OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: City Center Square for sale

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 am this rumor is wild and i am here for it, pipe dream though it may be.

i assume there are vacancies on the west side of baltimore between the club building and the deli
Word on the street (and inferred from permits) is that Mildred's is moving to the LaRue building.
smh
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 am this rumor is wild and i am here for it, pipe dream though it may be.

but back to my chief interest, counter eats and their proximity to me. i hope wrap it up gets some of that target money in exchange for giving up their lease, and i hope they spend that target money expanding hours. 9th and baltimore sounds great, i'm really interested to see where over there they end up. i assume there are vacancies on the west side of baltimore between the club building and the deli, and probably one on the south side of 9th next to banksia (not positive). but i'm kind of hoping for something on the north side of 9th. this is one of my favorite areas downtown and i would enjoy seeing that road around the terminating vista get activated a bit.
Also on my walk through City Center Square I saw how only about 4 of the food stalls are occupied now and the rest are covered in black plastic. There are, in fact, no more chairs for dining.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

earthling wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:20 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 am Heard from a few facility folks at 1KCP and they both said the proposed Target is supposed to be 3-4 floors, not just one floor. The escalator on the 1st floor is supposed to come down and the 3-4 floor atrium will be completely rebuilt.
Urban Targets can be as small as 17K sqft, typically in 17K-50K range. Are there actual talks with Target or are they (1KCP) 'targeting' Target. If the latter, would not be optimistic.

edit: For comparison, DT Cosentinos is about 35K sqft.
1KCP is not targeting Target. Just a few facility managers I know in 1KCP since I work there have both stated the "proposal" for City Center is to have a 3-4 level Target. I doubt it is set in stone, but ongoing negotiations. I'm not trying to spread rumors, just re-stating what I heard. I guess time will tell because full scale demo of the lobby is supposed to start in the next month or so.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

ooh, i like that mildred's development. i remember a coffee rumor either in or around the union carbide building from a few/several months ago. i assume this is it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:44 am ooh, i like that mildred's development. i remember a coffee rumor either in or around the union carbide building from a few/several months ago. i assume this is it.
I think so, pretty great news for the block. I hope there's enough differentiation for Mildred's and Banksia to survive. Though they're pretty close together today and it seems to work (though Mildred's is closed on weekends of course).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed it won't be a 4 story target. ...unless they would use top floors for inventory etc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I hear proposals and see renderings a lot for what people want. They very rarely go quickly, let alone happen.

They might really want Target here, and I wish them good luck.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even a Walgreens would do well in that space.

I know everybody has a thing for getting a target but I'd think a 3 light would pull that off easier.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:49 am Even a Walgreens would do well in that space.

I know everybody has a thing for getting a target but I'd think a 3 light would pull that off easier.
If these new Targets are really getting down to 17k sq ft, that feels way more like CVS, right? I'd think at that point they might find advantage in being the second mover in downtown and beating Walgreen's to market to compete with CVS. Maybe?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So I heard a rumor at CVS that they're doing very well and looking to expand hours. And that "they might have more competition soon."

Put this at the bottom of my trust level, but there might be something here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 pm So I heard a rumor at CVS that they're doing very well and looking to expand hours. And that "they might have more competition soon."

Put this at the bottom of my trust level, but there might be something here.
That could be a Walgreen's. Do the urban Target stores have pharmacies?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

only one i've ever been to had a pharmacy (streeterville)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

CVS is now operating Target pharmacies but wouldn't expect one in smaller urban Targets especially with a CVS nearby.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/04/ ... table.aspx

I could see Walgreens now wanting to be somewhere along streetcar line, likely very close to CVS as they tend to do across the country. While a Walgreens would be nice for CCS building, an urban Target would obviously be a better score with Walgreens somewhere else along the line.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not sure the pharmacy business is what they'd be competing on.

I don't know enough about the business to know how lucrative it is, but I spend a lot of time in CVS and rarely see people in the back.

Food, alcohol, daily essentials
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've not been in a small urban footprint target but based on size it seems like it would just be a CVS from a selection perspective anyways?

Maybe more home goods and less shoe pads? I wouldn't expect a bunch of clothes and home furnishings.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:18 am I've not been in a small urban footprint target but based on size it seems like it would just be a CVS from a selection perspective anyways?

Maybe more home goods and less shoe pads? I wouldn't expect a bunch of clothes and home furnishings.
I agree with this. Maybe like a bigger lightbulb section and stuff like that. Wouldn't expect to grab a lamp there though if that analogy works.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:13 am I'm not sure the pharmacy business is what they'd be competing on.

I don't know enough about the business to know how lucrative it is, but I spend a lot of time in CVS and rarely see people in the back.

Food, alcohol, daily essentials
Look at what's in grocery stores. Banks, bill payment, postal service, pharmacy, catering, lunch quick counters, magazines, greeting cards, floral, coffee shop, urgent care, photo printing, dry cleaning, etc. It's all about being a place people want to visit more than once a week.

That's what the pharmacy is for CVS. It's a people bringer.

So that's what an Urban Target should be. They would carry products where they can charge a little more because it's convenient and have a high margin and people might need to return to in the same week.

Light bulbs, cleaning supplies, books/magazines, charging cables, a small drug selection, personal care products, food basics, snacks, hardware basics like screws, some clothing basics, baby food and diapers, makeup (for weddings), storage basics, kitchen basics like cooking utensils, home basics like sheets and shower curtains, some dishes, backpacks and one luggage set, a few toys
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:18 am I've not been in a small urban footprint target but based on size it seems like it would just be a CVS from a selection perspective anyways?

I agree with this. Maybe like a bigger lightbulb section and stuff like that. Wouldn't expect to grab a lamp there though if that analogy works.
From what I've read Target says they adjust urban Targets based on what's lacking in the neighborhood. IE, if there's a pet store nearby they won't carry much if any pet supply. If a new store opens nearby with a particular focus, especially locally owned, Target will adjust. In the smallest stores they rotate items and stick with what sells. Basically they'll fill gaps. I could see some clothing basics, like cheap rain jackets and wind breakers that aren't sports team oriented.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That sounds very enticing
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The one in downtown Minneapolis has a lot of household and food/market-type product on the first floor. They also had a lot of grab-n-go food, beverage and prepared hot food options.