On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by kboish »

AlbertHammond wrote:
shinatoo wrote: The two parcels of available land are located along 19th Street between Oak and Cherry streets and joined at Locust Street in the East Crossroads near Crown Center and the KC Streetcar.
I have always felt that the only way we turn around the 18th & Vine district is to back fill the east crossroads along 18th & 19th Streets headed toward Paseo. Perhaps a streetcar leg connecting Main to 18th & Vine will be the only way this happens.
I totally agree- and frankly, I'm sure most people on the council even agree. Which is why it was so odd that the LCRA tried to nickle and dime the abatement request for a proposal of 104 units at 18th and Holmes. The developer is walking away (it seems) and because of the uncertainty in the abatement process, I'm sure you will not get any more proposals for that corridor for at least another few years.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

A couple of years to wait and not necessarily get as big an abatement request for 15-20 years isn't a bad deal.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You won't make up 3 years of development by saving 13% abatement over 5 years.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

And it could be 5,7, 8, 10-15 years before anything gets going there because of that...who-knows?

That abatement would have proven the market for eastward expansion of development along 18th street. It seems to me like it would have been a seminal project for the corridor.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yep. Nickle and dime was an apt description.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What are the major projects in the greater downtown area that are currently ongoing?

I know there is Two Light which should be near topping out about now I would think but what are the others under construction?. I've lost track. A lot of projects under construction I saw last time in KC should be about finished by now (Quality Hill apartments, Corrigan Building, P&L apartments).
Unfortunately, I don't see myself getting back to KC for a few months and just wondering how much change to expect in the downtown area?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Indep Ave/Grand apartments
Traders on Grand (the elevator scaffold is up)
The apartments between Broadway and I-35 at the terminal rr

Flashcube conversion, convention hotel, a couple crossroads renovations into hotels are current or upcoming but I forget the timeframe
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Highlander wrote:What are the major projects in the greater downtown area that are currently ongoing?

I know there is Two Light which should be near topping out about now I would think but what are the others under construction?. I've lost track. A lot of projects under construction I saw last time in KC should be about finished by now (Quality Hill apartments, Corrigan Building, P&L apartments).
Unfortunately, I don't see myself getting back to KC for a few months and just wondering how much change to expect in the downtown area?
The ones you mentioned are all wrapped up or wrapping up. Here are some other ones off the top of my head in addition to what flyingember mentioned.

Under construction
300+ units @ 2nd and Delaware
Hospital Hill addition
300+ units @ 27th/Gilham

Starting sometime this year (supposedly)
125 units @ 21st/Wyandotte- Copaken's 12 story Xroads tower
300 units @ 20th and main- old hereford site
200+ units @ 19th and Broadway-Fautless Linens site
Convention Hotel @ 16th and Wyandotte
7 story hotel @ 16th and Main
UMKC Conservatory?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

pash wrote:Don't forget the 400-unit apartment building going up at the riverfront. The last time I was down there, a few weeks ago, the footings were poured and it was about to start going vertical.

The big story, I feel, is that development is finally moving beyond Greater Downtown and the Plaza. The building at 3435 Main is about to open, after a quick assembly of pre-fab modules, becoming the first substantial new-construction apartment building in central midtown in years. A couple of bigger projects are heading towards groundbreaking in Westport next year or the year after. Look for a lot more projects to be announced after the full series of streetcar elections is finished next year.
This is going vertical. I was there yesterday and they have a few concrete walls up and a lot of wood framing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Power & Light Apartments. Appears finished. People have begun moving in.

Summit on Quality Hill, in the area south of 12th Street at Washington, Pennsylvania, and Jefferson. Mostly completed. Residents have moved in many units.

Apex on Quality Hill, 10th and Jefferson. Framed in. Still under construction. No residents.

Courtyard/Residence Inn Hotel, 16th and Baltimore. Opens in August.

Hilton Suites, 20th and Main. Framed in. Construction ongoing.

Hotel Indigo in the former Farifax/Brookfield Building. Work has started. The exterior is being cleaned and restored.

Walnut Terrace (1721 Walnut). Under construction.

Savoy Hotel renovation. Work has started.

