UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by FangKC »

Proposed site east of the Kauffman Center:

The one thing I don't like about the eastern campus site around Main and Baltimore is the 500-seat theatre space appears to require the demolition of this building, where Anton's just opened recently.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.09421,-9 ... 6,,0,-2.65

The Crossroads Neighborhood Association, and other parties interested in maintaining and protecting the historic built environment of the Crossroads, needs to make it clear to UMKC from the get-go that they need to respect the existing neighborhood. There is no need to demolish buildings to accomplish this downtown campus. There are plenty of surface parking lots all around that area.

That theater space could be added at another location that doesn't require the demolition of this structure. The alterative for UMKC, if they want to build along Main, is to build the theater using the Anton's building in some manner, but not requiring its' demolition.

You could also site the theater to the south of Anton's along Main. Another way to go is to build it on the vacant parcel east of Wyandotte and south of 16th Street, which appears to have been appropriated already for the conservatory, and push the conservatory space further south.

In principle, one shouldn't really need to demolish any buildings to create this downtown campus. A good design plan could do this.

If buildings are going to be demolished, I'd rather see the UMKC campus along Broadway where less signficant structures exist.

Another thing I don't like much is seeing a new theater space built when the Lyric Theater is sitting empty, and without a use. If the FAA training facility doesn't end up there, it's a theater space without a purpose. I worry about the fate of the Lyric if the FAA thing doesn't happen.

The Lyric Building used to house a broadcast studio (KMBC Channel 9). It would seem that KCUR and the visual arts, film, and media space could be placed in the old Channel 9 studio area, and the 500 theater reperatory space could be in the auditorium area.

When the Lyric building was last used as a movie theater, it seated 700 people.

Personally, I would rather have seen this campus centered around 11th and Central, and mostly using existing buildings. It would seem to me that UMKC might be able to use underutilized theater spaces that already exist. The Lyric building and the Folly Theater. The Folly doesn't seem to have that many other events there, and schedules could be integrated for two purposes--the public and the academic. The Deramus Building, the Central Exchange (former fire headquarters), and 300 W. 11th (Financing Holding Corporation) could be part of the campus. I think DST already owns these buildings, and with the new management seeking to unload their real estate holdings, that perhaps UMKC could purchase these structures and adapt them for classrooms, offices, and practice and performance facilities.

We also have the empty Brookfield Building at 11th and Baltimore nearby that might be converted into student housing.

There is also the Little Theatre space in Municipal Auditorium, and the Music Hall that could be rented for public performances. There also used to be a 1000-seat former auditorium space in the former Power & Light Building that occupied the fifth and sixth floors. Does anyone know if it still remains?

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=8

I would rather re-use what we already have than start tearing down buildings to construct new. The siting plan east of the PAC also appears to require the demolition of perfectly good and occupied structures. We shouldn't have to remove existing buildings and tenants when there are vacant lots and other buildings that could be repurposed.

UMKC needs to pay attention to these concepts because they already have a history of igniting the ire of their campus neighbors with past plans.

As a sidenote, a university should also set an example for the right way to accomplish these goals -- that benefit the entire community that supports them and not just their own. As Missouri taxpayers, we all do support the university with our tax dollars through higher education funding, and many campus projects do get funding via our legislature.

http://midwest.construction.com/yb/mw/a ... =181541804
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:The one thing I don't like about the eastern campus site around Main and Baltimore is the 500-seat theatre space appears to require the demolition of this building, where Anton's just opened recently.
Huh. I completely missed this when first looking at the layout and completely agree that it makes little sense to demolish a newly rennovated building. There are gigantic parking lots between Anton's and the old Retro Inferno that are not even considered in the plan. I still like the idea of building to the East, but the spacing could clearly be improved upon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I see no point to wasting that space creating the "grand staircase" from Baltimore to Wyandotte either. Put the theater space there instead and on that land marked "future expansion." Or bury some parking under a new building there. It's foolish to be knocking down buildings for an expansive campus and creating dumb little park space/grand staircases. There is park space in front of the PAC.

Stick to the street grid. People can walk half a block and go up the sidewalk that is already there. Or use interior staircases and elevators for people to cross over from one side of the block to the other.

