On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by shinatoo »

If leasing of PNL building goes well could we see a similar development on that site?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

That pit where the old parking garage was torn down looks terrible. It still has the temporary fence up and looks like they just finished demolition work yesterday. I hope it does not fester like that for too much longer.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Eon Blue wrote:That pit where the old parking garage was torn down looks terrible. It still has the temporary fence up and looks like they just finished demolition work yesterday. I hope it does not fester like that for too much longer.
Yes, completely agree. It looks like a bomb was dropped directly in the center - awful.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i can't see that location ending up being anything other than a hotel. I would prefer a mixed condo/hotel project but i don't see it happening.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Has anyone else noticed the strange, undefined, polygonal renderings in the PDF? There's at least three of them (one south of Traders building, one in Quality hill and another directly west of the convention center on Broadway). What are those supposed to be placeholders for?
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

JBmidtown wrote:Has anyone else noticed the strange, undefined, polygonal renderings in the PDF? There's at least three of them (one south of Traders building, one in Quality hill and another directly west of the convention center on Broadway). What are those supposed to be placeholders for?
In the case of 12th & Grand and Quality Hill they appear to be buildings in transition for demolition.
The one south of Traders building is the demolished Law Building and it's neighbor.
Both are now an empty lot and part of the Copaken plan for the block.

The one in Quality hill... not sure. Maybe a building to be rehabbed or demoed?

The one directly west of the convention center on Broadway is the Grace & Holy Trinity Cathedral.
I don't know of any plans to add to the church so I'm not sure why they've added the renderings.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

Current apartment/loft/condo projects to open this year or in coming years:

City Club Apartments/Midwest Hotel: 295 units
The Gallerie @ 27th & Gillham: 359 units
East9: 260 units
River Market West Phase II: 112 units
Mark Twain Tower: 154 units
ARTerra: 125 units
1923 Broadway: 225 units
531 Grand: 140 units
2nd and Delaware: 276 units
The Union: 398 units
New England Building: 32 units
Atlas Lofts: 20 units
Commerce Tower: 342 units
Trader's on Grand: 196 units
Two Light: 300 units
Summit on Quality Hill: 251 units
Apex on Quality Hill: 130 units
Crossroads West: 273 units
Power & Light North: 88 units

Total: 3,976 units

Current hotel projects to open this year, or in coming years:
Old Federal Reserve: 325 rooms
Hyatt Convention Hotel: 800 rooms
Aparium Hotel: 124 rooms
HIlton Home2 Suites Hotel: 112 rooms
21c Museum Hotel KC: 120 rooms
Hotel Indigo: 80 rooms

Total: 1,611 rooms

Looks like we are on track to smashing the city's goal for 2020.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

UrbanKC wrote:Current apartment/loft/condo projects to open this year or in coming years:

Aren't there 2 Hotel Indigos? And the Iron Horse and Hampton Inn in the Crossroads, as well as Holiday Inn Express (is this the Aparium?) and Embassy Suites in the old Federal Reserve?
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

kcjak wrote:
UrbanKC wrote:Current apartment/loft/condo projects to open this year or in coming years:

Aren't there 2 Hotel Indigos? And the Iron Horse and Hampton Inn in the Crossroads, as well as Holiday Inn Express (is this the Aparium?) and Embassy Suites in the old Federal Reserve?
Not sure about the first two, I don't know enough about most of these projects. I only looked them up for the numbers. Federal reserve is included there.

I might mention that I didn't pad the numbers with theoretical projects, or projects that are many years out.

Dave recently mentioned a "Six Light" being discussed. If they added two more towers (Five and Six) to their plans, that would mean they still have around 1,200 units left to develop for Power and Light, judging on the sizes of One and Two.

Then there is the languishing/dormant East Village, which seems to promise over 1,200 units or something. But who knows how that is going to shake out.

Then the rest of the Riverfront park project, which seems like they could fit 600-800 more units on their property.

