UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote:
I'm betting they have the land picked out for a site and the first major donor that gets them to something like 10% of their funds and the land purchase. or something similar to that.

try and use it for "peer" pressure to get more donations. apparently 70% of donations come because of peer pressure

hey, look at what happened
UMKC Chancellor Leo Morton estimated at least $20- to $25 million in additional private donations needed to be raised. The major show of support by Kauffman however, should signal to other philanthropists in the region that the UMKC Conservatory proposal is worthy of their support.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/26/43 ... rylink=cpy
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Muriel McBrien Kauffman Foundation offers $20 million for UMKC Conservatory move:
Two potential locations have been identified for the proposed downtown Conservatory, both bordering the Kauffman Center. One site is east of the center and covers two blocks roughly from Wyandotte and Main streets from 16th to 17th streets. Kauffman controls more than half that site, which is currently a vacant, landscaped property.

The other location includes sections of the blocks at the northwest and southeast corners of 17th Street and Broadway. It also has room to the south for expansion on land owned by DST Realty currently used as a community garden.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

90 million project, 50% covered by the state(?!), Kauffmann in for 20. Need to raise 25 million in 3 years.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote:
I'm betting they have the land picked out for a site and the first major donor that gets them to something like 10% of their funds and the land purchase. or something similar to that.

try and use it for "peer" pressure to get more donations. apparently 70% of donations come because of peer pressure
hey, look at what happened
UMKC Chancellor Leo Morton estimated at least $20- to $25 million in additional private donations needed to be raised. The major show of support by Kauffman however, should signal to other philanthropists in the region that the UMKC Conservatory proposal is worthy of their support.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/26/43 ... rylink=cpy
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Does the three year match period mean that construction might not start until three years from now? I didn't see anything in the article about the timeline other than that. Hopefully they can get their ducks lined up sooner.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Eon Blue wrote:Does the three year match period mean that construction might not start until three years from now? I didn't see anything in the article about the timeline other than that. Hopefully they can get their ducks lined up sooner.
I don't know how parallel a situation it is, but they began construction on the PAC before all the funding had been raised.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:Does the three year match period mean that construction might not start until three years from now? I didn't see anything in the article about the timeline other than that. Hopefully they can get their ducks lined up sooner.
I'd bet it's further out than that. They can't make a final plan until they have an actual dollar amount available.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMax wrote:
I don't know how parallel a situation it is, but they began construction on the PAC before all the funding had been raised.
that was a 7-year process from planning to groundbreaking. construction took another 5 years.

I would have expected the construction to be the longer portion.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:
I'd bet it's further out than that. They can't make a final plan until they have an actual dollar amount available.
Don't know flyingmember, the PAC construction started very, very soon after the match period.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
flyingember wrote:
Don't know flyingmember, the PAC construction started very, very soon after the match period.
as you can see, they had 7 years to plan before they broke ground.

so I bet it comes back to if UMKC has a workable plan ready and the property purchased. notice how quickly ground broke on the Kauffman Center after they purchased the land. that may end up being the key holdup. because the design of the campus will depend on the exact space they can acquire.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that Julia Kauffman might donate the land east of the PAC. The design of the building(s) will most likely have to be site-specific, so the land will come first.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:I have a feeling that Julia Kauffman might donate the land east of the PAC. The design of the building(s) will most likely have to be site-specific, so the land will come first.
There's two pieces which would be a good start.

looks like the PAC owns one to the east and the city owns that parking lot next to the bluff at Baltimore and 670.

the city donating that would easily follow the idea of giving city-owned land up for good density improvements downtown funded with a minimum of help from the city. they would benefit in having people downtown. the sales taxes alone is worth more than the parking lot
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote: as you can see, they had 7 years to plan before they broke ground.
It wasn't 7 solid years of planning. IIRC the project was on hold for a year or two around 2004. If by planning you mean fundraising, then 7 years might be accurate. But in terms of actual design work, there was a hiatus.

The PAC construction was broken into packages. The excavation and foundations were being done before the final set of drawings was completed. Fundraising was still going on while all of that was taking place.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The University of Missouri-Kansas City is looking for the state to ante up more than $95 million toward high-priority campus construction and building renovation projects.

On Friday, Curators approved making that request for funds along with requests for millions more in state money that would be used for 10 other building and renovation projects proposed by the three other UM System schools in Columbia, St. Louis and Rolla.

The requests are part of a long, systemwide capital improvement list that includes some projects that have been waiting on state dollars for years, said Bob Simmons, associate vice chancellor at UMKC.
Simmons said the university hopes to use this same legislation to get the state to put in half the money needed to build its proposed $88 million Downtown Campus for the Arts. UMKC already has raised half the money needed to request a state match.

For any of these proposed projects, “ultimately it is the legislature deciding what to fund.” Simmons said.

But Wayne Goode, who chairs the Board of Curators, said it has been nearly a decade since the state has allocated money toward capital improvements on any of the campuses.

“The system currently has a $1.3 billion backlog in renovation and repair,” according to a report in Friday’s curators’ meeting information.

Simmons estimates the need totals about $300 million at UMKC.

“Every building on this campus constructed before 1990 needs work, repairs and renovations,” Simmons said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/19/43 ... rylink=cpy
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

In the 10/15 Star business section, "Five years on, P&L District puts a charge in downtown revival". Did Phil Kirk hint inadvertently at the direction preferences are leaning on the location of the campus?

“We now have a shot,” he said, especially with the addition of the streetcar line, at uniting Crown Center and the Crossroads District with the new Kansas City Public Library and the River Market. The key link is the line of developments along the southern edge of downtown: the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, the Convention Center, the P&L and Sprint Center. And it’s hoped they’ll be joined on the west by the University of Missouri-Kansas City’s Conservatory of Music."
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The other thing I would point out, that I was reminded of from the Kirk article talking about P&L 25 years from now, is the early start of the Plaza. Most people don't realize that J.C. Nichols almost lost the Plaza development to the bank in its' early years. Yes, The Plaza almost went bankrupt.

It took many years, and even decades, for the Plaza to become what it is, and become an economic engine for the City.

The two things that saved Nichols were:

Instead of charging a per sq. foot rent on properties, Nichols took a percentage of the business profits as rent. He did this to fill the spaces, and bring in some revenue instead of letting the buildings sit empty.

The second thing was placing gas stations in the Plaza. I think at one time there were about nine service stations there. The income from the service stations is what really helped with revenues, and without gas stations, the Plaza development would not have survived.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC wrote:The other thing I would point out, that I was reminded of from the Kirk article talking about P&L 25 years from now, is the early start of the Plaza. Most people don't realize that J.C. Nichols almost lost the Plaza development to the bank in its' early years. Yes, The Plaza almost went bankrupt.
I wonder if he blamed his struggles on the lack of a basketball team.