OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Post by taxi »

I think some caution should be exercised here. I'm all for cool and artsy signage, but they don't always end up that way since there seems to be no compliance. My reference is the Marriot. Old timers may chime in and correct me, but if I recall, they received a variance for their wall of LEDs and the idea was for art. However, it's not uncommon now to see the name of the hotel scrolling across, other forms of advertising (be it a sports team or non-profit) and some pretty terrible programming/design. It's a wasted opportunity at best, a visual blight at worst. Perhaps I'm just getting crabby in my old age and I suppose there are greater things to worry about, but a big old sign on top of that nice, new building complex may end up looking like shit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crabby.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Kind of back to actual building design, the green exterior: What is it? Is it ivy-covered, because if it was a type of wall-cover plant, that would be a lot cooler than a green textured exterior in my opinion.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Is this really happening? Or is this project still in the speculative stage?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If they are at this stage with those design plans....I'd think this is happening unless their funding is suspect.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Based on their rezoning permit, this project is headed before the City Plan Commission in February and the City Council in April.

KCDowntown
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Based on that timetable, a late 2019/early 2020 occupancy seems likely.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Lighting serves a lot of purposes, it is very inviting for businesses, promotes a sense of welcomeness and security. Signs tell anyone who is not local what your business might offer. Signs can be iconic, like the TORCO sign/billboard located at Wrigley field in Chicago. This company has been out of business for decades but, the city of Chicago continues to maintain it as it is now considered part of the ballpark. Our own Western Auto sign is as iconic as any fountain in this city. I have always felt downtown KC is to void of these signs.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Those renderings look incredible. I'd love to see more color in building exteriors. I certainly understand the concern that all new buildings will end up looking like suburban Portland, but unless there is a PacNW-level building boom (and there's not going to be), seems like mixing things up in midwestern small architecture would be a net positive. I often find myself wishing new construction would stop at the lime green exterior walls stage, and skip the brick veneers and/or battleship gray metal paneling.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

KCPowercat wrote:If they are at this stage with those design plans....I'd think this is happening unless their funding is suspect.
It sadly wouldn't be the first time a project doesn't happen because of funding. You can get approval from the city, and everything is ready to go, but if you can't get your investors or banks to commit, it's dead in the water.

But hopefully that wouldn't be the case with this project. If they were wealthy enough to buy up those parcels, then they should be good.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is an amazing project. You can tell KC is starting to get some urban architecture design input from outside the area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ments.html

This project got its PZE committee approval yesterday for a blight designation and will probably be approved today. They did not have to, but chose to accept the city's new incentive caps (75% for 10 years 37.5% for 15). Based on all comments, all council people, taxing jurisdictions, and neighbors seem on board. It should be cruising to approval for a june-july construction start.

$75 million project with 295 units, 20,000 sq ft of retail (estimate), underground parking, historic rehab, amenities building, 10% set aside for "work force" housing, walk up entries to units on Walnut, adjacent to the street car, diversity of materials and buildings design to fit the neighborhood, and everyone in the city gets a scoop of ice cream.

If this project can make the new cap work, i think just about any residential project downtown should be able to.

This developer sure seems to know what they're doing. I hope locals are paying attention.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Yeah this is easily my favorite project coming online. I hope it sets a precedent for future projects not only downtown but in the entire urban core.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

speaking as a neighbor that's one block away, i'm also a big fan. #YIMBY
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm opening Club 1% Ultimate Indulgence in the 20th & Main retail space...glad you are okay with that!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

For a club like that, you need to make sure you have proper transportation; A stretch hummer limo that blocks the streetcar, has external speakers blasting at pedestrians, and a laser light show on its roof that shines into adjacent apartment and condo windows is key to your clubs short lifespan!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Done!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Don't forget an adjacent building must come down for parking for your peeps.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

PumpkinStalker wrote:For a club like that, you need to make sure you have proper transportation; A stretch hummer limo that blocks the streetcar, has external speakers blasting at pedestrians, and a laser light show on its roof that shines into adjacent apartment and condo windows is key to your clubs short lifespan!
That was a little too spot on
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dreams come true!