I swear the planning in this City is being done by monkey-brained people sometimes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think we should put a lot of stock into the granular details of that plan... Including antons going away.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Are parking lot owners in that area holding on until the next convention hotel to see if they can win the land speculation lottery? Most of these parking lots seem like they are empty 95% of the time. Does anyone have a feel for what kind of money needs to be involved for some of these folks to part ways with these slabs of asphalt, or is the no/low maintenance stream of parking and towing fees actually lucrative enough that developers aren't interested in meeting the asking price?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I wonder how many lots would change hands if the city mandated all day/hourly rate lot payments at pay parking lots be electronically documented for auditing purposes?

No more handing a guy with a cash drawer only $10 for event rates and getting only a paper ticket. No more fold up the bill and poke it into the slot system.

Think of how many lots site are unmonitored except when they want to make extra for special events. They're gold mines once you have the paving paid for.

Go to the actual parking lot behind Union Station for a good example of such an electronic system. I can't imagine such a system would be as cheap.

But I could see it as important to make sure all the parking lots in the city aren't skimming from the cash income.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

to make sure all the parking lots in the city aren't skimming from the cash income.
And require that of all bar owners also. And while at it barber and beauty shops as well. Why not outlaw all cash transactions while we are at it?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
to make sure all the parking lots in the city aren't skimming from the cash income.
And require that of all bar owners also. And while at it barber and beauty shops as well. Why not outlaw all cash transactions while we are at it?
where did you get that idea?

there's a difference between requiring a paper trail and outlawing cash.

look at the square reader, it has a built in method to handle cash payments
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

My point is why would the city be concerned about whether someone is skimming cash or not? That is not a "city" crime.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

[quote="pash"]

Proposed site south and west of the Kauffman Center:

I found this image of the Gehry design for the performing arts center at the World Trade Center site in NYC, that has been downsized from this to an less ambitious plan.

I thought a similar design could be used at the Broadway and W. 17th Street site for the UMCK Conservatory of Music and Dance.

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

The funding for this project is starting to get some traction:

Backers want to identify at least $44 million in potential funding, about half the cost of the first phase, before “taking it to the next level.”

Last week, Dave Lady, president of the Muriel McBrien Kauffman Foundation, said the organization is seriously considering helping the endeavor.

“It’s fair to describe it as we’re in a due diligence stage,” Lady said. “We continue to evaluate the opportunity. Thre’s a lot that’s unknown at this time.”

“It has the potential to be a really big project on so many different fronts,” Lady said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/06/42 ... rylink=cpy
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Pork Chop wrote:The funding for this project is starting to get some traction:

Backers want to identify at least $44 million in potential funding, about half the cost of the first phase, before “taking it to the next level.”
this project is going to cost nearly $90M!?!?!? i had no idea it would be that vast in scope.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

chrizow wrote:

this project is going to cost nearly $90M!?!?!? i had no idea it would be that vast in scope.
Around $200M for the entire project not including land acquisition costs. The project will be done in 4 phases if there is funding for it. The only issue is the 50% match from the state that may not come due to budget constraints. Well, I guess the other issue is if civic community of KC won't fund it either, but hopefully with Kauffman backing it they will.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chrizow wrote:

$90 million is a small project these days.

the Kauffman Center was $415 million
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^However the babysteps of the first move sets the stage to grow in the future.

Major announcement Wednesday...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ntown.html
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

earthling wrote:^However the babysteps of the first move sets the stage to grow in the future.

Major announcement Wednesday...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ntown.html
Starting to sound really good and with the biz journal reporting on DST owning a good chunk of land along Broadway, I am wouldn't be surprised that will be the location of the new campus. Hopefully DST decided to donate it.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Backers of UMKC downtown arts campus court Muriel Kauffman Foundation for funding

Per Kevin Collison Tweet: Julia Kauffman expected to announce funding for #UMKC DT conservatory Wednesday, y

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/06/42 ... -arts.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCtonic wrote:Backers of UMKC downtown arts campus court Muriel Kauffman Foundation for funding

Per Kevin Collison Tweet: Julia Kauffman expected to announce funding for #UMKC DT conservatory Wednesday, y

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/06/42 ... -arts.html
that explains why they're holding on to those grassy parcels to the north of what was the orion building.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So, this is likely to be a huge announcement, right? A game-changer that is actually going to happen. Not count my chickens...