OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by kcjak »

Let's hope we end up with a height more like the Sheraton and less like the Westin - they have about the same number of rooms as the new Hyatt. What time is the announcement today?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

We need a KcRag reporter there to ask the truly hard hitting questions. Who can volunteer? mgsports?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

LOL MG's beat appears to be southern JoCo and western Jackson Cty.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

MidtownCat wrote:
kboish wrote: Now that page link has been removed...the mystery deepens!
It most certainly does. I don't know if I can take much more floor count suspense!

THERE IS NO 13TH FLOOR!!!!11111!!!1
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Someone tweeted a photo of a scale mode which suggests height in renderings is accurate =D>

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellemoxley/s ... 00/photo/1
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

nice find on the twitpic.

is it just me or does the model show that the convention center would have a small expansion to the west of the building?
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

Even bigger question... What's being built in the parking lot in the SE corner at 16th and Baltimore, right behind Anton's?? Does this model builder know something we all don't know? 8-[
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

sorry, thought i attached an image.. im referring to the site model Cheffreygo linked to
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

archiKC wrote:Even bigger question... What's being built in the parking lot in the SE corner at 16th and Baltimore, right behind Anton's?? Does this model builder know something we all don't know? 8-[
It is strange that they would put that mystery building there and exclude the hotel currently under construction 1 block to the north...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Freeze framed one of the renderings shown at the press conference on TV. This is definitely a 40+ story building around 400 feet tall.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Larger image...
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

moderne wrote:Freeze framed one of the renderings shown at the press conference on TV. This is definitely a 40+ story building around 400 feet tall.
Judging by the model, I'm guessing 25 plus the thing on top
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Could the tower above the L-shaped base (which could match the 22 stories reported) be a possible expansion? Not proposed or planned, just possible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote:Could the tower above the L-shaped base (which could match the 22 stories reported) be a possible expansion? Not proposed or planned, just possible.
maybe. depends on how they engineer it.

like they would need to have enough structural support to handle more height, a way to extend utilities and elevator up, account for more rooms in the fire stairs, have extra elevators, build out the room service areas (food, cleaning, lobby capacity) and such to have extra space, etc, etc, etc.

it's possible but unless they foresee a need for another 300-500 more rooms before the building needs an upgrade it would make more sense for them to re-brand this one to a lesser chain and build a new Hyatt somewhere else downtown with brand new everything
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

missingkc wrote:Could the tower above the L-shaped base (which could match the 22 stories reported) be a possible expansion? Not proposed or planned, just possible.
That seems unlikely to me. Even if one window = one hotel room on the bottom half, it looks like that would max out close to 430ish rooms (12 floors x 9 rooms x 2 sides x 2 "wings"). I doubt they would announce 800+ rooms of future expansion was the case.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

LCDSI wrote:nice find on the twitpic.

is it just me or does the model show that the convention center would have a small expansion to the west of the building?
I'm pretty sure what you're looking at is the already existing west loading dock for Bartle Hall.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

any updates on floors / height yet??? I'M CURIOUS!!!!! I thought today was the day they are announcing it, and they are announcing it with out giving us any details!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is not likely the design is final so could be a while for that level of detail. They also have to acquire Hereford building they don't own. Also, 2018 may be optimistic target assuming everything goes as planned. Could go into 2019.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bhedges1987 wrote:any updates on floors / height yet??? I'M CURIOUS!!!!! I thought today was the day they are announcing it, and they are announcing it with out giving us any details!
One Light still hasn't given the official height yet. Don't expect that until completion of the building.

Floor number could be in flux until construction. As the project goes into engineering could see more or less floors, changing sizes of the structure and stuff based on actual engineering data. One Light changed floor numbers at least once before construction. There's a year before they plan to begin construction.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

Another angle of the site model on kctv5. Doesn't really confirm anything new, but helps give just a little more context from a view we haven't seen yet.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/29032384/may ... el-project