Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by KCPowercat »

What is the reasoning behind adding them later versus at the same time?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:It's time for people to get tired of bitching about it. Thus Public Works will continue its de facto policy of taking away your right to cross the street at intersections with uncontrolled cross traffic.
This is where city code conflicts with reality more than it's bad planning.
A crosswalk is *supposed* to mean all cars slow down and yield for pedestrians though it's worded as the pedestrian not having to yield to cars...

It looks like that hasn't been touched since 1984 so there's clear room for improvement.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd in LA several years ago and a car screeched to a halt in front of me and I had no idea why. It's a wide blvd... then saw on opposite side a pedestrian was waiting to cross, wasn't even in the street. There was a sign at the crosswalk... $300 fine if not yielding to pedestrians. KC needs a high fine like that but need to start with well painted checkered or large striped crosswalks.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd in LA several years ago and a car screeched to a halt in front of me and I had no idea why. It's a wide blvd... then saw on opposite side a pedestrian was waiting to cross, wasn't even in the street. There was a sign at the crosswalk... $300 fine if not yielding to pedestrians. KC needs a high fine like that but need to start with well painted checkered or large striped crosswalks.
Similarly, in Portland cars will stop for you if you even breathe in the direction of a crossing. Could be a stiff penalty, but in that city I've always attributed to the larger culture of walking and the greater odds that the driver of the car has been a pedestrian at some point in the day.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:What is the reasoning behind adding them later versus at the same time?
don't want to mess with the federal funding and modot. i don't blame them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I read an article in Citylab that stated the problem with most designers of city throughfares is that they are trained for highways and moving car traffic, and not pedestrians, or creating pleasant streets for humans.

http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2016/0 ... ls/479343/

http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/10/w ... ow/381117/
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

pash wrote:It's time for people to get tired of bitching about it. Thus Public Works will get away with perpetuating its de facto policy of taking away your right to cross the street at intersections with uncontrolled cross traffic.
Why not blame the body that is responsible - the City Council. That body approves the budget, sets policy, approves ordinances the departments follow, and provides the guidance to the departments. Public Works has some power but that is the power the City Council gives it.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

FangKC wrote:I read an article in Citylab that stated the problem with most designers of city throughfares is that they are trained for highways and moving car traffic, and not pedestrians, or creating pleasant streets for humans.

My experience supports this theory. I had a transportation engineering professor who liked to refer to "pesky peds". Most of the roadway design exercises I can recall were greenfield suburban/rural stroads or highways. I'm not sure if urban design was considered "below" us or just thought to be not in demand. Most universities gear their curriculum to provide the types of engineers they are told are in demand, so they are a de facto mirror of current market trends. I've been out of school for a decade or so, so maybe things are different now.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

pash wrote:"Tammy the Toyota-driver, a long day in the corporate doldrums behind her, hesitates—before, as quickly as it arrived, the faint, flickering impulse of humanity, of civilization, of near-recognition of the significance those white stripes you're treading on departs her mind, and she guns it towards Overland Park."
You are hilarious! :lol: =D>
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eon Blue wrote:
FangKC wrote:I read an article in Citylab that stated the problem with most designers of city throughfares is that they are trained for highways and moving car traffic, and not pedestrians, or creating pleasant streets for humans.

My experience supports this theory. I had a transportation engineering professor who liked to refer to "pesky peds". Most of the roadway design exercises I can recall were greenfield suburban/rural stroads or highways. I'm not sure if urban design was considered "below" us or just thought to be not in demand. Most universities gear their curriculum to provide the types of engineers they are told are in demand, so they are a de facto mirror of current market trends. I've been out of school for a decade or so, so maybe things are different now.
Perhaps we should import some European city street designers, since they are experienced creating decent pedestrian--oriented streets that also move traffic and handle mass transit.

The width of traffic lanes argument is true. I know that the wider the lane of a street, the faster I tend to drive on it. The narrower the street, the slower I go. Cars should be secondary to people in more dense urban areas. Pedestrians must be prioritized because humans are more fragile than cars, and a speeding car can do a lot of damage. It doesn't make a lot of sense to allow cars to move so fast through urban areas anyway, because if you watch drivers, they tend to speed from one stoplight to the next, and then sit. A slower-moving car that they passed catches up to them at the light. It doesn't really make sense to speed from one stoplight to another anyway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:A slower-moving car that they passed catches up to them at the light. It doesn't really make sense to speed from one stoplight to another anyway.
There's some roads that you can never really go fast and get anywhere.

Burlington through NKC has nearly perfectly timed signals to the point if you go the speed limit that you might hit one red light at Armour and that's it. Going even 5mph over the timing is off just enough you're more likely to wait at a light.

This isn't true during heavy traffic but any other time it is.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Crosswalks across Grand at 17th were going in last Thursday. Haven't had a chance to ensure they were completed, but it's possibly a good sign.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bspecht wrote:Crosswalks across Grand at 17th were going in last Thursday. Haven't had a chance to ensure they were completed, but it's possibly a good sign.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And just in time for the street to be restriped?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

quite sure they figured out a way to paint these crosswalks without affecting the plan. they wouldn't have done it otherwise.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:quite sure they figured out a way to paint these crosswalks without affecting the plan. they wouldn't have done it otherwise.
I love the optimism!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote:quite sure they figured out a way to paint these crosswalks without affecting the plan. they wouldn't have done it otherwise.
I don't know. Unless times have changed one team may not know what another team is doing. Even when both are in the same department.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

keep hearing 'late june' construction start for the full 'downtown bike loop' project.

not sure what will happen to the viaduct over 670 though: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 62362.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Modot is really going to extreme measures to not make grand grand... Now even wrecking their own bridges!?!?