UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by kboish »

So I overheard a conversation of some people talking about UMKC contemplating opening a 3rd campus, possibly downtown, that would be for the arts.  I didn't catch any details or how close this is to reality or if will even happen, but they seemed to think it would be similar to the Kansas City Art Institute.

I would hope they would expand/fill-in their main campus instead of building a 3rd campus.

but again, this is just a conversation I overheard so wondered if anybody knew anything about this?
Last edited by KCMax on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: UMKC Arts School Campus

Post by Pork Chop »

kboish wrote: So I overheard a conversation of some people talking about UMKC contemplating opening a 3rd campus, possibly downtown, that would be for the arts.  I didn't catch any details or how close this is to reality or if will even happen, but they seemed to think it would be similar to the Kansas City Art Institute.

I would hope they would expand/fill-in their main campus instead of building a 3rd campus.

but again, this is just a conversation I overheard so wondered if anybody knew anything about this?
It's a part of the big five ideas and one of the locations that was suggest is the former spot for the Lyric. They thought it would be a great addtion to DT because of the PAC, CrossRoads and all the theater companies that are located in the area. I am not sure how many students, but it would be a great addtion to DT to have hundreds of arts students living and going to school.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sounds like a fantastic idea and I'm kinda surprised it took this long.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ksumb
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ksumb »

I'm not sure how many Art students there are at UMKC .. but there are 650 -700  students at the Conservatory and there are plans to add onto White Hall for the Dance, Instrumental departments... as of right now the Conservatory is in 4 different buildings on campus.

Would be great to move it all close to the PAC or even IN the PAC, but there never has been a close relationship with the two organizations.. :-({|=
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

How about the Lyric?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

That would be an excellent reuse of the lyric.  Build some sort of campus building or dormitory on the parking lot next to it?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Sounds like its more than a rumor

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/14/30 ... c-and.html
Two possible sites, the Lyric Theatre and a tract that includes a Denny?s Restaurant, have been scouted.
exciting stuff
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the lyric is the perfect location. that building must be reused. booster DST already owns it. the lot desperately needs to be redeveloped. perfect "avenue of the arts" connection. close to MAX stop for runs between campuses.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by FangKC »

This is one of the best ideas in a long time.  I fully support moving the Conservatory of Music downtown to take advantage of all the theaters in the area for performances and rehearsals.  I really hope UMKC looks at reusing the Lyric Theater for this purpose, since we have to find a purpose for it when the Lyric Opera, KC Symphony, and Ballet move to the PAC.  It's in good condition and has on-site office space where KMBC Channel 9 used to be.

A new building could be constructed on the parking lot on the east side that could contain additional classrooms, and even a dormitory on top.  Or, perhaps the Mark Twain tower could become a residential hall, or the vacant Brookfield building on the SW corner of 11th and Baltimore could also be residential housing.
There is no fifth destination.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

hope to see this go through but something of this nature involves funding and long term leases... is it there?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Hopefully the fact that DST owns the Lyric helps in getting some traction for this in the leasing area or offering a sweet heart deal.  Would still need funding for the move, renovation, and possible new construction. That seems tough right now...but who knows? 

After thinking about it, I agree.  This would be a great addition DT with students adding vibrancy, reuse of an old building, and smart placement of a school in connection with elite performing arts spaces and professionals.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

the article has a point.  perhaps umkc needs an established campus life vibe before expanding elsewhere in the city.  but if the conservatory of music doesn't consolidate on the umkc campus and someone offers up a more cost effective way to go downtown, makes sense to consider it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree that, unfortunately, they did make a good point.  I think if they are able to finances a move DT w/o taking away funds to continue building up their main campus then they should move foward...but if it means the main campus will suffer then they probably should reconsider.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the op-ed is silly.   UMKC has the dental, nursing, and medical schools off site on Hospital Hill.

The Conservatory needs more space on the UMKC campus to expand.  The problem is that there just isn't a lot of room to add new buildings and expand on the main UMKC campus.  The neighborhood around UMKC already gets upset whenever they try to expand and build, and with the associated, perceived lack of parking, and its' effect on neighborhood streets.

Whenever UMKC wants to do anything, they have to face a gauntlet of neighborhood protests and jumping through hoops to appease their neighbors.  The Conservatory would be welcomed downtown.

In addition, UMKC could probably rent office space for the 100 faculty in the old part of the Marriott Muehlebach Hotel, which has all those empty, former hotel rooms that aren't being used.  There is probably a lot of vacant space in the Mark Twain tower as well. Both are a block away from the Lyric Theater.  In addition, the Brookfield Building at 11th and Baltimore is completely vacant, and I believe it's for sale and could be purchased more cheaply than construction of a new building.

UMKC could probably use the Lyric Theater, Folly, Midland, Music Hall, the Quality Hill Playhouse, and Copaken Stage for rehearsals during the day as well, so there would be little problem scheduling multiple music and dance rehearsals.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The dean of the Conservatory of Music and Dance has an op-ed column in the KC Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/09/30 ... ampus.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The idea to move UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance downtown is moving from concept to an actual study.

A feasibility study scheduled to be completed in December or January will help set the stage for answers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?ana=e_ph
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Proximity to arts venues downtown will help UMKC Conservatory, dean says.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... -help.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Barb Shelly tweets:
UMKC has hired a team including Helix Architecture + Design for a feasibility study on a downtown KC arts campus.