OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL - Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel

Post by hartliss »

earthling wrote:Not only is Loews a quality upgrade, Hyatt may still want to be in downtown KC, which may spawn another project even if smaller.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 30409.html
Do you think Hyatt will want to stay in DT KC? Or would they try to resurrect their Plaza project?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Even with all the planned hotel rooms downtown KC is still a bit below comparable downtowns. If downtown KC can support 7K-8K total rooms and if true that Hyatt wants to be downtown, maybe so. Where was the Plaza site they proposed? The Plaza doesn't have many lots left to develop with recent announcements, if any large enough unless tearing something down.

Anyone have latest hotel room count and recent occupancy rates? I'm thinking downtown is at around 6K rooms or so from current/under construction/planned from RM to CC, maybe less.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Did anyone else notice the large grassy median on Baltimore on Loews proposal
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:Did anyone else notice the large grassy median on Baltimore on Loews proposal
it's likely artistic and nothing more.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by NorthOak »

More glass, I like it.

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NorthOak wrote:More glass, I like it.

To me it looks like they are widening the street with some land that currently makes up surface parking in the lower level of the site.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCBJ article...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -flag.html

Basically Loews willing to take more "substantial piece of equity in this project" than Hyatt.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It was Mike Burke vs. Mayor James in his first election. Does anyone think that Burke getting this convention center project off the ground puts him in a decent spot to win the next mayoral election? Anyone know if he's even interested in running?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

site still needs to be flipped...I know it won't happen but I'll go to my grave with that.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote:Where was the Plaza site they proposed? The Plaza doesn't have many lots left to develop with recent announcements, if any large enough unless tearing something down.
The Hyatt proposal on the Plaza was where the office tower is now slated to go on Pennsylvania.

The vacant lot to the east of that site, on the north side of 46th Terrace might be an option. It is a fairly narrow lot, but behind it are some nondescript little apartment buildings that I wouldn't be surprised to see torn down and bundled with the lot.

There is the planned hotel and residential combo development on the site of the Commerce Bank. I don't believe a flag was ever announced for that project, so I guess it could be a possibility.

Has there been any public announcement for the development on the site of the Nelle Peters apartments? I would be surprised if anything as large as a hotel would be approved for that site (with the current development environment for the Plaza).

There is also the large grass lot on 44th and Main owned by American Century (wasn't that supposed to become a sculpture garden?). I know that is a little disconnected from the Plaza. I really think the east side of Mill Creek Park could be reconfigured and given some attention so that it would integrate better with Main St. Put a nice park entrance on 44th Street with steps and a walkway that cut straight across the park to Broadway and all of those underdeveloped parcels suddenly become "on the Plaza". With the streetcar (hopefully) coming down Main, there is a lot of potential there.

Also, there was the concept floated for a Hyatt House on 34th and Broadway. Perhaps a Hyatt House would fit more easily around the Plaza then a traditional Hyatt.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: There is also the large grass lot on 44th and Main owned by American Century (wasn't that supposed to become a sculpture garden?). I know that is a little disconnected from the Plaza. I really think the east side of Mill Creek Park could be reconfigured and given some attention so that it would integrate better with Main St. Put a nice park entrance on 44th Street with steps and a walkway that cut straight across the park to Broadway and all of those underdeveloped parcels suddenly become "on the Plaza". With the streetcar (hopefully) coming down Main, there is a lot of potential there.
There is currently a request to vacate 44th street west of Main St on the development tracker.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Loews will be a great addition to Kansas City. Sadly, they have to keep the same design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If Hyatt wants to be downtown as previously mentioned, maybe they will sign on to the 20 story proposed hotel in Rivermarket
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Seems plausible. And while they tend to park near office buildings/airports/convention centers, the free streetcar helps - maybe one of their boutique brands. Otherwise could picture a boutique leaning or specialty operator going for the RM hotel.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

can a new construction hyatt be "boutique"? pretty sure that's what epoch said they wanted. seems like they'd want to be in the CBD, too... why not the spot at 14th & baltimore owned by DST that didn't make the cut for the convention hotel?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:can a new construction hyatt be "boutique"?
In general not considered so but loosely speaking W Hotel and others are often considered boutique brand even with new buildings.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

DaveKCMO wrote:can a new construction hyatt be "boutique"? pretty sure that's what epoch said they wanted. seems like they'd want to be in the CBD, too... why not the spot at 14th & baltimore owned by DST that didn't make the cut for the convention hotel?

or 14th and wyandotte, that would remove that terrible surface lot and bring more life onto that corner.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Or maybe anywhere in the north loop?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was kind of disappointed when I heard that Hyatt was bowing out but Loew's looks to be a great chain. And for once, we would be getting an up and coming brand early in its life instead of years after they become a household name.

https://www.loewshotels.com/
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 23999.html
Petitioners questioning the hotel wanted an election in November. But the council, on its own, repealed a hotel zoning and development agreement ordinance that it had approved in April, negating the need for an election.

The council voted 10-2 to repeal the April 20 ordinance. Council members Heather Hall and Teresa Loar were the lone dissenters.

The council had already replaced that April ordinance with a substitute zoning and development agreement measure on June 8 that allowed the hotel plan to move forward. That June measure could not be subjected to a referendum because it took effect immediately, so Thursday’s “repeal and replace” maneuver circumvented the petitioners’ intent.