OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 pm Since the new owner is doing extensive remodeling, maybe they could request to have the streetcar stop moved north of 12th st. I'm sure they'd love to have it on their doorstep and there is plenty of space to accommodate a shelter. Still unhappy there is no shelter at Metro Center southbound.
Maybe if they agree to pay for the entire cost(~$.7million+)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

As much as I want this to be true, after thinking more about it I just don't see how the square footage exists for a Target if the existing exterior retail is to remain and the building is to have an office lobby. It just doesn't seem large enough at all. I WANT TO BE WRONG.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

What's the interior Sq. ft. of the total space? 17,000 to 50,000 sq ft?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/ ... 20b56025aa
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm What's the interior Sq. ft. of the total space? 17,000 to 50,000 sq ft?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/ ... 20b56025aa
Just looking at the Wicker Park location as an example--I suppose that would fit in the building. But I still think this sounds more like the building is pitching Target than Target actually scouting.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: City Center Square for sale

Post by beautyfromashes »

There is really nothing in the second level. This could be a two story Target. There could be a much small lobby on the west side with access to the elevators and still provide the remaining space for the store.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't visualize it there either but I'll be wrong all day long.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So I walked through the lobbies after work today and I have to say there is a bit more space than I figured...it’s just crazy enough to work. Hopefully it proves true.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm So I walked through the lobbies after work today and I have to say there is a bit more space than I figured...it’s just crazy enough to work. Hopefully it proves true.
Show me the permit and I'll bite!
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

An Urban Target would be a huge get for DTKC. I'm hoping for the best case and also if Wrap it up finds space right near Milwaukee's Deli and the bakery/sandwich shop, that would be a good location for them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Honestly what KC downtown dining is missing is a dense block of counter service restaurants whether they be a chain or local. We have a lot of dining but not in the quick counter service variety open past lunch. This can be witnessed everytime a volleyball convention is in town and cosentinos dining is what gets packed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am Honestly what KC downtown dining is missing is a dense block of counter service restaurants whether they be a chain or local. We have a lot of dining but not in the quick counter service variety open past lunch. This can be witnessed everytime a volleyball convention is in town and cosentinos dining is what gets packed.
Yes, and Chipotle has a line down the block because it is the only game in town outside the grocery store.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Just a few restaurants where you can walk up and get a couple tacos or gyro would be nice. And I can't believe there is still not a McDonalds or Wendy's downtown.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Too true re: fast food/counter eats downtown, and Cosentino's getting slammed during youth conventions.

Said it before and I'll keep saying it - would be wonderful if the P&L Mixx had normal hours, like the Plaza location. Or even just until 6 or 7. Closing at 3? Sad. This situation has given me an unnatural dislike of Jo Marie Scaglia.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That whole p&l plaza could fit this need nicely. There are still blank storefronts in the h&r building.

That or expand the zaina / Jimmy John's strip along grand.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Heard from a few facility folks at 1KCP and they both said the proposed Target is supposed to be 3-4 floors, not just one floor. The escalator on the 1st floor is supposed to come down and the 3-4 floor atrium will be completely rebuilt.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This sounds more plausible space wise. At least going to the 2nd floor which is also underused. Never been on 3 or 4 to know what is there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

3-4 floors actually makes sense.

Take one side of the first floor and put their storage space at street level from the docks. Unless they kick out every tenant the east side is occupied.

The main entrance to the store goes on 2 with more shopping on 3. Since the west side entrance is on two this isn't a bad spot for an entrance. Offices and backroom aspects go on part of four.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

There is zero chance Target opens a 3-4 story shop.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 am Heard from a few facility folks at 1KCP and they both said the proposed Target is supposed to be 3-4 floors, not just one floor. The escalator on the 1st floor is supposed to come down and the 3-4 floor atrium will be completely rebuilt.
Urban Targets can be as small as 17K sqft, typically in 17K-50K range. Are there actual talks with Target or are they (1KCP) 'targeting' Target. If the latter, would not be optimistic.

edit: For comparison, DT Cosentinos is about 35K sqft.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

this rumor is wild and i am here for it, pipe dream though it may be.

but back to my chief interest, counter eats and their proximity to me. i hope wrap it up gets some of that target money in exchange for giving up their lease, and i hope they spend that target money expanding hours. 9th and baltimore sounds great, i'm really interested to see where over there they end up. i assume there are vacancies on the west side of baltimore between the club building and the deli, and probably one on the south side of 9th next to banksia (not positive). but i'm kind of hoping for something on the north side of 9th. this is one of my favorite areas downtown and i would enjoy seeing that road around the terminating vista get activated a bit.