OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by LCDSI »

this looks a LOT shorter than the original proposal. i'm surprised it's still an 800 room hotel but i guess per the article they managed to squeeze in more rooms per floor.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Meh, as long as the design is accomodating to walkability/pedestrians, Im fine with this design. Its not like the original proposal design was earth shattering or anything.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The roof was way more interesting...This is a boring box. I agree though if it has a good streetlevel experience in fine with whatever.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

FYI the project website (http://heretostaykc.com) shows only the new rendering and none of the old ones, except for the old site layout on "overview" page. I wonder if this is a final rendering?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I know I'm the one who always bitches about all the bitching you guys do about building design, but that is a real downgrade. That is a shitty, shitty design.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I didn't realize this was being proposed for Corporate Woods.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Sure, it's not as tall, but it really isn't that bad. And perhaps this building will help the city continue to grow so that we can have some of the more exciting high rises that growing cities lure in.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

miz.jordan17 wrote:Sure, it's not as tall, but it really isn't that bad. And perhaps this building will help the city continue to grow so that we can have some of the more exciting high rises that growing cities lure in.
I would hope. Sorry it has to be scaled back some but, I"m not surprised as long as it was taking with costs rising. With the courtyard across the street it should lure a couple restaurants, drug store maybe a clothing store and LORD please a downtown Target/Wal-Mart. Hope a little more imagination can be used in a hopefully not final design. If the street scape is good it will be another step for walkability towards Lydias, Jackstack down Baltimore.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What are the chances it will be built? Still working on the financing?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They have financing setup according to the report today.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is this supposed to be Baltimore in the foreground? It has a median so kind of confused.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

here's the hyatt regency near the denver convention center. hopefully the final design is closer to this vs a glass cube.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I want to see what the building looks like from the south, and west.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Is the rendering the view from the NE? The grass hill has me a little confused.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think so.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

looks like it should be named hyatt medical center. This thing fucking sucks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

mister816 wrote:looks like it should be named hyatt medical center. This thing fucking sucks.

Before we complain about its' appearance, let me point you to the Downtown Marriott at 12th and Wyandotte for a comparison. I will concede it's better at night when it turns into a LED billboard.

:lol:
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

It sounds like they are cutting every corner possible in order to make the numbers work.
“We’ve been working with Dunn every day on engineering,” Rattner said, explaining how the developers have offset the cost increases.

For instance, the developers will reduce excavation costs by moving the planned hotel tower closer to Baltimore Avenue and “outside of the giant rock cliff” on the site's west side, Rattner said.

They also have decided to build the hotel's meeting rooms over the 600-space parking garage to cut costs, and they have increased the size of the hotel floor plates to allow more rooms per floor.

The latter change will allow the developers to reduce the height of the hotel from 23 or 24 floors to 21 or 22, which will reduce elevator and exterior construction costs.
From the rendering, the term that comes to my mind is 'econobox'. Hopefully, that turns out to be unfair.

For reference the Hyatt Regency at the Denver Convention Center (image in a previous post) is 38 floors, 1100 rooms and cost $355m in 2005.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

missingkc wrote:It sounds like they are cutting every corner possible in order to make the numbers work.
“We’ve been working with Dunn every day on engineering,” Rattner said, explaining how the developers have offset the cost increases.

For instance, the developers will reduce excavation costs by moving the planned hotel tower closer to Baltimore Avenue and “outside of the giant rock cliff” on the site's west side, Rattner said.

They also have decided to build the hotel's meeting rooms over the 600-space parking garage to cut costs, and they have increased the size of the hotel floor plates to allow more rooms per floor.

The latter change will allow the developers to reduce the height of the hotel from 23 or 24 floors to 21 or 22, which will reduce elevator and exterior construction costs.
From the rendering, the term that comes to my mind is 'econobox'. Hopefully, that turns out to be unfair.

For reference the Hyatt Regency at the Denver Convention Center (image in a previous post) is 38 floors, 1100 rooms and cost $355m in 2005.
I smell citizens for responsible government delaying project as cause. They delayed project, prices spiked...Damage done. :evil: :cry:
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

This thing needs to go back to the drawing board. How can Kansas City have some of the top architectural and engineering firms in the US, and this is the crap we get? It does look like a hospital that would be fantastic if it was at 435 and Nall. Why not something similar to the Denver Hyatt, just shorter, like 25-26 stories versus 38?