On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby WoodDraw » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Copaken vaporware

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby KCtoBrooklyn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Move to end Missouri housing credits threatens $80M downtown project:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/11/19/missouri-matching-low-income-housing-tax-credits.html

A state commission's move to eliminate Missouri's matching low-income housing tax credit program, if sustained, will kill an $80 million apartment project that was on the verge of being announced in Kansas City's downtown freeway loop, a local developer specializing in affordable housing projects said Friday.

...

According to Hrabe, he had been on the verge of announcing a partnership with the New Jersey-based Michaels Organization, one of the nation's largest affordable housing developers, that would have led to the purchase of an undisclosed downtown site, where the partners planned to build a mixed-income project including 400 apartment units.


I'm guessing this would have been in the East Village area?

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Move to end Missouri housing credits threatens $80M downtown project:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/11/19/missouri-matching-low-income-housing-tax-credits.html

A state commission's move to eliminate Missouri's matching low-income housing tax credit program, if sustained, will kill an $80 million apartment project that was on the verge of being announced in Kansas City's downtown freeway loop, a local developer specializing in affordable housing projects said Friday.

...

According to Hrabe, he had been on the verge of announcing a partnership with the New Jersey-based Michaels Organization, one of the nation's largest affordable housing developers, that would have led to the purchase of an undisclosed downtown site, where the partners planned to build a mixed-income project including 400 apartment units.


I'm guessing this would have been in the East Village area?

Nope. Was planned for another area. Heard developer is changing gears and will try to use city incentives to build in the East Village.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby FangKC » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Developer May Shift Affordable Apartment Project Threatened by State Tax Credit Cut to East Village


Developer Kelley Hrabe is scrambling to salvage his plan to build 400 affordable apartments downtown following a sudden shift in state policy and plans to pitch his project for the long-dormant East Village redevelopment area.

Hrabe of Prairie Fire Development was about to announce his residential project at another downtown location when Gov. Greitens abruptly jeopardized the deal by announcing Nov. 17 he was cutting the low-income tax credit program from the budget.

The developer said the state low-income tax credits were vital to financing the project he envisioned for an undisclosed site within the downtown Loop.


https://tinyurl.com/yag98kgo

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby kboish » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am

Critical_Mass wrote:The article includes this rendering of the 10-story option:

Image


Ordinance introduced to transfer this property to LCRA to "facilitate redevelopment within the Grand Avenue Office Campus Urban Renewal Area". It could mean something is brewing or it could just be checking off an administrative to-do list.

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Roanoke/Volker

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby atticus23 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Isn’t this the same site as the twisty tower?

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:45 am

yes

mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Downtown

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby mister816 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 am

atticus23 wrote:Isn’t this the same site as the twisty tower?

yep, the twisty tower is gone, you should have known that KC would not get anything unique or innovative built here.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28272
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby KCPowercat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 am

It's still an option but it needs a tenant.

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby taxi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am

KCPowercat wrote:It's still an option but it needs a tenant.

That's the twist!

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3927
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby moderne » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 am

Detroit is building an 800' tower without any tenant.

hartliss
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby hartliss » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:01 pm

moderne wrote:Detroit is building an 800' tower without any tenant.


Helps to have a billionaire businessman based in Detroit willing to take on such risk. Love this quote from someone on his team:

He added: “If everything we did in Detroit over the past seven years was dictated by lenders, we never would have gotten going. We’re trying to take this market to the next level — that means that we can’t be at the mercy of conservative lenders."

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby loftguy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:32 pm

hartliss wrote:
He added: “If everything we did in Detroit over the past seven years was dictated by lenders, we never would have gotten going. We’re trying to take this market to the next level — that means that we can’t be at the mercy of conservative lenders."



TRUTH

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby kboish » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 pm

kboish wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:The article includes this rendering of the 10-story option:

Image


Ordinance introduced to transfer this property to LCRA to "facilitate redevelopment within the Grand Avenue Office Campus Urban Renewal Area". It could mean something is brewing or it could just be checking off an administrative to-do list.


Sounded administrative for site consolidation. Nothing imminent

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby FangKC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Nick Abnos indicates he hopes to sell the Firestone Building and Romanelli Shops to finance the renovation of his property at 10th and Oak (formerly called the Insurance Building) into a boutique hotel.

I'd prefer Abnos just sell all his buildings, and the best thing that could happen to the 10th and Oak building is for the ownership of the East 9 at Pickwick Plaza development to buy it and do the renovation and management.

Developer Hopes to Raise Money to Finish Renovating Eyesore Building at 10th and Oak

https://tinyurl.com/ybooqq7h

Image

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16164
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Last week’s auction however, only yielded a high bid of $7.9 million so he pulled the Firestone off the market.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3927
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby moderne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 pm

He may have better luck with the value of the Romanelli shops on Gregory. That Egyptian mausoleum next door to the Oak bldng would make a cool townhouse.

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Roanoke/Volker

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby atticus23 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

FangKC wrote:Nick Abnos indicates he hopes to sell the Firestone Building and Romanelli Shops to finance the renovation of his property at 10th and Oak (formerly called the Insurance Building) into a boutique hotel.

I'd prefer Abnos just sell all his buildings, and the best thing that could happen to the 10th and Oak building is for the ownership of the East 9 at Pickwick Plaza development to buy it and do the renovation and management.

Developer Hopes to Raise Money to Finish Renovating Eyesore Building at 10th and Oak

https://tinyurl.com/ybooqq7h

Image


I find this building to be very handsome. I like the mix of materials; would make great loft space.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 pm

moderne wrote:Detroit is building an 800' tower without any tenant.

ST. Louis Community College is building a 33 story Apartment Tower in Downtown STL

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Postby kcjak » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Last week’s auction however, only yielded a high bid of $7.9 million so he pulled the Firestone off the market.


Anyone know the market rate value for this property?


Return to “Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests