Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:not in the crossroads.
NIMBY!
yes! put it where the largest concentration of residents are: the CBD.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I was teasing and mostly agree with you, though I think the River Market would also be a good choice.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Walmart,BAM,Fresh Thyme Market,Kansas Sampler,Here Today,Stage or Belk or Goody's Family Clothing,Meijer or so on.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I can't even come up with a good joke to point out that Rally House == Kansas Sampler.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I always thought Kansas Sampler was an appetizer with like bierock and Z-man sliders and a couple shots of Tallgrass.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

So I think just about everyone both here and on twitter wants a Target, but what do you want from a Target that we don't have now? Even if we don't get a Target, what other shops would fill the need?

I mostly go to Target now for kitchen supplies, home goods and consumable housewares: dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.
mykn

Post by mykn »

tower wrote:So I think just about everyone both here and on twitter wants a Target, but what do you want from a Target that we don't have now? Even if we don't get a Target, what other shops would fill the need?

I mostly go to Target now for kitchen supplies, home goods and consumable housewares: dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.
Home goods, some clothes, groceries, etc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

tower wrote:So I think just about everyone both here and on twitter wants a Target, but what do you want from a Target that we don't have now? Even if we don't get a Target, what other shops would fill the need?

pharmacies added to xroads and RM could take care of a lot of it but some clothing necessities would be nice. This could be filled by a Target or a Gap type store.

...and do we really need a target for consumables when amazon will deliver the same things within 12 hours to our doors?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:
tower wrote:...and do we really need a target for consumables when amazon will deliver the same things within 12 hours to our doors?
yes.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Amazon same day delivery should be considered a tactical option, not a permanent solution for a comprehensive fully functioning downtown. Good option in the meantime.

Could a small urban Target fit into the old foodcourt in One KC Place? I think it's now used as conference room space. They have stores as small as 12K sqft, though over 30K would be more ideal (about size of Consentino's).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Could a small urban Target fit into the old foodcourt in One KC Place? I think it's now used as conference room space. They have stores as small as 12K sqft, though over 30K would be more ideal (about size of Consentino's).
or the existing food court inside city center square?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^indeed!
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

I think Target is emblematic to the public of a price point, a consistent-inventory chain store, that's missing from the urban core save for maybe the plaza.

Stores like Old Navy, Nike Factory, Marshalls, Petsmart, Best Buy, etc. Pretty much if they are at or were at one time at Ward Parkway, they should have a location in the core. :lol:

They're not bargain basement and they're not unique, but they offer durable & affordable goods, and a nation-wide network to boot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

3 light is the logical choice for a target....new build that they can fit to the size Target or another similar store would want.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Hy-Vee? Sun Fresh? Woods? Ramey Price Cutter? Big Lots?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

horizons82 wrote:

I think Target is emblematic to the public of a price point, a consistent-inventory chain store, that's missing from the urban core save for maybe the plaza.

Stores like Old Navy, Nike Factory, Marshalls, Petsmart, Best Buy, etc. Pretty much if they are at or were at one time at Ward Parkway, they should have a location in the core. :lol:

They're not bargain basement and they're not unique, but they offer durable & affordable goods, and a nation-wide network to boot.
I think you're right. It will be hard to hit the right price point for many things without being a chain store, unfortunately. Consistent inventory is also a bit of an issue. I think a kitchen store could make it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Glad to see the driving forces are on the same page with ideas discussed here.... Candidate locations for Target... Base of Three Light, One KC Place or City Center Square.

As far as the 'chains' concern, yeah, pursue chains in CBD Loop and keep them out of Xroads/River Market.

The significant increase of hotel rooms should also be pointed out when City pursues Target again, as well as general increase of downtown visitors.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

With the streetcar and bus what difference does 12th vs 18th really make?

The current closest target is ~15 minutes from downtown so a department store placed anywhere downtown will be in the sphere of influence of all of downtown equally.

Consentino's is on 13th and people from the River Market and Crossroads certainly use it over other options.

We should aim for a store like Target in the best project for downtown possible, not select only 2-3 buildings it should go in.

Why couldn't target locate near 18th and Vine? Wouldn't that meet the goal of helping revitalize the east side while bringing a new amenity to reach of downtown? A 15 story tower in that neighborhood would be the project that could jumpstart that entire area.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

flyingember wrote:With the streetcar and bus what difference does 12th vs 18th really make?

The current closest target is ~15 minutes from downtown so a department store placed anywhere downtown will be in the sphere of influence of all of downtown equally.

Consentino's is on 13th and people from the River Market and Crossroads certainly use it over other options.

We should aim for a store like Target in the best project for downtown possible, not select only 2-3 buildings it should go in.

Why couldn't target locate near 18th and Vine? Wouldn't that meet the goal of helping revitalize the east side while bringing a new amenity to reach of downtown? A 15 story tower in that neighborhood would be the project that could jumpstart that entire area.
Man that is one goofy post.