River Market West

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: River Market West

Post by flyingember »

they're up to the third story on framing the building.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Looks like they've reach the top floor (5th) on the north side.
From Saturday:

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

That's topped out...as high as the building will be.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wow. atlas cab being a great neighbor there.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:wow. atlas cab being a great neighbor there.
Those are native plantings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Open a 311 ticket. The city takes overgrown sidewalks seriously.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Not sure if anyone say this article posted today in the KCBJ but this caught my eye.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 0-new.html

Info: George Birt, a Kansas City-area developer, said the five-story, 137-unit new apartment building is about 40 percent complete. The project is running about five months late but should be ready for lease in March. Birt was positive about the greater downtown housing market and said he expects excitement surrounding the arrival of the 2.2-mile streetcar line — expected to be running in late 2015 or early 2016 — and the arrival of new jobs to the downtown area will continue to propel it forward.

Birt said he's making plans for a second phase to be built on a vacant lot just south of where the RMWest building is going up. That second building would add 148 units of one- and two-room apartments to the River Market area. He said construction may kick off as soon as the spring.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Random thought for the day... So if some random car drives into the corner of RMW would a quarter of that building come down? Looks like all wood holding up all of those floors.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCtonic wrote:Random thought for the day... So if some random car drives into the corner of RMW would a quarter of that building come down? Looks like all wood holding up all of those floors.
More worried about random matches, right now.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

loftguy wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Random thought for the day... So if some random car drives into the corner of RMW would a quarter of that building come down? Looks like all wood holding up all of those floors.
More worried about random matches, right now.
But they used a little flame retardant paper rolls! I was thinking the same thing though. I love to see density being added to the neighborhood, but I'm not 100% loving the way it's being done. I say that as a resident in one of the other Birt developed locations. I understand that this is the best way to make money from a development, I just it was being done in a way that we'll be happy with the buildings in 10-20 years from now...
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote:Not sure if anyone say this article posted today in the KCBJ but this caught my eye.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 0-new.html

Info: George Birt, a Kansas City-area developer, said the five-story, 137-unit new apartment building is about 40 percent complete. The project is running about five months late but should be ready for lease in March. Birt was positive about the greater downtown housing market and said he expects excitement surrounding the arrival of the 2.2-mile streetcar line — expected to be running in late 2015 or early 2016 — and the arrival of new jobs to the downtown area will continue to propel it forward.

Birt said he's making plans for a second phase to be built on a vacant lot just south of where the RMWest building is going up. That second building would add 148 units of one- and two-room apartments to the River Market area. He said construction may kick off as soon as the spring.
I guess I knew this lot would probably end up being apartments at this point, but it still is disappointing it won't be something like Birt's original plan of Lighthouse Lofts about 10 years ago. Then again, I'm kind of glad we won't have an 11-story building entirely blocking my view from Conover Place.
The first phase would include an 11-story tower on the SW corner of the lot, with a twin tower to built on the NE corner in phase 2. Additional units would fill in the space between the two towers.
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2507

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rumor has it there will be a second phase across 4th street.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

DaveKCMO wrote:rumor has it there will be a second phase across 4th street.
I'm assuming you mean the rumor that is mentioned in the posts above about "Birt" building more apartments? Or is there new rumors? Please make it be a better-built condo or nicer apt complex...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

same.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Here's what River Market West looks like right now

Website is now up at http://www.rmwest.com/

They say open in Summer 2015 which I guess might be possible in the first (North) building. I fear what they will do if/when they develop the empty lot across the street...

This is the drawing of what it will look like finished. My wife thinks its about as "attractive" as a dorm. Wow. I'm thinking there will be a fence around that pool in the real world - also missing the beautiful taxi building adjacent to it's West side.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So with these wood frame popup apts with brick facade, how well do they fire/soundproof between units? The Fountains W of Plaza and City Place Westport were done quite poorly I hear but newer technologies are supposedly better with fire/soundproofing. Are the new wood frame/brick facade developers actually using it?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:So with these wood frame popup apts with brick facade, how well do they fire/soundproof between units? The Fountains W of Plaza and City Place Westport were done quite poorly I hear but newer technologies are supposedly better with fire/soundproofing. Are the new wood frame/brick facade developers actually using it?
I'm curious of that as well - I seriously doubt it as cost seems to be the primary driver in this one. There is hardly any concrete or even metal being used - almost all wood all the way to the top. Lots of "fire paper" though. Hopefully it won't leak as much as every single one of his other, past developments.

It honestly reminds me of what gets built in the suburbs. Fast and cheap. Not impressed with this development at all.

Okay, negativity aside... They wired for Google Fiber, I think its good they didn't include a gym since they are so close to one already, and I'm glad to see more people moving into the neighborhood.
Last edited by KCtonic on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Correction - Fountains E of Plaza, not W.