Do we need more high rises or just infill in the loop?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The reason I ask this queston, is that I was in New Orleans last week at a conference last week, in the Central Business District. New Orleans has close to the same number of skyscrapers as KC. Its a quite dramatic view coming down the river on a boat. But walking around the Central Business District, if felt like a much larger city, more like New York or Baltimore. Most buildings are 3 - 12 stories, very very few surface lots or vacant lots. The parking tended to be in the center of the blocks, you did not see many parking structures from the street. Admittedly, many of the side streets are much narrower than anything in KC, so that certainly contributes to the feel of the city. Most buildings had some interesting detailing, which made the walk very enjoyable. I think in KC I'd rather see every block filled, with buildings at least 3 stories tall, good design, rather than a few scattered skyscrapers in the middle of an empty block. Broadway is a good example of what the entire loop should look like, buildings right up against the sidewalk and street. Reconfigure the parking so that it is in the middle of the block, sorrounded by buildings and activity. It looks like the Cordish development will help in that regard, and I really like the Time Equities plan for the Jones store block. Those two plans are moving in the right direction.

Poor Devin must be having a fit, but I think that just having block after block of buildings, no space between them, active and interesting, will do more than a couple new skyscrapers that look good from a distance and are mere blank facades up close. Of course, a couple more great skyscrapers would be nice too, but not an absolute necessity.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I couldn't agree with you more, tat; as much as I pine for at least one more huge gleaming skyscraper on the skyline I would much rather see a more dense, filled in urban fabric downtown with fewer hideous surface lots. In fact, I don't see any reason for surface lots within the downtown loop. Multi-level garages are far more efficient, house more vehicles and even the worst are much more attractive than surface lots, IMO. Some, like the new Library District garage and Aveneue of the Arts garage even add an element of design into the equation. I'm sure it's about a million times cheaper to stick with the surface lots, but the loss of that uniform downtown fabric is depressing. It seems downtown developers are at least starting to get their acts together with regards to higher quality parking developments, so the future should, I would hope (?), be much brighter for downtown density, especially with the South Loop being filled in to large degree with Block and KC Live :cheers:
are we spinning free?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Yep, I am actually pretty excited about the Library loft garage. It has some unique design elements that should add to the character of the area. It reminds me of some of the older garages dowtown that we foolishly allowed to deteriorate to the point that they can't be saved. The blocks around the Library and the new lofts are eactly what makes downtown look vibrant. Thank God that the south loop will soon add to the excitement of the loop, instead of detracting from it.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Freeway architecture was a thing of the 80s. When you are walking around downtown you honestly do not notice how high a building is, but you notice when the retail or office is vacant.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I'm pretty disappointed with the Library Loft garage. It looks very utilitarian but worse, it doesn't look like there will be retail along the sidewalks. The City should require that all new garages have retail pads along the sidewalks. It's wasteful to not have this foresight. It's poor urban design to be walking along a blank wall too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ig...I couldn't believe there's going to be no retail either...especially right around that area that has so many residents. I was actually hoping for a grocery store in there....it's the perfect centralized location.

I do know the garage will be painted (or something) to look like books in a bookshelf.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc