Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by rxlexi »

I recently moved to City Market, which is really chock full of awesome nearby amenities, including, roughly, the desired "bodegas" (Market 3, Nature's Own, maybe Chinatown). Also recently found a great barber shop and suiting in the hood (The Barberette, Houndstooth).

However, a couple downtown amenities I want to see going forward:

More new for-sale buildings and urban/townhomes. I know not technically an amenity but needed. The condo market in greater downtown is stagnant in terms of new product. The financing issues implicit in the lack of new construction may be very real, but it's a trend I'd like to see reversed.

Street trees. More of them, everywhere.

Retail. It's a tricky environment I'm sure but any and all retail is appreciated. Specialty stores to the mythical urban Target (which is really perfect as an anchor of east village or north loop development). Smaller stores would do well to focus on concentrating together but for whatever reason(s) has not really occurred in a big way yet. Looking forward to places like East + West, etc.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Xroads looks to be getting a couple more grocers. A couple bookstores have opened up this year.

What amenities have you seen in other downtowns you'd like to see DTKC?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

While I am definitely fond of the bookstore/coffee/booze shops that have opened downtown, I would still love to see a flagship (large?) bookstore open.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm What amenities have you seen in other downtowns you'd like to see DTKC?
Shade. I'm serious. The walk on nearly every street would be nicer if there was nearly continuous shade available. This doesn't need to be trees, awnings work just as well.

An awning can also host the name of a business on the end and be color coded for advertising. They can be styled from fabric through to slabs of metal or wood for a modern look.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

earthling wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm Xroads looks to be getting a couple more grocers. A couple bookstores have opened up this year.
A 'couple more' grocers?
Does crossroads have any since The Sundry moved?
What new ones are coming? I just saw DaveKCMO's post about the Wine Shop + Bar on Oak, so I suppose that will be one in the neighborhood.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:11 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm Xroads looks to be getting a couple more grocers. A couple bookstores have opened up this year.
A 'couple more' grocers?
Does crossroads have any since The Sundry moved?
What new ones are coming? I just saw DaveKCMO's post about the Wine Shop + Bar on Oak, so I suppose that will be one in the neighborhood.
KC Star redevelopment includes a grocer
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^oh man, totally forgot about that one
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Not sure if anyone spotted this but a Starbucks is going in the Hampton Inn on Main. I know it’s not an artisanal coffee shop but this is a great value add to the area IMO.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grecobs wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am Not sure if anyone spotted this but a Starbucks is going in the Hampton Inn on Main. I know it’s not an artisanal coffee shop but this is a great value add to the area IMO.
Can we tell yet if it is a proper Starbucks versus, say, the typical hotel lobby versions?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

One retail amenity that I believe downtown is missing would be a sporting goods store. We have plenty of gyms, but if someone wants to buy a pair of gym shorts or sweatpants, the only place to get them in the urban core would be at the Nike or Athleta store on the plaza or Run 816 in Westport. Those stores are also limited by brand, gender, and activity, respectively
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tower wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:13 pm One retail amenity that I believe downtown is missing would be a sporting goods store. We have plenty of gyms, but if someone wants to buy a pair of gym shorts or sweatpants, the only place to get them in the urban core would be at the Nike or Athleta store on the plaza or Run 816 in Westport. Those stores are also limited by brand, gender, and activity, respectively
I suspect a Run 816 outpost downtown would do well.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m sure not the place to put this. There is a new Formula E road racing league that just started. All electric cars and similar to a Grand Prix, Monte Carlo-type race. That’d be pretty cool to have downtown and would be a good connector to us pushing for more technology businesses and green jobs.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 pm I’m sure not the place to put this. There is a new Formula E road racing league that just started. All electric cars and similar to a Grand Prix, Monte Carlo-type race. That’d be pretty cool to have downtown and would be a good connector to us pushing for more technology businesses and green jobs.
I would LOVE that - I really enjoy Formula 1 racing and the city circuits are my favorite to watch. I always try and picture what a Grand Prix course would look like in KCMO. We could do it downtown with Grand/Broadway - or maybe Main in there. Maybe 7th Street to Pershing? Cities like Detroit, Phoenix and Long Beach have done it, so we could too. -

It'll shut downtown down for a week or more, so the level of kvetching would be off the charts.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thoughts on state of any downtown amenities lacking at this point?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Don’t live there anymore but from when I visited, target would be nice, a plaza or square, park let’s will help, also just better street activity, walking next to parking lots is super boring
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Still need more accessible fast food type operations in the evening. A later hours drugstore. Clothing stores. A Target type store would be nice.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:04 am Still need more accessible fast food type operations in the evening. A later hours drugstore. Clothing stores. A Target type store would be nice.
Target is still my #1 as it would knock out most of the reason's why my wife and I need to get the car out and go shopping.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can get by with a well done drug store and skip the target type but I understand how it would elevate the downtown living score for many
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think instead of fast food let's say we need more take-out places downtown. Take-out is not necessarily McDonald's/Taco Bell/KFC. It's often better quality food that you can order and carry home in containers after work. I also think downtown desperately needs a good quality, old-fashioned diner that stays open until at least midnight or 1 am. No, Town Topic and Denny's don't count. There really aren't that many traditional diners in Kansas City anyway.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Capriotti's work?