UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by missingkc »

Kevin Collison in the Star:

On a completely different topic, turns out the University of Missouri-Kansas City isn’t the only institution of higher learning that wants to have a bigger artistic presence downtown.

At a gathering last week at the Central Library regarding the proposed UMKC downtown arts campus, Jacqueline Chanda, president of the Kansas City Art Institute, said her school was considering a potential graduate program and would like a downtown location.

“She sees the visual arts as being part of the mix,” said Anne Canfield, a spokeswoman for the Art Institute.

Most of the discussion about UMKC’s proposed downtown arts campus so far has been about relocating the Conservatory of Music and Dance. But other programs, including the College of Arts and Sciences arts programs, could follow if the plan gained momentum.

Whether a possible Art Institute graduate program would want to have space on the proposed UMKC arts campus wasn’t addressed by Chanda, according to Canfield. UMKC is looking at three potential sites, two near the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and one at Barney Allis Plaza.

To me, it would be a welcome addition if the institution that has educated many of the talented artists who’ve contributed to greater downtown’s growth as an art center decided to join the party wherever they might go.

And for the record, Canfield did say that the Art Institute was not considering having its potential graduate program included in one of the redevelopment plans being discussed for the vacant Westport High School building.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/10/38 ... rylink=cpy
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The head of the Kansas City Art Institute say on the Local Show tonight on PBS that KCAI is considering expanding to the Crossroads area in some capacity, and being part of the downtown arts campus.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

When is something going to be decided about this proposal, I thought it was the end of the year?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is this still just wishful planning or does UMKC have the funding to pull this off? Down to two possible sites...
Still options for the conservatory are a site that includes two blocks between Wyandotte and Main streets north of 17th Street and a site on a three-block stretch near Broadway and 17th Street.

Originally, Morton said the school considered 12 sites.
Glad to see it's Xroads and not Loop.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... gle+Reader
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like the Wyandotte to Main location better.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

pash wrote:
But because of that, I sort of hope UMKC goes in west of the Kauffman Center. I think it's much likelier that private development fills in the area west of the PAC long before the area east of it. ...
Why would you want UMKC to locate in any area much more likely to be developed privately? Wouldn't it make more sense for UMKC to develop in an area less likely to be devloped privately?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

pash wrote:Whoops. I had meant to write that I think the Wyandotte-Main (east) location is likelier to attract private development, and therefore I hope UMKC builds on the Broadway (west) location.
ahh, gotcha. gotta be east location, though. criminal not put a university on the starter line. and, I think the area west of PAC is incredibly attractive for private development. intuitively. great highway access, best highway visibility, on a main artery (broadway), unparalleld views of the PAC and downtown.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I think your east/west labels are switched
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd like to see option #1 (to the East). It looks like it will connect with the rest of the Crossroads well, and the overall infill possibilities seem better.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Option #1 would be my preference, though both options endanger valuable future parking space near the Webster House. ;-)

Given that the KCUR/Visual Arts buildings in Option 2 are owned by SH, how realistic are either of these exact arrangements?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pash wrote:Well, a two or three block walk isn't going to kill anybody. Both locations would be accessible from the streetcar.

And I don't recall these having been posted, so here are the site concepts, from an article in the UMKC student paper published last September:

Proposed site east of the Kauffman Center:

Definitely this one. Makes for a much more campus synergy vs. crossing Broadway.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

^ got to say i agree. the west side of broadway is prime to get completely redeveloped. May be far off.

The "east" plan just fits so much better into the Xroads and would be a boon to the street life there.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

So the Rep is moving from UMKC's campus to downtown? What effect will this have on the Rep theatre in the H&R Block building, just 3-4 blocks away?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It makes much more sense for it to be near Main rather than Broadway as UMKC students get a 'free' bus pass. MAX goes down Main to UMKC and streetcar likely eventually will.

Main St. through Xroads direly needs infill development. Xroads is very similar to Williamsburg arts district in Brooklyn but Xroads lacks a central pedestrian corridor of eats/shops - it's too scattered. Developing as much infill along Main, especially to encourage student foot traffic, is the way to go.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Isn't there a pretty significant change in elevation right in the middle of the East plan?

Anyone have any information on how they are going to handle that?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

knucklehead wrote:Isn't there a pretty significant change in elevation right in the middle of the East plan?

Anyone have any information on how they are going to handle that?

Hopefully with some sort of grand staircase. While they are at it, insert a ton of underground parking...including spots Mrs. Helz can rent/buy. SAVE the Orion building