Former Folger's Coffee plant (Roaster's Block)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Former Folger's Coffee plant (Roaster's Block)

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
pash wrote:Ha, like the commenters, I also noticed the great floors. They better reuse those.
It looked like there were some coffee stains on the floors below what I assume were giant bean grinders. If it were up to me I'd try hard to retain those circular stains whenever I had the floors refinished. I think it adds to the character of the building, a nice recognition of its former use.
Most of the loft buildings in Kansas City had beautiful maple flooring throughout, and 90% of those floors were in good renewable condition at the time that the buildings were renovated.

Most developers in KC poured a couple of inches of gypcrete (a lightweight concrete formulation) over these beautiful floors. In most cases they did this, choosing to leave the wood ceilings exposed, as you have to either put a firebreak in as part of the construction of the floor or within the ceiling assembly (gypcrete on floor/or sheetrock ceiling).

Many developers poured gypcrete on the maple floor, even if they were sheetrocking the ceilings, in order to cut down on noise transfer. Tenants living in buildings that have retained the original floor system do have noise issues as part of their experience. If your neighbor above or beside you, comes in after a night in the bars, wearing her best heels, or him in his cowboy boots, you hear every step. The floor will also carry bass from your neighbors sub-woofed compilation of hip-hop, or the awesome home theater that the guy next to you scored at Costco.

Life's a series of trade offs.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Permit came across today for a plan review of this project. It looks like they misspelled Folger's Lofts as THE BOSS & THE SWOFFORD BUILDINGS @ THE ROASTER'S BLOCK.

Permit

KCDowntown

Click here for a map of latest projects downtown with links to latest articles and streetview for each project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Former Folger's Coffee plant for sale

Post by DaveKCMO »

workers were inside a few weeks ago. looked like they were disassembling equipment.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:workers were inside a few weeks ago. looked like they were disassembling equipment.
I imagine that's as big a job as turning the building into apartments
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

City incentives approved, work to start in May.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/06/48 ... llion.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:City incentives approved, work to start in May.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/06/48 ... llion.html
more correct would be that renovations can move forward with the apartment portion. work has been going on for months

they placed left a trailler on one dock a while back and trucks are seen in the little lot between buildings. I would bet they're selling anything out of the structure they don't plan to keep around and Folgers didn't take and the trailer is where it's being taken to
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There is a new rendering of this project on the OReilly Development website here. I was unable to link directly to it, so you'll have to find it by clicking the 'Under Development' header in the 'Communities' dropdown on the main page.

Looks like south-facing units on the north building and north-facing units on the south building have balconies. The building and walkway between have been removed. New tree-lined landscaping and streetlights as well.

KCDowntown
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

toured these buildings yesterday. this is going to be an amazing project!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:toured these buildings yesterday. this is going to be an amazing project!
They are spending a boatload of money on this development. Very cool that we have a development group with long vision and sufficient capital to bring a product like this to the downtown market. They are outside the box on this and not your average apartment developer.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The high point was on the lowest level in the sub-basement.

They will apparently try to use the facing as some sort of centerpiece in the finished lobby.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At one time, there were four large dry goods distribution companies and stores on the corner of Broadway and W. 8th Street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's been at least a week, but the courtyard structure destruction and removal was nearing completion.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

I live across the street. It looks like the connecting wall between the buildings has been torn down, there is just a ton of rubble in between the buildings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

time lapse of the mechanical tower coming down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcU26fBlB8o
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A couple of things for this development...

I found some new graphics from the O'Reilly Development home page regarding this development.

Here a link to their site's page for this development.

This lead me to a dedicated website for this development. It includes rental rates and floor plans. It looks like lease rates vary from ~$1.45 a square foot for large 2 bedroom units on the lower levels at the low end to ~$2.00 for some penthouses and studios. Rental rates range from 900 to 3,200 a month.

KCDowntown
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Perhaps silly or urbanist-idealistic, but I really wish the Roaster's Block project contained some kind of "coffee" component.

A groundfloor coffee shop, a small history exhibit about Folgers/Roasterie/coffee production in KC, a really nice complimentary coffee/espresso bar with local beans for residents, whatever.

Maybe ideally, a groundfloor coffee shop that sells coffee from various local roasters, a la Comet Coffee in STL.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They were supposedly going to install the ornate cast oven face from the basement in the lobby as a centerpiece.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The very recent Star article made it sound like there will be more industrial equipment in other common areas too.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

This is going to sound very suburbanite of me, but this project is kind of pissing me off lately. When I drive home at 4:30 they have a temporary sign blocking the right lane signaling a lane closure. By that time of day they are done using that lane for whatever work they need it for. I have no doubt the need to give them enough space to do their work, but IMO they need to move that sign out of the street during rush hour at the end of the day.

Yes it probably adds a whopping 10-20 minutes onto my drive. Yes there are alternate ways. But it's avoidable and annoying.