OFFICIAL - New Downtown YMCA (former Lyric Theater)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Downtown YMCA

Post by FangKC »

I agree. The YMCA should consider partnering with a developer to do a mixed -use building. I would rather see them reuse the Lyric Theater property than this parcel. The Lyric would then have a new purpose, and this parcel would be available for a larger-sized office or residential tower.

The YMCA is said to be exploring the Lyric reuse, since it would be cheaper. I wish I could see the preliminary Lyric reuse plan that was shown to the YMCA.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

I think the building looks pretty nice.... as a base. This would be a pretty swank YMCA, exactly what you want in the middle of a burgeoning mid-size metropolis' downtown.

God dammit though!!! Ever since I set eyes on this my mind has been blown to pieces trying to understand why it is going forward as a single use project. It just screams multi-use. They have been having trouble making the money work too right? Well why don't they just add a freaking apartment tower onto it, and then bammmmm!!!!!! You have a way to make much more money on this property. That building is just begging for a tower to sit on it too. I mean look at that little guy.

Anyone in the know, can you please tell me who would be best to contact about this project? I am not going to sit here and let them be such imbeciles without informing them on the right way to go about this. I would like to try and explain to them why it would be wise and in their best interests to try and find a developer to team up with and take this project to the next level. I figure what's the worst that could happen? They don't listen to me? Oh well. Maybe they are giant stupid heads and haven't even considered it though, so I must mention it.

I also suggest everyone else to try and convince these people as well. Man, if enough people send them messages trying to convince them of the benefits of building mixed use, maybe they will really look into it. Would't be the first time we helped create change in this great city.

So once again I ask, does anyone know who would be the very best person to talk to about this? I am looking into this as well right now, but I want to make sure I talk to the right person.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:"design sucks/not tall enough/looks like 119th and black bob/cheap materials/needs ground floor retail"
The facade reminds me a bit of the CVS at 75th and Mission.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Nailed it!

efil4garCK!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Mullions!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That CVS is one of the coolest buildings in KC.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Kivett & Myers, IIRC.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Heard from a very reliable source that the 10th & Grand parking lot site is out of consideration due to financial restrictions (replacing the lost parking spots for UMB). The Lyric site is now the leading candidate (enough parking for the project without the loss of spaces for other users). There apparently are renderings of the project which show a gutted building (saving the south and west street-fronting elevations) with an all-glass exterior east elevation. I'm fuzzy on details, but the project as described to me sounded pretty neat.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote:Heard from a very reliable source that the 10th & Grand parking lot site is out of consideration due to financial restrictions (replacing the lost parking spots for UMB). The Lyric site is now the leading candidate (enough parking for the project without the loss of spaces for other users). There apparently are renderings of the project which show a gutted building (saving the south and west street-fronting elevations) with an all-glass exterior east elevation. I'm fuzzy on details, but the project as described to me sounded pretty neat.
Sounds like the giant surface lot remains then as parking for the project?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:Heard from a very reliable source that the 10th & Grand parking lot site is out of consideration due to financial restrictions (replacing the lost parking spots for UMB). The Lyric site is now the leading candidate (enough parking for the project without the loss of spaces for other users). There apparently are renderings of the project which show a gutted building (saving the south and west street-fronting elevations) with an all-glass exterior east elevation. I'm fuzzy on details, but the project as described to me sounded pretty neat.
Thanks UMB!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

#SaveOurParking
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

smh wrote:
Sounded like it. No mention of structured parking. Not sure if the project requires/thinks they need the amount provided by the lot. The project may have a larger footprint than the Lyric and encroach onto the lot some.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote:
smh wrote:
Sounded like it. No mention of structured parking. Not sure if the project requires/thinks they need the amount provided by the lot. The project may have a larger footprint than the Lyric and encroach onto the lot some.
I believe the alley that technically ran between that lot and the Lyric was vacated by the City in the Crossroads Academy alley vacation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: I believe the alley that technically ran between that lot and the Lyric was vacated by the City in the Crossroads Academy alley vacation.
the parcel viewer appears to validate this
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A TIF for converting the Lyric into the downtown YMCA goes to the Planning & Zoning Commitee next week.

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't wait to see some architectural renderings.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Hmm, I'll be happy to see the Lyric in use again but can't say I'm too excited about the idea of converting to a YMCA. Would much rather it still be used for the performing arts or some kind of unconventional entertainment space. Maybe a combined home for some of the smaller regional theater companies, or something along those lines.

Certainly the financial picture at those types of entities would be a barrier, as well as the existence of available performance space elsewhere. Still, would like to see downtown keep adding entertainment, especially in such a centrally located and elegant building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

rxlexi wrote:Hmm, I'll be happy to see the Lyric in use again but can't say I'm too excited about the idea of converting to a YMCA. Would much rather it still be used for the performing arts or some kind of unconventional entertainment space. Maybe a combined home for some of the smaller regional theater companies, or something along those lines.

Certainly the financial picture at those types of entities would be a barrier, as well as the existence of available performance space elsewhere. Still, would like to see downtown keep adding entertainment, especially in such a centrally located and elegant building.
rxlexi, at one time, I was hoping at least the UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance would be interested in using it as a recital hall, and offices.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.