Pickwick Hotel renovation. Work has started and is ongoing.

531 Grand apartments. Under construction. Framed in. Windows being installed.

Columbus Park apartments, located between 3rd and 5th streets, Holmes and Charlotte. Buildings are up. Work ongoing. Appears to be move-in ready soon.

2nd and Delaware. Concrete work is ongoing.

Holiday Inn Express in the Interstate Building at 13th and Locust. Work is ongoing. Owner says the hotel will open in September.

Argyle Building. Mostly finished. Residents are moving in. Retail space is mostly finished and being advertised.

Atlas Lofts in Berlau Paper Building, Truman Road and Walnut. Now leasing.

New England Building renovation/conversion to lofts, 9th and Wyandotte. Under construction.

Folgers buildings / Roasters Block. North building finished and mostly occupied. South building will begin move-ins in July.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:Power & Light Apartments. Appears finished. People have begun moving in.

Summit on Quality Hill, in the area south of 12th Street at Washington, Pennsylvania, and Jefferson. Mostly completed. Residents have moved in many units.

Apex on Quality Hill, 10th and Jefferson. Framed in. Still under construction. No residents.

Courtyard/Residence Inn Hotel, 16th and Baltimore. Opens in August.

Hilton Suites, 20th and Main. Framed in. Construction ongoing.

Hotel Indigo in the former Farifax/Brookfield Building. Work has started. The exterior is being cleaned and restored.

Walnut Terrace (1721 Walnut). Under construction.

Savoy Hotel renovation. Work has started.

Pickwick Hotel renovation. Work has started and is ongoing.

531 Grand apartments. Under construction. Framed in. Windows being installed.

Columbus Park apartments, located between 3rd and 5th streets, Holmes and Charlotte. Buildings are up. Work ongoing. Appears to be move-in ready soon.

2nd and Delaware. Concrete work is ongoing.

Holiday Inn Express in the Interstate Building at 13th and Locust. Work is ongoing. Owner says the hotel will open in September.

Argyle Building. Mostly finished. Residents are moving in. Retail space is mostly finished and being advertised.

Atlas Lofts in Berlau Paper Building, Truman Road and Walnut. Now leasing.

New England Building renovation/conversion to lofts, 9th and Wyandotte. Under construction.

Folgers buildings / Roasters Block. North building finished and mostly occupied. South building will begin move-ins in July.
Thanks. Nice synopsis. A lot of activity on the residential and hotel front. Be interesting to see when the next office building gets built downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Downtown Kansas City Apartment Boom Fueled by Return to Walkable Living

http://cityscenekc.com/downtown-kansas- ... le-living/
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

This isn't necessarily a new development but did happen to see this listing on Cushman Wakefield - hope it gets bought and developed appropriately

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/C39B0B41 ... 5E6409.pdf
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Nice to see that lot marketed. 28K sqft land for $2.5M. Any records of how much other recent central downtown lots sold for in comparison?

Perhaps other lot owners would be more willing to sell if that lot sells for that much. Would be nice to see large open lots developed around 7th/8th and Wyandotte/Baltimore area. They would be prime locations for some 'new tallest' buildings in KC.

The pace of development is pretty good since streetcar opened but a little disappointing there hasn't been more announcements for surface lots within a couple blocks of line (outside River Market, which has nearly every developable lot with something proposed). Are owners of the lots asking too much/not interested or are developers not even attempting to pursue? Maybe when Class A office vacancy gets below 12% some developers will look to pull trigger. And are there maybe too many high end residential units in progress that is holding off residential developers seeking lots?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

hartliss wrote:This isn't necessarily a new development but did happen to see this listing on Cushman Wakefield - hope it gets bought and developed appropriately

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/C39B0B41 ... 5E6409.pdf
This one is interesting, since it's the associated parking for the Savoy.

Could this be the first medium sized building selling off their parking lot?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is odd that the hotel developer would consider selling their surface parking lot. I wonder if they are looking for a developer who will lease them back parking spaces in any new parking garage that might be part of a proposed development?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

IIRC, the OKC 21c worked deals to have apartments built on the surrounding parking lots. Let's hope the same thing is happening here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does anyone know what this article says?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... evard.html