renovate hanna, demolish lane... are we still doing this?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: renovate hanna, demolish lane... are we still doing this

Post by DaveKCMO »

the city plan commission today approved vacation of the alley behind the lane building. developer rep said hotel, demolish south part of the block... presumably that includes the lane. :(

anyone know what next steps are? parcels will be automatically rezoned for streetcar in april, so we've lost that leverage.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Is this a separate endeavour from the rehab of the Hanna for Sporting KC? I hadn't heard about a hotel?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:Is this a separate endeavour from the rehab of the Hanna for Sporting KC? I hadn't heard about a hotel?
same ownership. they got lane (and some adjacent parking lots) when they bought hanna. the other owners on the block are the christmas tree people (the yellow buildings that face baltimore and main).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
grovester wrote:Is this a separate endeavour from the rehab of the Hanna for Sporting KC? I hadn't heard about a hotel?
same ownership. they got lane (and some adjacent parking lots) when they bought hanna. the other owners on the block are the christmas tree people (the yellow buildings that face baltimore and main).
Any additional details on this hotel talk?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

other than the crossroads is a completely inappropriate location for a big, major brand hotel? no.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'm interested in the hotel as well. No way this is convention hotel site.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:other than the crossroads is a completely inappropriate location for a big, major brand hotel? no.
Do we know that's what has been proposed? I'd hate to lose the Lane building, but I also would like to see a block of mixed-use development. I'm not saying I'd sacrifice the Lane for it, but I'd be willing to hear details. If we're talking Hampton Inn in a parking lot, that's a different story. I suspect I don't know all the info however...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote:other than the crossroads is a completely inappropriate location for a big, major brand hotel? no.
Are they allowed to demolish without an approved plan?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:
Are they allowed to demolish without an approved plan?
LOL. you're funny. YES.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Really don't mean to be. Every time this topic comes up, I can't believe it's still allowed. Even the burbs would question a demo permit appication without a parallel development plan. Can't the city slow walk this kind of thing?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

in the city's defense, they're up against the "hard to do business with" meme and big money development lawyers (oh, and the guys behind cerner!). most people would call the current process pretty slow (which it is).

i should add that demo permit has NOT been issued. lest we forget that cosby's demo permit was issued and demolition was imminent. and now look!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd be up for new building integrating current facade.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

There is nothing to prevent demolition of any property, on Main Street, or Meltcalf, or Noland Road, if the owner wishes to demolish the property.

City's can insure that the demo is completed in a safe and workmanlike manner, but they can not stop the demolition, no matter how iconic, historic or otherwise important the structure might be. Landmark status, or a position on the National Historic Registry do not secure a buildings existance.

Sometimes there is other forms of leverage that can be used, such as the owners need/desire for city approval of new construction, or support for another endeavor by the owner.

As well, public pressure and the onset of negative publicity can be an effective tool, in the event the owner entity gives a hoot what the community thinks of their activities.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Time is often money. There are many ways a city can discourage behaviour and they should explore all of them. Assuming the city has a desire to do it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison tweeted that the Lane Building will not be affected by the hotel project. The Lane Building is still owned by Sporting Innovation.

Developer plans city’s first new downtown hotel tower since 1985
The Chartwell hotel project is planned for the block between Main Street and Baltimore Avenue from 16th Street to Truman Road. It will be next to the new Sporting Innovation offices in the redeveloped Hanna Rubber Co. building at 1511 Baltimore. It does not include the old Lane Blueprint building at 1520 Main.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/44 ... t-new.html
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i read that to be that the lane will NOT be demolished. i've emailed kevin for confirmation.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've updated it Dave.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:i read that to be that the lane will NOT be demolished. i've emailed kevin for confirmation.
I read it as the Lane building will not be demolished as well. In fact, it isn't entirely clear where he means the building will go. he says between 16th and Truman on Baltimore...if thats the case it must be across the street from Sportings new office b/c if it is next to the offices as he states, then it would be a very, very small spot for a garage, 10 floors, and 250+ rooms.

come on Collison, give us some clarity! :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kevin confirms the lane will not be demolished for this project. i can confirm that the interior has been cleaned and false walls removed in the last month. the cleaning crew indicated it might be made available for lease, which is very good news.

the streetcar project team is required to locate an office on the alignment. the lane would be perfect for that.