River Market West

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: River Market West

Post by loftguy »

Critical_Mass wrote:Any news on this project? Four months later and it's still not out of the ground. Only some foundation walls are on site, I don't think a first floor slab has been poured yet. Is this stalled?
No, I'm told it's just a slow process they are using. The underlying soil has been compacted and allowed to settle a couple of times, prior to the pouring of slabs.

The explanation makes sense. Depending on weather, there should be some significant activity, soon.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

When the developer presented to the DNA, I seem to recall him saying there were some geotech issues on the site. They either had to overexcavate to remove contaminated materials or to replace unsuitable material/old building foundation. I'm guessing they're using shallow foundations since the new building will only be 4 floors and timber construction, so it makes sense that they'd want to give the subgrade time to settle. You can only compact soil so much--sometimes you just have to let time do its thing.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

RMW is currently "surcharging" the sub-grade adjacent to the retaining walls. The balance of the site was recently completed. Surcharging, is basically piling extra soil on the site and letting the natural settlement occur, compacting the sub-grade. I'd anticipate this to be completed soon and the at-grade slab to be poured soon.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the dirt is completely flat now and has been for several weeks and they have something on the site (some kind of container, need to drive by closer). bet they're waiting on winter to pass for concrete. kind of hard to excavate and pour it with frozen ground/snow on the ground
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

I have a pretty good view of this site on a daily basis.

They added dirt in late 2013. Nothing has happened since then other than some surveying one day.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

from KCRTA streetcar panel twitter-

construction starts May 1. first move ins: approx May 2015
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Activity on site......finally!
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Tower crane going up! :D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is this final design?

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

zonk wrote:Tower crane going up! :D
Some assembly required
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

earthling wrote:Is this final design?

Ouch. That's PacNW-level ugly. All it lacks are some "our sky is grey and dreary, let's add some sickly-orange and chemical-yellow to our buildings to make it seem brighter" kind of paneling.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:

Ouch. That's PacNW-level ugly. All it lacks are some "our sky is grey and dreary, let's add some sickly-orange and chemical-yellow to our buildings to make it seem brighter" kind of paneling.
it will fit in perfectly when actually built

color tends to work better with real-world detail, realistic shadows, a lack of transparent trees and some natural aging

I have yet to see a rendering that gives a good feel of a building. they're all too shiny
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Wow, that is a lot of crane for a four story building
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCtonic wrote:Wow, that is a lot of crane for a four story building

Just this once, the developer wanted to swing a big one.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:

The massing is nice, so it really depends on the materials. There's no way of telling that from the rendering. Those will give it more texture than what the image shows- unless it's just stucco panels.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Does anyone know what's going on with Bridgeworks? Looks like they ripped off the stucco or whatever the facade is (again?) and are re-wrapping with Tyvec?
Hope they get this one right.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

taxi wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with Bridgeworks? Looks like they ripped off the stucco or whatever the facade is (again?) and are re-wrapping with Tyvec?
Hope they get this one right.
Water damage. Looks like they took off the entire balconies in many cases. Wow!
Photo of Bridgeworks, NOT RM West... yet.

Briarcliff Ravello is going through something very similar.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I remember looking at some units in that building. Our agent told us to stay away due to issues with the outside stucco. The contractor had done a poor job and I believe the building was suing him as a result.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote:I remember looking at some units in that building. Our agent told us to stay away due to issues with the outside stucco. The contractor had done a poor job and I believe the building was suing him as a result.
Yeah I had heard the same from a friend of an owner....glad they are getting it fixed.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:
ThorsteinVeblen wrote:I remember looking at some units in that building. Our agent told us to stay away due to issues with the outside stucco. The contractor had done a poor job and I believe the building was suing him as a result.
Yeah I had heard the same from a friend of an owner....glad they are getting it fixed.
I assumed it was a mold problem, but they completed the fix of the facade a while ago. It was a pretty drastic removal and replacement of the exterior.