On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by Critical_Mass »

kcjak wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Last week’s auction however, only yielded a high bid of $7.9 million so he pulled the Firestone off the market.
Anyone know the market rate value for this property?
$7.9 million, apparently
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The parcel at 2001 Grand is assessed based on a value of 2,657,500.

If you ever thought there's a disparity between market rate and the real market, this goes to show it.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

atticus23 wrote: I find this building to be very handsome. I like the mix of materials; would make great loft space.

Agreed. And if it had been in the hands of literally another other developer (apart from possibly Copaken), it would have been functioning as great loft space for a decade by now.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

$7.9 million seemed like a decent offer, just wasn't sure. Even though the building is solid, it still needs things like electrical upgrades and there is currently only one non-service elevator that breaks down weekly. Unfortunately, I see him holding on for a while longer.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Turning down $7.9 m. is a reflection of the owners underlying disconnect.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The folks that have been sitting on property the longest will be the last to sell. They have been dreaming of the huge payout for years and they're not about to be disappointed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Des Moines has a 33 Story Tower Proposed. STl has multiple 20-35 Story Towers going up. Yet we can't get buildings like this redeveloped in a timely manner.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You can't get them redeveloped if the owner if unwilling to sell at a fair price, and sits on properties for years hoping for some big payday.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That's why we need a land tax or actual value tax like they use in Pennsylvania.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

--bahua, 2003
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mean wrote:--bahua, 2003
Correct.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Update: The Yards in W Bottoms, 232 units, mentions some space for retail, breaking ground in March...
https://cityscenekc.com/the-yards-break ... l-project/

More lego utilitarian buildings posing as minimalism. Fine I suppose for this location but it is pretty bland. At least 232 more units and retail, right...
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

This is a big bet on the future of the west bottoms, which has been incredibly slow to develop and lacking any type of retail or new construction.

Yes, this is a pretty bland building, but’s it’s removing a service parking lot, adding 200+ housing units, hopefully increasing essential retail (bank, convenience store, etc.) that the area does not have.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah no complaints for this location but ideally this doesn't establish a pattern for more cinder block looking buildings around downtown. Scattered about OK but ideally not a new norm.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So what's the crane count right now downtown? Two at the Loew's convention hotel, 1 at the 16th Main hotel and 1 on hospital hill. Any more?

I know there was a crane at the Copaken residential project but that has topped out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ARTerra still has one crane up.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

KCMax wrote:I just wanted to keep an updated sticky for on-going development projects in downtown KC (let's define that loosely as the River Market-Crossroads-Plaza Corridor). I would like to continually update this.

I would like to keep this to concrete proposals (even if they don't come to fruition) rather than abstract concept.

Also see, KCDowntown's wonderful downtown development map.

Last updated: April 18, 2014

I really like this map, and although the city has its development tracker that shows the whole city, it would be really nice if this map showed the whole city's development along the existing streetcar route and proposed route. I understand this might be daunting to add all of the projects, but I would be willing to help.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

miz.jordan17 wrote:
KCMax wrote:I just wanted to keep an updated sticky for on-going development projects in downtown KC (let's define that loosely as the River Market-Crossroads-Plaza Corridor). I would like to continually update this.

I would like to keep this to concrete proposals (even if they don't come to fruition) rather than abstract concept.

Also see, KCDowntown's wonderful downtown development map.

Last updated: April 18, 2014

I really like this map, and although the city has its development tracker that shows the whole city, it would be really nice if this map showed the whole city's development along the existing streetcar route and proposed route. I understand this might be daunting to add all of the projects, but I would be willing to help.
This one tracks a little further out: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 36522&z=14
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

miz.jordan17 wrote: I really like this map, and although the city has its development tracker that shows the whole city, it would be really nice if this map showed the whole city's development along the existing streetcar route and proposed route. I understand this might be daunting to add all of the projects, but I would be willing to help.
Yo, it's nice to hear someone else is looking at the map of downtown development that I've kept up with for the last couple of years. Sometimes I wonder if it is just me looking at it.

With the streetcar extending south, I've thought about opening it up past 31st (which is what I personally think of as the southern border of downtown). I'll start to add things that come up, and over time add in the historical ones as well. Eventually, I'll get it comprehensive.

KCDowntown
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCDowntown wrote:
miz.jordan17 wrote: I really like this map, and although the city has its development tracker that shows the whole city, it would be really nice if this map showed the whole city's development along the existing streetcar route and proposed route. I understand this might be daunting to add all of the projects, but I would be willing to help.
Yo, it's nice to hear someone else is looking at the map of downtown development that I've kept up with for the last couple of years. Sometimes I wonder if it is just me looking at it.

With the streetcar extending south, I've thought about opening it up past 31st (which is what I personally think of as the southern border of downtown). I'll start to add things that come up, and over time add in the historical ones as well. Eventually, I'll get it comprehensive.

KCDowntown
I check in every couple of weeks. Really appreciate the work.