UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

beautyfromashes wrote:What does UMKC even get from the state and the UM system. This should push for a full name change to Kansas City University. If they aren't going to truly partner with us, we should cut them loose.
Yep, I agree.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:What does UMKC even get from the state and the UM system. This should push for a full name change to Kansas City University. If they aren't going to truly partner with us, we should cut them loose.
Yep, I agree.
I also agree.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Greitens has now announced that he is vetoing the funding.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Called it.

https://governor.mo.gov/news/archive/go ... first-veto

"Here's the really good news: I have urged the leaders of Missouri's universities to think and act different, to prioritize, and to make tough decisions to take Missouri in a new direction. And they are taking a stand. Today, the President and the Board of Curators of the University of Missouri System announced that they don't want any additional taxpayer money to pay for a conservatory. Instead, they’ve committed to develop a detailed plan to pay for it by making tough budget decisions and using private funds along with strong leaders in the Kansas City community. That’s how it should be."
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Let's just secede from Missouri.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No shit. "Artists and dancers are wasting your tax dollars!"
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I thought they were floating the name change idea 5 or 6 years back but they nixed it due to alumni push back.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

JBmidtown wrote:Let's just secede from Missouri.
I'd be OK with donating the lower 1/3 of MO to AR.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

grovester wrote:No shit. "Artists and dancers are wasting your tax dollars!"
yeah it's bad enough that Kansas City is one of the main economic engines that provides for his/their budget let alone him using the dog whistle "artists and dancers" for his rube constituents. "I took care of them there art lovin', pansy city-slickers for you!"
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Critical_Mass wrote: I thought they were floating the name change idea 5 or 6 years back but they nixed it due to alumni push back.
So, I've seen this type of comment as it relates to several projects in the city, specifically the airport and streetcar. Just because something wasn't supported in the past doesn't mean it wouldn't get supppirt now. This is not the same city as it was 5-6 years ago, period.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

JBmidtown wrote:Let's just secede from Missouri.
Only if we can be put in Iowa, I can be okay with Nebraska. We can be like Kaliningrad in Russia, its cut off from the rest of Russia and borders Poland and Lithuania
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

How come all our governors come from St. Louis. What was the last one from this side of the state?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Seems they've given up the veto override path too?
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Just to be clear, the UM System does a lot for each of its campuses, including the new funding path being presented because the way forward through legislation is not an option any longer. Also, Kansas City University already exists.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

OMG, all of this moaning and groaning about the veto. Is it a setback? Sure is but it sounds like the UM system was already working on Plan B to get it done.
Much like the streetcar, the powers-to-be will find a way to get it done. So go ahead and cry in your beer or whatever else you drink.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

miz.jordan17 wrote:Also, Kansas City University already exists.
You mean KCUMB?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

pash wrote:
grovester wrote:Called it.

https://governor.mo.gov/news/archive/go ... first-veto

"Here's the really good news: I have urged the leaders of Missouri's universities to think and act different, to prioritize, and to make tough decisions to take Missouri in a new direction. And they are taking a stand. Today, the President and the Board of Curators of the University of Missouri System announced that they don't want any additional taxpayer money to pay for a conservatory. Instead, they’ve committed to develop a detailed plan to pay for it by making tough budget decisions and using private funds along with strong leaders in the Kansas City community. That’s how it should be."
Yeah, that was an entirely undeserved political gift from UMKC to the governor. I hope it bought them something.

I'm interested to see what this mysterious new mechanism for "matching funds" is. The university's press release implied strongly that money wouldn't come from another round of fund-raising, but otherwise gave zero insight into where they think it's going to come from.
Not to mention the legislators who apparently won't have to take a position on an override.

I can only assume some other project is going to get defunded by the curators.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

So what if we actually did try to secede. We could set our own tax rate which could be lower since we aren't paying for rural areas and god knows what. And enticed the suburbs to come over for lower taxes. Then we convince the republicans to do it because they will be able to finally consolidate their power entirely and make Missouri into missippi or whatever it is that they are trying to do. Total nuts idea I know
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »