UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by FangKC »

Helix team will design UMKC Conservatory

http://tinyurl.com/qd5y5og
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Such beautiful blank walls at street level. Really in keeping with the PAC theme.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's a really, really early design concept. The competition was only 10 days ago.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:Such beautiful blank walls at street level. Really in keeping with the PAC theme.
Other than being curved metal, one entire side of the PAC is blank walls and a tiny door

Blank walls can work if done right. They just frequently aren't
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Maybe there are windows at ground level but they have the lights turned out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:Maybe there are windows at ground level but they have the lights turned out.
=D>
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, maybe it's those frosted panels like are on the Bloch Building at the Nelson-Atkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Yeah, maybe it's those frosted panels like are on the Bloch Building at the Nelson-Atkins.
that would be cool. even a blank panel with an artistic feel would work, kind of like the panels on the 670 bridges
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

RE: the obviously shitty rendering, it is my understanding that the team will come back with "actual" renderings etc. in early 2015.

I'm really excited about the possibilities for this site, both structurally and culturally. Should be a major, impactful addition to the Xroads, though I really want to see the student housing go up right alongside it (timing wise).
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

rxlexi wrote:RE: the obviously shitty rendering, it is my understanding that the team will come back with "actual" renderings etc. in early 2015.

I'm really excited about the possibilities for this site, both structurally and culturally. Should be a major, impactful addition to the Xroads, though I really want to see the student housing go up right alongside it (timing wise).
I thought it was said that there was no plan for student housing as part of this development. As in not even remotely their anticipated concern...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Loftguy, you are correct in that student housing is not in the immediate plans for the facility, I was just stating that I'd like to see it happen concurrently. Or else as soon as possible.

The PAC remains a beautifully sited island downtown, and the idea of an "arts village" kind of place, complete with a built-in student population, is so appealing as a bridge to the xroads.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

first activity i've seen in awhile... from the development review committee.
8:30 AM
AW 1. SD 1498 - Preliminary Plat - Block 4 Development - To consider approval of a preliminary plat in District M1-5 (Manufacturing 1 dash 5), on about 2 acres generally located west of Central Street, east of Broadway, south of W 17th Street and north of W 18th Street creating one commercial lot.

Agent: Block 4 Acquisitions, Inc.

8:40 AM
AW 2. SD1498A - Final Plat - Block 4 Development - To consider approval of a final plat in District M1-5 (Manufacturing 1 dash 5), on about 2 acres generally located west of Central Street, east of Broadway, south of W 17th Street and north of W 18th Street creating one commercial lot.

Agent: Block 4 Acquisitions, Inc.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's still a private funding gap on the new arts campus. wouldn't expect to see anything happen on site this year.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Ward family has a lot of money now from selling Russell Stover Candies. :lol:
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

UMKC has about a year left to obtain the rest of the funding for this project in order to get the 20 million dollar match from Kauffman. I believe that also means getting the MO state government to pitch in 50% of the cost for the project. Does anyone have any idea how the private part of the fund raising is going? I am would imagine it would take some time to line up the legislatures to approve the match and I am under the impression they would need the 50% in private funding upfront before the state would match it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://conservatory.umkc.edu/release.cfm?cont=1A2AE7
More than $29 million has been raised with $19 million needed to complete UMKC’s private fundraising goal for the project. Once that is accomplished, UMKC will submit a request to the State of Missouri for a matching $48 million appropriation through the Higher Education Capital Fund that was created to allow for public matching funds to private gifts.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

flyingember wrote:https://conservatory.umkc.edu/release.cfm?cont=1A2AE7
More than $29 million has been raised with $19 million needed to complete UMKC’s private fundraising goal for the project. Once that is accomplished, UMKC will submit a request to the State of Missouri for a matching $48 million appropriation through the Higher Education Capital Fund that was created to allow for public matching funds to private gifts.

Thanks and I am actually looking for more info on how they are doing in closing the $19 million private funding gap, which according to the article needs to be done before going to the state for the match. In two years since the $20 million matching grant was announced they only raised an additional 6 million out of the $45 million in private funding. That $6 million also includes that land that was obtained for the campus. Unless someone knows that it's a slam dunk in getting the state to fund it, my worry is that it's going take some time and they only have the next legislative session to get the $20 million match from Kauffman.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i believe i heard there was an option to just finance the entire thing and not rely on state cash.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Pork Chop wrote: Thanks and I am actually looking for more info on how they are doing in closing the $19 million private funding gap, which according to the article needs to be done before going to the state for the match. In two years since the $20 million matching grant was announced they only raised an additional 6 million out of the $45 million in private funding. That $6 million also includes that land that was obtained for the campus. Unless someone knows that it's a slam dunk in getting the state to fund it, my worry is that it's going take some time and they only have the next legislative session to get the $20 million match from Kauffman.
I have heard that the fundraising is not going well and meeting the goal to receive the matching funds is in doubt. This makes the whole project uncertain, and apparently, they are exploring just renovating the current buildings on campus.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Pork Chop wrote: Thanks and I am actually looking for more info on how they are doing in closing the $19 million private funding gap, which according to the article needs to be done before going to the state for the match. In two years since the $20 million matching grant was announced they only raised an additional 6 million out of the $45 million in private funding. That $6 million also includes that land that was obtained for the campus. Unless someone knows that it's a slam dunk in getting the state to fund it, my worry is that it's going take some time and they only have the next legislative session to get the $20 million match from Kauffman.
I have heard that the fundraising is not going well and meeting the goal to receive the matching funds is in doubt. This makes the whole project uncertain, and apparently, they are exploring just renovating the current buildings on campus.
Thanks and that would be disappointing and very short sighted of the KC civic community to say the least. I really don't have anything personal to gain for this directly, but it would be "another piece to the puzzle" for downtown. Something unique for a city of our size that would be attractive for not only to students, but generally for everyone as well....I know, I am preaching to the choir for most people on this forum.