OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by WoodDraw »

Deleted post because I shouldn't let these things bother me.

Protecting pedestrians is cool though and shitty jokes are bad. And I agree with kcp who is saying everything nicer than me.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I understand why it's funny to joke about and like haha walk across the street and use that sidewalk. But it really is very, very dangerous to not do this well. Construction sights normally cut down on line of sight for car traffic and if not controlled, it can push pedestrians into the street.

It's also just good city management. Letting developers do whatever they want to save money will result in them doing absolutely nothing. I think they have a couple weeks to set it up though before we go with pitchforks
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Many (most?) people will not cross a street to get around a sidewalk closure. They'll walk in the street, along the barricade. This is especially true if the closure is mid-block or away from a protected crosswalk. Just watch one of these sites for a while.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The midblock closure was the real push for this change ...construction sites are doing a better job of warning people at the intersection....even though it's mostly ignored...which is why the pedestrian path around the site is really the important part.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Of course with advance warning, you have to make sure the contractor doesn't do something dumb like put the "Sidewalk Closed" sign where it obstructs the ADA ramp at the last open corner...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:On a side note, does anyone know where the Hereford Association is moving?

11500 N.W. Ambassador Dr., Suite. 410 According to their website. So, the Northland suburbs. Hate losing real businesses downtown. But at least they are still in KCMO (several KC based associations have hopped across state line).
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Are there any other live cameras like this downtown?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think I heard somewhere that there might be more than one crane on this project
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

TheLastGentleman wrote:Are there any other live cameras like this downtown?
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/misso ... -city.html
ldai_phs wrote:I think I heard somewhere that there might be more than one crane on this project
I'm guessing at least two. Figure the other one may not go up until the Herford Association is demolished.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Wow, that is far away.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCLover wrote:Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

Interesting that they already have the base piece in place. Seems way to early for that but look on the Brightside, there will be two (or 3) tower cranes within two blocks of each other!
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Chris Stritzel wrote:
KCLover wrote:Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

Interesting that they already have the base piece in place. Seems way to early for that but look on the Brightside, there will be two (or 3) tower cranes within two blocks of each other!
Maybe early at KC construction speeds, but they want this thing done in roughly two years so I think we will see a must faster construction pace on this one.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

The Loews Kansas City hotel page has been updated.

https://www.loewshotels.com/loews-kansas-city-hotel
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really wish the SW corner wasn't a big concrete pillar....even if it could be glass it would be much improved.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:Really wish the SW corner wasn't a big concrete pillar....even if it could be glass it would be much improved.
I think for the ballroom corner of a major convention hotel, they did a decent job. The entire convention center area is a huge dead zone, like they are in every city. Most convention hotels that have a large ballroom/meeting space are pretty hideous outside the main entrance. The Hilton hotel across from Camden Yards in Baltimore is nearly identical in size and basic layout to the KC hotel and that thing is much worse and it's right across the street from the stadium.

It would have been nice if they had put the rooms in a single 40 story tower rather than the L shaped blocky looking tower, but I guess that would have added a lot of extra cost, I'm not sure.

Sure would be cool to see this go up at the same time as Three Light. Also, KC still does not have a Hyatt a W and several others. Maybe this will get some other hotels to come to Downtown. When Nashville's first new large hotel went up, other chains started tripping over themselves to come into the market. Maybe this will get the attention of some other hotels chains?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The corner I'm referencing wouldn't be a dead zone and actually the entire south facade won't be dead...pedestrians coming from streetcar to PAC for example. Across the street is blank waiting for something to be developed there. I think the real shame was the building wasn't flipped on the property...the hotel tower on the south and this dead space on the north facing the interstate.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't you want the hotel and main entrance to generally face the core of Downtown, the P&L district, the main part of the convention center, the future deck over the highway etc? Chances are another hotel will go up across the street to the south.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I see that too....just where it is and the elevation difference in the block (on both sides of 670) not sure the cap will ever go on this block...if so it would be a huge change in elevation between Baltimore and Wyandotte....maybe more like an amphitheater setup.

they have done a better job with the south facade from earlier drawings.....
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think the city needs to get very creative and really progressive and think outside the typical KC box on that deck over the highway. There are a lot of challenges with the elevation changes and what not, but the city could really build something special there where people will want to hang out. I think that is one project the city should go all out on and spend some money and do it right.