OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by Cheffreygo »

bhedges1987 wrote:
Cheffreygo wrote:
bhedges1987 wrote:But I guess if you add it up. 23 floors x the amount of Windows across x 2 for a room on each side of the building. It does equal around 800 rooms... So perhaps I'm wrong. This does seem to be a 23 story hotel.
So are you suggesting that 1 window horizontally = one room?
It must because it's an odd # of Windows. So one window equals one room horizontally
Could also be an extra window for elevator hallway. Who knows. What a mystery :P
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

Could also be an extra window for elevator hallway. Who knows. What a mystery :P[/quote]
True. Didn't think of that.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I know this technically isn't on topic, but I've just got to say... this is fun. I moved to KC in 2007 when the city seemed to be building a ton of momentum marked by tower cranes everywhere (Spring Center, P&L District, PAC, IRS Building, Fed Reserve, etc.). Then the recession (and even worse, Funkhouser's term) hit. It seems like for years exciting development news was pretty infrequent or very far off, but getting on here is starting to feel like it did in 2007 again.

There is a pretty constant stream of exciting news happening in KC. There is an amazing groundswell of pride in KC like I've never seen before. It seems like a week doesn't go by without hearing something pretty exciting.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Based on all of the renderings they released, I find it hard to believe they screwed up the scale and it is actually going to be much shorter than the PnL Building and so is only 22 stories tall. So if it really is the same size or close to the same size then its got to be closer to 40 stories. The hotel is definitely on a hill- so if its not 40+ stories, its got to be close.

The KC star person could have misunderstood how they were describing the building. There is definitely a main tower on top of the rest of the structure. So maybe 24 stories of hotel rooms on top of a 5-6 story garage and 4-5 stories of restaurant, retail, or other uses.

Dont forget, the old Hyatt is something like 40 stories and has about 800 rooms also.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

ldai_phs wrote:Would love to see a rendering that includes One and Two light with this Hotel.
Agreed. Also arterra and the copaken Brooks twist tower and other future skyline additions
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote:Based on all of the renderings they released, I find it hard to believe they screwed up the scale and it is actually going to be much shorter than the PnL Building and so is only 22 stories tall. So if it really is the same size or close to the same size then its got to be closer to 40 stories. The hotel is definitely on a hill- so if its not 40+ stories, its got to be close.

The KC star person could have misunderstood how they were describing the building. There is definitely a main tower on top of the rest of the structure. So maybe 24 stories of hotel rooms on top of a 5-6 story garage and 4-5 stories of restaurant, retail, or other uses.

Dont forget, the old Hyatt is something like 40 stories and has about 800 rooms also.
Two Light's 499 spot garage is 6 stories, the Haytt has 500-600 spots I believe.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

JBmidtown wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Would love to see a rendering that includes One and Two light with this Hotel.
Agreed. Also arterra and the copaken Brooks twist tower and other future skyline additions
Wish I knew how to photoshop. They should start a thread teaching the basics of downtown skyline photoshopping.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

I wish I had more time to really play with this stuff and make it look good, but this is the best I can do for now. The before picture goes back to before KPAC was built. The after includes 2, 3, and 4 light. It's missing Arterra, the smaller hotel going up beside the new Hyatt, and a large twisty tower would look great behind two light. If any details about it are confirmed I'll work it in there.

Last edited by joshmv on Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

joshmv wrote:I wish I had more time to really play with this stuff and make it look good, but this is the best I can do for now. The before picture goes back to before KPAC was built. The after includes 2, 3, and 4 light. It's missing Arterra, the smaller hotel going up beside the new Hyatt, a little bit of one light that would be peeking over three light, and a large twisty tower would look great behind two light. If any details about it are confirmed I'll work it in there.

Looks good, 1,2,3,4 Light don't do add much to the skyline compared with the Hyatt.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

ldai_phs wrote:
kboish wrote:Based on all of the renderings they released, I find it hard to believe they screwed up the scale and it is actually going to be much shorter than the PnL Building and so is only 22 stories tall. So if it really is the same size or close to the same size then its got to be closer to 40 stories. The hotel is definitely on a hill- so if its not 40+ stories, its got to be close.

Two Light's 499 spot garage is 6 stories, the Haytt has 500-600 spots I believe.
are those 6 stories included into the 24 stories?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bhedges1987 wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:

Basically everything below the top 2 boxes are not part of the 23 floors. Add 7 to that for the base portion and that brings us up to 30 floors. Add 4 stories to that for the grill thing on top and that brings us up to 34 floors(same height as P/L building). The renderings support this.

I don't see why they decided to build that side tower instead of making the main tower taller. The side tower only helps to block the view of the P/L building from the south.
The tower instead could have been 42 stories.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ldai_phs wrote:
bhedges1987 wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:
Basically everything below the top 2 boxes are not part of the 23 floors. Add 7 to that for the base portion and that brings us up to 30 floors. Add 4 stories to that for the grill thing on top and that brings us up to 34 floors(same height as P/L building). The renderings support this.

I don't see why they decided to build that side tower instead of making the main tower taller. The side tower only helps to block the view of the P/L building from the south.
The tower instead could have been 42 stories.
"The hotel will include 75,000 square feet of meeting, banquet and pre-convention space; 15,450 square feet of retail, restaurant and bar space; a 9,913-square-foot recreational facility; and structured parking with 450-500 spaces." - KC BJ

This is what will be contained in the base I believe.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't worry. It will most likely not be the final rendering. That is an announcement rendering. The developers, and Hyatt, will probably make modifications over time, and could possible even choose a different look.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

for the record, the hotel i hinted at awhile back is a different project: a small boutique property not near the convention center.

the best part of this deal is the financing. it really is a testament that KCMO doesn't have to act desperate anymore to get deals done.

on a side note, the $2 million annual contribution is identical to the city's annual contributions to the sports complex and streetcar TDD (although the streetcar contribution does not come from the general fund, but rather the existing 1/2-cent transportation tax).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This doesn't come from the general fund either.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:This doesn't come from the general fund either.
correct, based on the star article. i just like reminding people that the streetcar money didn't come from there either.

i'd imagine the stadiums subsidy does, since it's debated annually.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:This doesn't come from the general fund either.
correct, based on the star article. i just like reminding people that the streetcar money didn't come from there either.

i'd imagine the stadiums subsidy does, since it's debated annually.
Instead of this toy train, fix the schools dave!
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Made the mistake of reading TKC comments about this news. That place must contain some of the most terrible people in the world...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:
joshmv wrote:I wish I had more time to really play with this stuff and make it look good, but this is the best I can do for now. The before picture goes back to before KPAC was built. The after includes 2, 3, and 4 light. It's missing Arterra, the smaller hotel going up beside the new Hyatt, a little bit of one light that would be peeking over three light, and a large twisty tower would look great behind two light. If any details about it are confirmed I'll work it in there.

Looks good, 1,2,3,4 Light don't do add much to the skyline compared with the Hyatt.
You forgot a building in the images. The new hotel at 16th and Baltimore under construction right now. It's tall enough to be visible from that angle.

Also might add the building in the foreground. There's a project about two blocks up from the front edge missing too.
Last edited by flyingember on Sun May 10, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Cheffreygo wrote:Made the mistake of reading TKC comments about this news. That place must contain some of the most terrible people in the world...
I respect the right for someone to be against a project. We need people to point out bad ideas and question the government, make the city actually support good ideas only.

But that site's comments are just racist, sexist, insulting, personal attacks abound, etc.