push guests to use the northeast entrance and traverse Truman Road and I-670 between the hotel and the Power & Light District, as dire as that walk is, rather than filtering into the neighboring blocks of the Crossroads.
When I stayed t the Courtyard-Residence Inn Building near where this hotel is going, I didn't like the lack of things on Baltimore Street near the hotel. It is a hassle to cross the highway and Truman Road/Exit Ramp to get to the Power and Light District (It is faster to walk than wait form the Streetcar). Anyway, being an out of towner, businesses on Main Street are nice but, it would be nicer if Baltimore Street and surrounding streets got the same love as Main so that it wouldn't feel so dead. Also, on an unrelated note, Pedestrian experience sucks around here with the Highway Ramp and the lack of a sidewalk on the opposite side of the road where 2, 3 and 4 Light is going. Now some say that I could've used the sidewalk near where the buildings are going on the outer rim of the lots but the inconvenience of the sidewalk being blocked by construction equipment made me walk in the grass, which isn't very pleasant. In all if this hotel is to work, the City of KCMO, developers and the hotel company need to make the street level experience around this area more lively and welcoming. Make the sidewalks and cover up the highway much the like the Park over Highway here in St. Louis. One more thing, the bolded sentences and statements above make my point.

Bottom line, make the pedestrian experience better, people deserve better not a wall with nothing to offer anyone except for an entrance and exit to a garage. :? :?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that baltimore/truman intersection will need to change.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

pash wrote:I see no reason to revise my earlier prediction: this poorly designed hotel is going to extend the dead atmosphere of the convention district into the Crossroads.
I'm still holding out hope that they are going to put some kind of thought into the pedestrian experience. Remember, they did put this photo out a month or two ago. I'm not giving up hope, I still have the smallest sliver of hope that we can get it right.

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hate this project design. Every piece of it. Can't wait for it to make me angry every time I walk by it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I hate this project design. Every piece of it. Can't wait for it to make me angry every time I walk by it.
Hopefully the parcel being 3/4 parking lot makes you more angry.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

This has been pretty quiet as of late. Anyone know what the next steps were supposed to be?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was reported in June that the groundbreaking would be October.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Found a cheaper lender? Use the money to make the building better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderator note: don't post full articles, especially those behind paywalls. we get in trouble.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... aking.html
hartliss wrote:Per bizjournal article on 9/14/17:

Addressing a quarterly gathering of Kansas City's Convention Management Advisory Authority, Burke said KC Hotel Developers LLC remains on track for completion and opening of the 800-room hotel before the 2020 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship, which will be March 11-14 at the Sprint Center.

The proposed Loews Kansas City Convention Center Hotel remains on track to open in early 2020, members of its development partnership said Thursday.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

This really sounds all positive. Like Loews is classing up the design and making sure it is less generic.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So it sounds like the hotel is going to be mostly if not all glass, They are adding more active space along Baltimore with another restaurant, and now we have a pretty successful and well funded developer invested in Kansas City which may lead to more projects in the future.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

FYI - A CRBL permit(Commercial building plan review) was recently issued for the Convention Center development.

This is the first permit you typically see for a new large project, and typically precedes groundbreaking by 4-6 months. For instance Arterra 21's CRBL dates to March 30th of this year.

KCDowntown
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

DaveKCMO wrote:moderator note: don't post full articles, especially those behind paywalls. we get in trouble.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... aking.html
hartliss wrote:Per bizjournal article on 9/14/17:

Addressing a quarterly gathering of Kansas City's Convention Management Advisory Authority, Burke said KC Hotel Developers LLC remains on track for completion and opening of the 800-room hotel before the 2020 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship, which will be March 11-14 at the Sprint Center.

The proposed Loews Kansas City Convention Center Hotel remains on track to open in early 2020, members of its development partnership said Thursday.
Did this article give a time frame or date for when the groundbreaking will be?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

He said it's now looking like the bonds will be sold and that other financing closings will take place in November, with groundbreaking to take place soon thereafter.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Today, St. Louis gained a Loews Hotel. It will be a Live! one. In regards to this one in Kansas City, this won't be a Live! By Loews but rather a simple "Loews" brand.

http://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-blog ... -announced
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chris Stritzel wrote:Today, St. Louis gained a Loews Hotel. It will be a Live! one. In regards to this one in Kansas City, this won't be a Live! By Loews but rather a simple "Loews" brand.

Do we know this to be true? Cordish is involved in the KC hotel too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:
Chris Stritzel wrote:Today, St. Louis gained a Loews Hotel. It will be a Live! one. In regards to this one in Kansas City, this won't be a Live! By Loews but rather a simple "Loews" brand.

Do we know this to be true? Cordish is involved in the KC hotel too.
From the link, I get the impression the Live brand is more or less a luxury boutique hotel. The St Louis hotel will have 250 rooms. I think the planned hotel in KC is much larger at 800 rooms and not quite in the same niche or after the same market.