OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I've only been in the lobby of Crowne Plaza, seemed pretty nice and clean. The rooms I can't speak for. I thought they did a big renovation when they painted the exterior and garage? Maybe just lobby and exterior?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 am Would be a shame for Phillips to becoming housing....president too for that matter.
.....or even the muehlebach.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

True... Be interesting to see how much stays under Marriott control. I'll ask around and see if that's been figured out
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

One massive building. Hard to get the feel of how massive it is till you stand near it. This will definately change our skyline in an eye catching way. So glad we finally got this off the drawing board!!!
Agreed that the Loew's has major presence, particularly from the north side/downtown loop. It really looms over the freeway trench and downtown loop even at current height.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imagine how cool it will be once it's a park!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:23 am I've only been in the lobby of Crowne Plaza, seemed pretty nice and clean. The rooms I can't speak for. I thought they did a big renovation when they painted the exterior and garage? Maybe just lobby and exterior?
From the reviews, it sounds like they updating rooms now. We might have gotten some older rooms since I asked for a higher floor to be priority.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:12 pm From the reviews, it sounds like they updating rooms now. We might have gotten some older rooms since I asked for a higher floor to be priority.
They started updating the rooms a few weeks ago. My apartment looks into their building and you can see them working their way down from the top. They’re about half way done.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Drove past this project today and am so impressed - it adds density and a bit of glamour to DTKC. With 800 rooms, it will hopefully add foot traffic to Power & Light and Crossroads too.

Excited to see this come online.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Apparently, this was the last New Years convention for the church group. Kind of a shame as I loved the feel of DT with thousands of more people walking around. Gave me the idea of what the city could be like with that many more residents.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e.amp.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I will miss the business they provided to downtown, I will not miss them sitting in the aisles at Cosentinos while I am trying to replenish my LaCroix supply.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:41 pm I will miss the business they provided to downtown, I will not miss them sitting in the aisles at Cosentinos while I am trying to replenish my LaCroix supply.
And they crappy tipping for the service industry. Just ask around.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:33 am Honestly, I'd like to see the thing replaced. Pretty poor architecture IMO
Indeed, the Crowne Plaza (not its original name) embodies poor architecture because the city hired a low-bid architect back in the urban renewal days. Same guy who did all the Missouri state trooper barracks; he tossed in this knock-off design for cheap $$$. Despite his German name, he was NOT affiliated with the high-end European architects working for Helmut Jahn (he of Kemper Arena).

It also was spec-ed with a revolving rooftop restaurant which suffered a mechanical failure in its first decade and has been stationary since. KC has two failed revolving rooftops restaurants, the only city I know to suffer such a fate (blessing?)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:33 am Honestly, I'd like to see the thing replaced. Pretty poor architecture IMO
Indeed, the Crowne Plaza (not its original name) embodies poor architecture because the city hired a low-bid architect back in the urban renewal days. Same guy who did all the Missouri state trooper barracks; he tossed in this knock-off design for cheap $$$. Despite his German name, he was NOT affiliated with the high-end European architects working for Helmut Jahn (he of Kemper Arena).

It also was spec-ed with a revolving rooftop restaurant which suffered a mechanical failure in its first decade and has been stationary since. KC has two failed revolving rooftops restaurants, the only city I know to suffer such a fate (blessing?)
I don't know that I would call the one in Crown Center "failed". It closed, but it was open for over 40 years.

I can't imagine how expensive it would be to tear down a building of that size compared to a massive renovation. And your argument about not liking the aesthetic is the same argument that got us acres of surfacing parking. Taste change. Many of the building we lost that we now regard as glorious were, at the time, considered old-fashioned, and gaudy, or grotesque. That building is representative of the style in the time it was built. Everone hates architecture from 50 years ago, no matter what year it is.

Not to mention the huge environmental impact of destroying a functional 28 story building.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

We have to decide if we want affordable housing or chic, cool buildings. If you want affordable, keep every useful building like this one and find an empty lot for your new building. Increased supply produces decreased cost to live in the city.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Crowne Plaza at least looks much improved with its recent paint job. There are similar former Holiday Inns all over the country, the one north of the river in Chicago is almost identical. Back on topic, the glass going in the curved section of Loews is quite handsome.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

There were small work lights on all floors of the hotel last night. It showed height deminsion in comparison to all the rest of the buildings DT and gave an idea of what a new nighttime skyline will look like. Very cool!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am
herrfrank wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am

I don't know that I would call the one in Crown Center "failed". It closed, but it was open for over 40 years.
Isn't the one at the former Hyatt still functioning as a lounge for their premier guests?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes but it doesn't move.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So the project is up to 4 cranes now?