Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by kcdcchef »

i still have a few people that are crown center "insiders" , and everytime i ask why all the money gets spent on atrium remodeling, ice terrace remodeling, cc square remodeling, etc, etc, and that theater has basically sat looking like hell for 15 years now they say that since it is not run by them and it has remained profitable, they have not felt the need to redo.

also in the same sentence they have grumblings that top brass at hallmark is not going to renew the contract of the operators in 2008, and redevelop it themselves.

all heresay though.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I wonder if P&L will be the kick in the pants CC needs to remodel. Competition makes our city better.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I wonder if P&L will be the kick in the pants CC needs to remodel. Competition makes our city better.
perhaps, but the only true part of crown center that is in real need of remodeling is the cinema. they have redone crown center square, the atrium, the ice terrace, the american heartland, the front entrance, and the food court, all within the last 7 years.

what a lot of people also wonder is will the p&l crown center has needed for years to stay open late, nightly?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine the new AMC Mainstreet Theater will result in CC theaters getting an upgrade.  People tend to prefer spiffier theaters if they have a choice.

Hallmark will probably have to do something, and getting rid of the operator might be their first step.

The Mainstreet Theater is going to have a competitive advantage when it opens simply because it will have a restaurant and bar, and patrons will be able to take alcohol into the theater.  Patrons attending later shows will also be able to go into bars and restaurants that will presumably stay open later than Crown Center establishments.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: perhaps, but the only true part of crown center that is in real need of remodeling is the cinema. they have redone crown center square, the atrium, the ice terrace, the american heartland, the front entrance, and the food court, all within the last 7 years.

what a lot of people also wonder is will the p&l crown center has needed for years to stay open late, nightly?
I don't think so. CC always seemed to me more of a kids attraction. I know there are some restaurants, but its not like there are bars there. It seems appropriate to shut things down around 8 or so when the shops close down. P&L is for the night owls. I'd like to see greater connectivity between the two areas though.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I don't think so. CC always seemed to me more of a kids attraction. I know there are some restaurants, but its not like there are bars there. It seems appropriate to shut things down around 8 or so when the shops close down. P&L is for the night owls. I'd like to see greater connectivity between the two areas though.
are you kidding me? crown center, a kids attraction? yeah, right.

american heartland theater is all for kids, so is the sushi place, and all the adult clothing stores on the 3rd floor, i could go on.

kaliedescope and crayola cafe may be geared towards kids, but the complex is built to be a city within a city for the hotel guests, employees of the complex, ( there are over 10 k you know ) and the locals to use as a playground while shopping.

kids, yeah sure.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcdcchef wrote: are you kidding me? crown center, a kids attraction? yeah, right.

american heartland theater is all for kids, so is the sushi place, and all the adult clothing stores on the 3rd floor, i could go on.

kaliedescope and crayola cafe may be geared towards kids, but the complex is built to be a city within a city for the hotel guests, employees of the complex, ( there are over 10 k you know ) and the locals to use as a playground while shopping.

kids, yeah sure.
beat me to it. I have to wonder how often people visit crown center.  You will see kids there, but by far and large, the mall area is geared towards adults.  places like crayola cafe tend have more adults there during the week while places like Fritzs are pretty dead unless it's a weekend and the place is swarming with tourists.  But still, look at the stores, they're all for adults gift shopping, even the toy store and the crayola store.

I still don't think people realize how busy Crown Center stays.  I run over there all the time during the week and there are always lots of people there.  Between the Hotels, the office workers, the residents and the tourists, Crown Center is truly a city within a city, even if it is yet another local attraction that is all but ignored by most of the locals that don't work or live in Crown Center.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: beat me to it. I have to wonder how often people visit crown center.  You will see kids there, but by far and large, the mall area is geared towards adults.  places like crayola cafe tend have more adults there during the week while places like Fritzs are pretty dead unless it's a weekend and the place is swarming with tourists.  But still, look at the stores, they're all for adults gift shopping, even the toy store and the crayola store.

I still don't think people realize how busy Crown Center stays.  I run over there all the time during the week and there are always lots of people there.  Between the Hotels, the office workers, the residents and the tourists, Crown Center is truly a city within a city, even if it is yet another local attraction that is all but ignored by most of the locals that don't work or live in Crown Center.
which is why i do nothing but laugh at the hip, ultra cool younger generation that runs this board, and is so far beyond out of it with regards to kansas city attractions that aren't xroads based.

i think everyone here knows my history with cc, but every time i come in , i obviously go over there and see friends and what's happening. funny thing, there must be 2-3,000 other pittsburgh based chefs who frequent kansas city and hang out at crown center for nostalgia, because everytime i go over there, weekdays, weekends, evenings, there are people hanging out there, shopping, eating, playing, you name it. and unless i am at the coterie, which i never am, you never see more kids then adults. in fact, what you said about crayola cafe hits it right on the head, always chock full of adults eating.

save your breath grid, crown center cannot and will not please those on this board, 10 whole blocks too far south, architecture is not cool enough, and there is not street level retail in every slot. will NEVER please this board.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They are missing out too.  The Crown Center Panera Bread is LOADED with eye candy every day from 10:30 till 1:30 and they aren't any "kids" to be found ;).
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

not to keep going off topic...
GRID wrote:Between the Hotels, the office workers, the residents and the tourists, Crown Center is truly a city within a city, even if it is yet another local attraction that is all but ignored by most of the locals that don't work or live in Crown Center.
this is true, it's kept relatively active by those groups.  For most other people, there really isn't much retail, movies, eating there that they can't find elsewhere.  The unique draws that CC offers, are the ice rink/fountains and general open square area around it, the awesomely grand atrium with its glass curtained view of the fountain/ice rink, the theater groups, and the skywalk experience (along with the various buildings and things you can access through them).

