OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by moderne »

Like where they are replacing the exterior horizontal cladding with the dark color. Wish they could do it to the entire bldng. Don't know what the material is, but it reminds me of the original proposal for City Center Square. Same design but executed in steel instead of the masonry that gives the bldng a bunker fortress look. The steel actually gave the building a lighter more graceful appearance.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am Like where they are replacing the exterior horizontal cladding with the dark color. Wish they could do it to the entire bldng. Don't know what the material is, but it reminds me of the original proposal for City Center Square. Same design but executed in steel instead of the masonry that gives the bldng a bunker fortress look. The steel actually gave the building a lighter more graceful appearance.
This the design?

For those curious, it's from this poster

Here's where it came from https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... her_house/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

^^ carving is from 6 years before CCS opened.

https://www.wework.com/buildings/lightwell--kansas-city
WeWork listing for LightWell. Only about 150,000 SF remain available at LightWell.

He said the current vacancy rate for downtown office space is around 8.8%,
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... r-kcs.html
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That's the original design. The steel was similar to Walstreet condos at 11th & Walnut. Wish we had a tall steel exterior bldng, don't think they build them anymore. Remember that carving sold in gift shops all over town for years. I think CCS opened in late 77 or 78 at latest. They tore the block down including the Roxy and the Paramount theaters and there was a huge watery pit for several years before anything got built. It was a civic embarassment.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:41 pm Wish we had a tall steel exterior bldng, don't think they build them anymore.
We have a local company who builds them, Zahner

The Kauffman Center looks to be our tallest steel clad building downtown

Others-
The Community of Christ Temple
The Parking garage across from city hall
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 pm WeWork Dramatically Expands Downtown Footprint
WeWork announced this morning its leasing more than 100,000 square feet in the lightwell building, formerly City Center Square, adding to its already sizable downtown presence in the Corrigan Station building.
WeWork’s first member at the new location is Volly, a Woburn, Massachusetts-based company that works with banks and mortgage lenders to simplify their marketing communication strategies through a SaaS platform that includes CRM, marketing automation and point of sale.
https://cityscenekc.com/wework-dramatic ... footprint/
Not sure I understand how their business model works? They develop space in an existing building and then lease it out again?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 pm WeWork Dramatically Expands Downtown Footprint
WeWork announced this morning its leasing more than 100,000 square feet in the lightwell building, formerly City Center Square, adding to its already sizable downtown presence in the Corrigan Station building.
WeWork’s first member at the new location is Volly, a Woburn, Massachusetts-based company that works with banks and mortgage lenders to simplify their marketing communication strategies through a SaaS platform that includes CRM, marketing automation and point of sale.
Not sure I understand how their business model works? They develop space in an existing building and then lease it out again?
Read this

https://www.wework.com/workspace
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Food court today:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sounds like they will target chef driven foodie hall tenants... assume bfast/lunch only?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 am
Yes, basically renting down to the desk and also option for a non-dedicated desk. I've worked in PlexPod Xroads. Not having a cubicle took some getting used to but can understand the appeal. Even major corps are now opening satellite locations in co-working spaces. Is very easy to get a site up and running with low overhead.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Great for remote workers to get out of the house, as I'll attest.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:20 pm Sounds like they will target chef driven foodie hall tenants... assume bfast/lunch only?
Why not all-day-every-day like Parlor? Higher margins. Alcohol sales don't require consents in the loop.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm Target + USDA + renovations seems like a winner to me!
Seems the foodcourt has officially kicked everyone out. The mexican place will be the last to close and is moving to 1010 main I heard.

If you take the seating area, the restaurants, and their backrooms, etc I wonder how many square feet that area is. I'd guess 15,000 to 20,000 sq feet at most which would be enough for a small format Target store.
Just how small do our small-format stores get? They’re all different, starting as small as 15,000 square feet or less, though the average small-format Target is around 40,000 square feet, about one-third the size of our full-size 130,000 square-foot store. Fun fact: our newly opened store in Chicago’s Wicker Park neighborhood is the smallest to date, spanning just 12,800 square feet. The size of each one is based on what we think will best fit and serve the neighborhood.
https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... mat-stores
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

1010 Main isn't an address that I'm aware of? Good to see they found a new location.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice if true that Wrap it Up found a home nearby. It's a doable one. And like the build your own breakfast burrito too.

The Target discussion seems to be a dead path though as it sounds like a Foodie Hall is planned... or is it still?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm 1010 Main isn't an address that I'm aware of? Good to see they found a new location.
I think it's the old AMC building. I think the new owners are calling it 10 main or 1010 main or something like that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

interesting if that is their new location given the owners kicked Mildred's out.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

1000-1016 Main is the transit center

The old AMC building is called Ten Main because it's at 10th and Main, but it's address is 920 Main. Probably what's being referred to.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm interesting if that is their new location given the owners kicked Mildred's out.
I think the landlords sort of helped kick mildred's out by converting to residential, but I think the decision to move was Mildred's own.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just talked to Wrap it Up. They wanted to get into AMC building but didn't work out. They are going to 9th/Baltimore instead, apparently the Milwaukee Deli/Australian eats building. Leaving current spot end of Sept.