OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

gorgeous! so exciting to see more projects fill in downtown. just need to get more pedestrians in this photo :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crane should be rising soon on the Baltimore side. Saw some extensions in place today.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Posted by u/4gcolt on reddit

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

One massive building. Hard to get the feel of how massive it is till you stand near it. This will definately change our skyline in an eye catching way. So glad we finally got this off the drawing board!!!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:48 pm Image
Imagine this view when Loews, Three Light, Strata, Platform Ventures Barney Allis Plaza Office Tower, Hotel Bravo and 1800 Walnut are all finished. I know it's off topic but still, will be a great site to see!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That hotel district south of 670 is quite impressive. It's really giving downtown some density.

We were in KC a few days ago and needed two rooms so I used price line to try to save some money. Ended up at the Crown Plaza.

That is one tired hotel. Good lord. It's like a hi rise super 8 only probably not as nice as most Super 8 motels.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Have we seen any hotel to apartment conversions DT yet? That hotel definitely needs totally redone and apartments might be a better money maker. Decent location, plenty of parking and could bring a good amount of affordable units to the area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 pm Have we seen any hotel to apartment conversions DT yet? That hotel definitely needs totally redone and apartments might be a better money maker. Decent location, plenty of parking and could bring a good amount of affordable units to the area.
It looks like they are doing some remodeling, but that building needs at least a 50 million dollar investment to bring up to par as a 3.5-4 star hotel.

It might serve a market though. It's a large hotel and affordable if you purchase on third party sites. Families coming to the city for conventions etc might find it more appealing than rooms that cost twice as much. But their advertised rates are way too high and it's not a 3.5-4 star hotel like they say. I would say it's more like a 2 star hotel and most modern 2 star hotels have nicer rooms and common areas.

I have stayed at that new Marriott and and it's really nice. It's great that KC has so many updated rooms and hotels now. Ten years ago, everything in downtown KC was dated and worn out. Now you have tons of choices.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:31 pm It looks like they are doing some remodeling, but that building needs at least a 50 million dollar investment to bring up to par as a 3.5-4 star hotel.

It might serve a market though. It's a large hotel and affordable if you purchase on third party sites. Families coming to the city for conventions etc might find it more appealing than rooms that cost twice as much. But their advertised rates are way too high and it's not a 3.5-4 star hotel like they say. I would say it's more like a 2 star hotel and most modern 2 star hotels have nicer rooms and common areas.

I have stayed at that new Marriott and and it's really nice. It's great that KC has so many updated rooms and hotels now. Ten years ago, everything in downtown KC was dated and worn out. Now you have tons of choices.
Yes, but if they are having a hard time getting a standard rate now, it will be almost impossible to stay afloat with the amount of new rooms about to drop on the market. I doubt they get funds for a renovation, but a conversion to affordable apartments might get some money from the city. It is a big political topic at the moment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crowne plaza in general are 2.5 stars.

50.M renovation? Build a new one for that price.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crowne plaza in general are 2.5 stars.

50.M renovation? Build a new one for that price.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Honestly, I'd like to see the thing replaced. Pretty poor architecture IMO
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:25 am
GRID wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:31 pm It looks like they are doing some remodeling, but that building needs at least a 50 million dollar investment to bring up to par as a 3.5-4 star hotel.

Yes, but if they are having a hard time getting a standard rate now, it will be almost impossible to stay afloat with the amount of new rooms about to drop on the market. I doubt they get funds for a renovation, but a conversion to affordable apartments might get some money from the city. It is a big political topic at the moment.
Well as much as the downtown hotel market has improved, it's still pretty limited compared to similar sized cities. With the new hotels coming online the next several years, I think downtown will finally be able compete even if it takes a few years to recover from all the new rooms. I'm not sure taking away a 385 room hotel in one of the best locations for a hotel in the city is a great idea.

And it would cost a lot more than 50 million to build a new modern hotel tower with nearly 400 rooms. A similar sized hotel would be over 100 million. I would say the hotel will see some investment soon. Maybe not enough to make it a true 4 star hotel, but just enough to modernize it and fill a niche for a secondary convention center hotel. You can probably do a decent upgrade for 10-15 million just to freshen it up.

I don't stay at Crown Plazas often, but it's advertised as a 3.5 star hotel on most hotel websites. I got two rooms for $60 each FYI.

I have stayed in most downtown/crown center and plaza hotels over the years, but this is the first time I have stayed at the Crown Plaza. I actually hope they redo it into a nicer hotel. You can't beat the location.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ Sounds like the Hotel Phillips...and we know how that went. They had to reupgrade within a few years. Parking is the difference. The building has enough to meet the cities archaic requirements for housing. That might be enough to make a conversion cost effective. If you had to build a new tower with that many spaces, it would be difficult to make them affordable. If the city wants affordable, these might be the type of conversions that are needed. No one is going to build that type of tower new if affordable is a city requirement, unless incentives like went to Cordish are included, which they never will be again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:25 am

Well as much as the downtown hotel market has improved, it's still pretty limited compared to similar sized cities. With the new hotels coming online the next several years, I think downtown will finally be able compete even if it takes a few years to recover from all the new rooms. I'm not sure taking away a 385 room hotel in one of the best locations for a hotel in the city is a great idea.

And it would cost a lot more than 50 million to build a new modern hotel tower with nearly 400 rooms. A similar sized hotel would be over 100 million. I would say the hotel will see some investment soon. Maybe not enough to make it a true 4 star hotel, but just enough to modernize it and fill a niche for a secondary convention center hotel. You can probably do a decent upgrade for 10-15 million just to freshen it up.

I don't stay at Crown Plazas often, but it's advertised as a 3.5 star hotel on most hotel websites. I got two rooms for $60 each FYI.

I have stayed in most downtown/crown center and plaza hotels over the years, but this is the first time I have stayed at the Crown Plaza. I actually hope they redo it into a nicer hotel. You can't beat the location.
Right. Can't build a new tower for 50MM but no hotel management company is going to drop that much on renovations of a hotel that size at once ..which is why I said build new.

1000 rooms in crown center will always throw off the balance of inventory "Downtown" proper that is walkable to Bartle.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I really doubt the Phillips will be converted to housing. Architectural Digest named it Missouri's most beautiful hotel. Every hotel has to update the rooms over time.

https://www.hotelphillips.com/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Would be a shame for Phillips to becoming housing....president too for that matter.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Their lobbies are too nice for apartment building lobbies. Should be seen by the public.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:15 am I really doubt the Phillips will be converted to housing. Architectural Digest named it Missouri's most beautiful hotel. Every hotel has to update the rooms over time.

https://www.hotelphillips.com/
Not talking about the Phillips converting to housing, just the Criwn Plaza which has nothing historic to save. The Phillips made a mistake and did a cheap interior upgrade and then had to redo it only a few years later. Would hate to see the Crown Plaza make the same mistake.