The goal will be hit by 2020 for sure, and if the market holds together, it will be crushed past 2020.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

both hotel indigos are under construction now. iron horse starts this month. HI express doesn't look active, even though that has been promised. old fed is technically active, but lack of movement suggests it's at risk.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So according to this 2015 downtown housing report (sure would like to see an update)...
http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/up ... tation.pdf

...there are 1.9 persons per household downtown. Though that includes about 3400 single family homes outskirts of DT that would likely have higher pph so let's go with 1.6 pph for buildings.

That would mean about 6400 boost in downtown population for about 4000 new units. Not too shabby, especially given most units are in RM/Loop/Xroads corridor.

Anyone have a recent estimate of greater downtown population? I'd expect it to be over 23K now, so if the case the new additions would put it around 30K.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

earthling wrote:

So according to this 2015 downtown housing report (sure would like to see an update)...
http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/up ... tation.pdf

...there are 1.9 persons per household downtown. Though that includes about 3400 single family homes outskirts of DT that would likely have higher pph so let's go with 1.6 pph for buildings.

That would mean about 6400 boost in downtown population for about 4000 new units. Not too shabby, especially given most units are in RM/Loop/Xroads corridor.

Anyone have a recent estimate of greater downtown population? I'd expect it to be over 23K now, so if the case the new additions would put it around 30K.
kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?t=20081

According to that, its estimated at 24k. Goal is 35k, so it seems like the city is on track to meet their goal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So 35K in 4-5 years is realistic at this pace, maybe not by 2020 but still pretty good. Is plausible pace could pick up for units opening after 2020.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Got this in the Metrowire newsletter. That's a big lot and I know it's where some are hoping a new baseball stadium would go.
Block Real Estate Services lists two city blocks in Crossroads

BRES Crossroads listing
BRES is listing 5.7 acres in the East Crossroads.
BY KRISTA KLAUS, Managing Editor

Block Real Estate Services, LLC (BRES) has brought to market almost six acres of prime real estate in downtown Kansas City's Crossroads Arts District, creating an "unmatched opportunity" for a large mixed-use or recreational project.

The two parcels of available land are located along 19th Street between Oak and Cherry streets and joined at Locust Street in the East Crossroads near Crown Center and the KC Streetcar.

"The inclusion of Locust Street in the sale of the Crossroads Arts District property offers an unmatched opportunity for a single buyer to come in and develop a substantial piece of business in the heart of Kansas City," said BRES Principal and listing agent Michael Block. "The site's size alone has tremendous value, since it can accommodate a large mixed-use development property."

Featuring flat terrain and centralized utilities, the development-ready land has an asking price of $7.541 million or $30 per square foot. Owners Crown Center Redevelopment Corporation and Kissel Properties will work with the City to ensure the site is built in accordance with existing plans for the area, according to a release.

Interested developers should contact Michael Block or Keiten Nuspl for more information.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If I'm reading that right, Crown Center is selling more land flanking Locust and Block added in some of theirs along Oak
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

From the picture in the email, it's everything on two blocks between Oak and Cherry and 19th and 20th with the exception of the Northeast corner where the truck lot is located. I assume that is owned by the construction company east of Cherry. They would need the lot east of Cherry and the lot south of 20th, at minimum, to build a stadium.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just for reference, that lot is 200 x 150 yards. Children's Mercy park is 200x200 yards. Wrigley Field is about 200x200. Fenway is 175 x 230. Both TSC stadiums are 250 x 250 each.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was going to say, the site in question seems quite a bit smaller than what would be required for a ballpark. And that leaves out the problem of where you'd cram 20,000-odd cars.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mean wrote:I was going to say, the site in question seems quite a bit smaller than what would be required for a ballpark. And that leaves out the problem of where you'd cram 20,000-odd cars.
Yeah, and that's just physical stadium sizes, not including plaza areas around the stadium.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

shinatoo wrote: The two parcels of available land are located along 19th Street between Oak and Cherry streets and joined at Locust Street in the East Crossroads near Crown Center and the KC Streetcar.
I have always felt that the only way we turn around the 18th & Vine district is to back fill the east crossroads along 18th & 19th Streets headed toward Paseo. Perhaps a streetcar leg connecting Main to 18th & Vine will be the only way this happens.