It's a weird complex, definitely takes you back to futures past, but other than maybe catching a show at the theater or just wanting to experience the retro vibe of the whole thing there is really little reason for me to go out of my way to go there.  I still think Crown Center has plenty of potential, just not in its present incarnation.

But i should add, I don't know how much the Mainstreete theater will affect CC's movie theater since they will be offering different kinds of movies aimed at different kinds of crowds.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Post by DaveKCMO »

Crown Center Cinemas to close
By ROBERT W. BUTLER
The Kansas City Star
The Crown Center Cinemas will be closed and converted into a 250-seat rental theater with a thrust stage and backstage amenities that meet Actors Equity regulations.

It will be the third live theater in the shopping and entertainment complex, joining the Coterie and the American Heartland.

The final operating days of the cinemas will be announced soon.

“There are some fantastic performing arts groups in this area who have a difficult time finding space to stage their productions,” said Rick Brown, Crown Center manager of marketing programs. “We hope to develop a core group of four or five groups who use the space regularly.”

The as-yet-unnamed theater also could be used in conjunction with events like Oktoberfest and the Kansas City Irish Fest, Brown said.

The architectural firm on the project is El Dorado Inc. of Kansas City.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this is great news.  i am always up for more theatre options in KC, and the CC Cinemas had become a venue for ridiculous adolescent loitering, which is never a good thing.  i like that El Dorado is designing it as well.  good news all around.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: this is great news.  i am always up for more theatre options in KC, and the CC Cinemas had become a venue for ridiculous adolescent loitering, which is never a good thing.  i like that El Dorado is designing it as well.  good news all around.
yep.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Makes sense with the AMC screens opening in the loop. 
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I’ve worked at Hallmark for almost 30 years and have lived in Santa Fe Place for the last 7 years.  On the fountain remodel, the main reason it was redone is that the ceiling of the underground parking garage had to be replaced.  This involved moving the entire top surface and replacing it.  Since they had to do that, it was a good time to move the fountain back from Grand a little and update the area. Its true there is not much change.  The powers that be received a lot of input that to keep it a 49 nozzle fountain.  People like their memories I guess.
As an earlier posting stated, there is a real good chance that the movie theater will close and a “Second City” type venue will open there.  And Crown Center did update the interior with new carpet and seating about 6 years ago. 
Crown Center will be adding some Condos on the main side of the complex next year.  It would have started this past year, but the slump in the housing market scared everyone off a little.  And with Santa Fe Place going for apartments to condos Hallmark did not want to get to much real estate on the market at the same time.  No surprise, but Hallmark is a very conservative company.  Maybe that is why they are still hanging around.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cknab1 wrote: Crown Center will be adding some Condos on the main side of the complex next year.  It would have started this past year, but the slump in the housing market scared everyone off a little.  And with Santa Fe Place going for apartments to condos Hallmark did not want to get to much real estate on the market at the same time.  No surprise, but Hallmark is a very conservative company.  Maybe that is why they are still hanging around.
...as in "facing main street"? that would be amazing!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

DaveKCMO wrote: ...as in "facing main street"? that would be amazing!
Yes. they are going to build them where our tennis courts are now.  but we get to keep the pool so thats good.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

chrizow wrote:CC Cinemas had become a venue for ridiculous adolescent loitering, which is never a good thing.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Makes sense with the AMC screens opening in the loop. 
Hopefully this doesn't mean we'll have ridiculous adolescent loitering in the P+L District...  even though, are the AMC screens in the loop supposed to be all ages? 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Just talked to an AMC friend.  They are still trying their best to make the Main Street a 21+ only theater.  The plan is to have a bar in the lobby like the Screenland.  In lieu of 21 only it will be like the Plaza Palace. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's about time Hallmark added more housing to Crown Center.  I've always thought that is what keeps it from becoming a true 24-hour district.  They have perfect locations for condo towers that would have great views of city sights: Penn Valley Park, Liberty Memorial, Union Station, Washington Square Park, downtown skyline, and Union Cemetery (which is like having a view of a park). The area has shops and restaurants built in already. It's close to health care services, and Martini Corner, Jazz District, Westport, the Plaza, Crossroads, and Downtown.  Plus, the hospitals, the law firms, Assurant, Blue Cross, IBM, Hallmark, HR Block, the Fed, and IRS are huge employers of white collar workers.  Many of which would be within walking distance of their jobs.
There is no fifth destination.