UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by JBmidtown »

I'm scared.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

That's reasonable.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Holding it ransom for the special session? Never gonna happen after this long? Tell me!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

As best I can tell most of the bills from the regular session that passed the legislature in the last regular session have yet to be signed.

Hard to tell, the legislature doesn't have a very good website for searching past sessions
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

UM system just sent out a notification that they are developing an alternative to State funding for the downtown campus. They did not provide any details, but apparently they have a way to fund this without Greitens or the State Legislator.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

kboish wrote:UM system just sent out a notification that they are developing an alternative to State funding for the downtown campus. They did not provide any details, but apparently they have a way to fund this without Greitens or the State Legislator.
Good. Fuck Jeff City and all those backwards yokels in the legislature.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Seems like it lets Greitens off the hook, or worse, justifies his apparent non-approval.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

This is great!! The trend of bringing more young and creative folks downtown is just what the city needs. This will do nothing but increase the demand for ground floor retail, diversify the types of use in Downtown KCMO and hopefully nudge streetcar supporters to push for a line out to UMKC.

Any work on when construction is set to begin?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

grovester wrote:Seems like it lets Greitens off the hook, or worse, justifies his apparent non-approval.
I don't see how it means anything other than they know a veto is coming.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think it means they want to use their political capital on something else, not fighting to get a building and what it takes so get there. There's university budget cuts coming for certain in future budgets.

The lack of public details also tells us the current governor is fostering a system of back door deals. With the two special sessions it shows he's more interested in playing politics than past governors.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Why can't Missouri or Kansas elect progressive governors? Greitens is about as big of a buffoon as Brownback.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Why can't Missouri or Kansas elect progressive governors? Greitens is about as big of a buffoon as Brownback.
It's because we're in the Bible Belt and are surrounded by millions of resentful rural populations who vote against their own self-interest.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

WoodDraw wrote:
grovester wrote:Seems like it lets Greitens off the hook, or worse, justifies his apparent non-approval.
I don't see how it means anything other than they know a veto is coming.
They should have made him expend some political capital. I bet he crows that this is proof they didn't really need the money in the first place. Not going to be helpful in the future.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Why can't Missouri or Kansas elect progressive governors? Greitens is about as big of a buffoon as Brownback.
Greitens is no buffoon. He's a shrew opportunist who would probably pimp out his mother if he could claim a political win.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Sounds like it had quite a bit of support from the legislature (rather did not have a lot of vocal opposition), but I have to wonder how many years it will take to get another $48 million or whatever in donations?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote:Sounds like it had quite a bit of support from the legislature (rather did not have a lot of vocal opposition), but I have to wonder how many years it will take to get another $48 million or whatever in donations?
The release states that this will allow them to move forward with construction faster than if they waited for the state funding. Presumably this means they have already lined up whatever other funds they need to start construction. But its only speculation until they release detailes.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I imagine they're rob Peter to pay Paul, augmented by some additional fund rasing.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

grovester wrote:
Greitens is no buffoon. He's a shrew opportunist who would probably pimp out his mother if he could claim a political win.
He's a buffoon for abandoning altruism. He's a Neanderthal with only self-interest in mind which takes very little cleverness or ingenuity.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What does UMKC even get from the state and the UM system. This should push for a full name change to Kansas City University. If they aren't going to truly partner with us, we should cut them loose.