River Market West

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: River Market West

Post by Eon Blue »

KCtonic wrote:They say open in Summer 2015 which I guess might be possible in the first (North) building. I fear what they will do if/when they develop the empty lot across the street...

This is the drawing of what it will look like finished. My wife thinks its about as "attractive" as a dorm. Wow. I'm thinking there will be a fence around that pool in the real world - also missing the beautiful taxi building adjacent to it's West side.
Third Street west of Wyandotte is going to be a long, lonely canyon between this and Market Station. You'll have to go all the way to the underside of the Broadway Bridge until you can go south to Fourth Street. DNA tried to get Birt to put a pedestrian connection between the (former) Populous garage and RMW. His response was basically, "meh."
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they posted a few pics from this evening's construction preview: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RM-West-Apartments/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

did hear correctly that this project has already been sold and george birt is no longer involved?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:did hear correctly that this project has already been sold and george birt is no longer involved?
Yes it is sold.

Specifics not verified, but believe it does not go final until Certificate of Occupancy is issued and (maybe) a percentage of occupancy is achieved.

So, George still has reason to show up every day....
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A little disappointed with the lack of pedestrian level inviting 'feel' despite being streetfront, especially on N side, but not a disaster. Not a big deal given it's at the W edge of RM but they could have done a better job with streetlevel integration. Looks like quick and dirty plop down whatever ASAP.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The north side of this project is a terrible experience for pedestrians. Very unfortunate this type of blank wall development is allowed in RM...
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

It will be good to have more residents in the neighborhood. However, I used to live in the suburbs and this Birt project wreaks of a suburban apartment complex. Quick & cheap construction, poor pedestrian design. And if it's like all of his past projects it is already leaking water every time it rains.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grand opening on oct. 13.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I've decided this is one ugly building.

it's not the colors or patterns, it's that it's so flat. Adjusting the height a little with each color would have made a big difference
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

flyingember wrote:I've decided this is one ugly building.

it's not the colors or patterns, it's that it's so flat. Adjusting the height a little with each color would have made a big difference

Wait, this is done? Every time I drive by it I have been assuming that more trim/detail work is coming to finish it off.

Right now it looks like a middle school construction paper art project. I half expect to see South Park characters looking out the windows.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Could someone post a couple pics for us out of towners, please.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://rmwest.com

Normally renderings look worse than the end results. In this case, they look better
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

is anyone on this board a resident of RMW? or have you heard from anyone who is?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I have an acquaintance who was the first move in. At last report some weeks ago, he is very pleased.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

RM sold to GFI Capital of NYC. They say they are also in early stages of development of two other kc projects with 1,800 housing units within 18 months.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 23060.html
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i didn't even know that it was up for sale.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Hasn't Birt mentioned plans for another project just north of River Market West? Maybe this sale will move that project forward.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote:Hasn't Birt mentioned plans for another project just north of River Market West? Maybe this sale will move that project forward.
just south of, along Indep Ave. just north of is Market Station

All the empty land including the alley/former rr row is owned by rmwest llc but with a different address than the existing building.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

ldai_phs wrote:RM sold to GFI Capital of NYC. They say they are also in early stages of development of two other kc projects with 1,800 housing units within 18 months.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 23060.html
1,800 is a whole lot of units for two projects. That is almost 6 times One Light. I wonder if that Star put an extra zero on there.

It looks like GFI has developed 3 residential projects, all in Brooklyn. Two of the projects are relatively small at 31 and 41 units. The third is larger at 366 units and that one looks like it is still in the planning stages.

This company appears to deal mostly with urban properties (although they also purchased a complex at Shoal Creek), but I have to wonder if these two 900 unit projects would be massive, sprawling suburban complexes.