New Indie Rock Themed Hotel - First Locations are NY and KC - Where would it go?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Indie Rock Themed Hotel - First Locations are NY and KC - Where would it go?

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: This is just hotel companies recognizing younger folks gravitate toward cities and are sick of the cookie-cutter built environment their parents and grandparents created. It really has nothing to do with "indie rock" or "indie" anything. It is Portland/Brooklyn/Austin/SF culture just spreading.
i almost hate myself for thinking this (and being pleased about it), but i wonder if the push to KC first demonstrates that KC is at the cusp of being recognized in the pdx/aus/bklyn axis in terms of yupster culture.  KC has any number of aspects to its local culture, but this aspect has become much more visible in the last 10 years and with all the favorable media coverage about the crossroads, bloch bldg, arts scene, kauffman, etc. maybe we're positioned that way in people's minds - or at least marketers minds.

or maybe it has nothing to do with this at all and KC may as well be fort wayne or fargo in the eyes of tastemakers...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Indie Rock Themed Hotel - First Locations are NY and KC - Where would it go?

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Do you think it's spreading to KC though?
KC has had a portland/austin-lite sort of vibe going on in midtown/downtown for at least 10-15 years.  while that culture became so widespread that it now garners parodies of itself (portlandia, a "brooklyn" store in manhattan) in those places, here it barely registers b/c this is kansas city.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

a couple of thoughts -

I read an article two weeks ago in the Sunday NYT about the Ace Hotel in Manhattan.  It has obviously been a smashing success - boutique "indie" hotel complete with bar, music, hangout spaces and even a branch of the famous Stumptown Coffee out of Portland.  Hipster paradise, all under one roof.  The article ends with the creator of the Ace concept discussing the "next" cities he is looking at, and all I could think about was how perfect KC is with the Hotel Midwest.

The first Ace hotel was in an old flophouse, and in classic hipster fashion they try hard "not to be" trendy, overly cool places.  Under the radar hip.  KC is surprisingly well positioned in this regard.  A cheap, pretty underdog city with no national reputation, being reborn with real inroads in the foodie/coffee/arts scenes, not just marketing fluff.  Lawrence right next door. 

I think we're closer than expected to the "austin-lite" vibe Chrizow mentions, and a boutique hotel like this, in the xroads specifically, would just be perfect, and super popular.
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i almost hate myself for thinking this (and being pleased about it), but i wonder if the push to KC first demonstrates that KC is at the cusp of being recognized in the pdx/aus/bklyn axis in terms of yupster culture.  KC has any number of aspects to its local culture, but this aspect has become much more visible in the last 10 years and with all the favorable media coverage about the crossroads, bloch bldg, arts scene, kauffman, etc. maybe we're positioned that way in people's minds - or at least marketers minds.

or maybe it has nothing to do with this at all and KC may as well be fort wayne or fargo in the eyes of tastemakers...
hmm. AWESOME question btw and probably worthy of its own topic.

There is a greater discussion of national tastemakers and whether it's even relevant anymore. Although it's a valid argument...I'm not even going to touch it other than say that the Internet has certainly changed a lot of things.

Here's my own anecdote...
I am friends on Yelp with a guy from PDX that travels CONSTANTLY. With the Yelp app I can see in real time where he's checking in and he's literally all over the country at any point. Portland has a huge Yelp community with tons of reviews, but he's always at places in Portland or North Portland with relatively few reviews and provides quite a bit of valuable PDX insider insight (read: Portland's next big thing). Long story short-- he comes to KC on occasion and says he LOVES it here. Now this is just anecdotal, but if you look at someone that knows Portland front and back, might be considered something of a "tastemaker" there among social media-savvy Portlandians, travels all over the country on a daily basis AND says he'd move to KC in an instant-- there's something to be said of that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote: a couple of thoughts -

I read an article two weeks ago in the Sunday NYT about the Ace Hotel in Manhattan.  It has obviously been a smashing success - boutique "indie" hotel complete with bar, music, hangout spaces and even a branch of the famous Stumptown Coffee out of Portland.  Hipster paradise, all under one roof.  The article ends with the creator of the Ace concept discussing the "next" cities he is looking at, and all I could think about was how perfect KC is with the Hotel Midwest.

The first Ace hotel was in an old flophouse, and in classic hipster fashion they try hard "not to be" trendy, overly cool places.  Under the radar hip.  KC is surprisingly well positioned in this regard.  A cheap, pretty underdog city with no national reputation, being reborn with real inroads in the foodie/coffee/arts scenes, not just marketing fluff.  Lawrence right next door. 

I think we're closer than expected to the "austin-lite" vibe Chrizow mentions, and a boutique hotel like this, in the xroads specifically, would just be perfect, and super popular.
Nice Synopsis, you might be exactly right about Hotel Midwest would be the perfect fit, maybe we should email and tell this corporation to set up shop there.  Isn't Michael Smith right next to Hotel Midwest?

Another Thing KC has a high amount of that goes unnoticed is the number of independent live theater companies like the Unicorn, The MET, etc.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

rxlexi wrote: a couple of thoughts -

I read an article two weeks ago in the Sunday NYT about the Ace Hotel in Manhattan.  It has obviously been a smashing success - boutique "indie" hotel complete with bar, music, hangout spaces and even a branch of the famous Stumptown Coffee out of Portland.  Hipster paradise, all under one roof.  The article ends with the creator of the Ace concept discussing the "next" cities he is looking at, and all I could think about was how perfect KC is with the Hotel Midwest.

The first Ace hotel was in an old flophouse, and in classic hipster fashion they try hard "not to be" trendy, overly cool places.  Under the radar hip.  KC is surprisingly well positioned in this regard.  A cheap, pretty underdog city with no national reputation, being reborn with real inroads in the foodie/coffee/arts scenes, not just marketing fluff.  Lawrence right next door.  

Hell yes!  I've been to the ACE Hotel in Manhattan, and words really can't describe just how funky and cool it really is.  The Breslin, the gastropub-like bar restaurant is incredible, a friend of mine consulted on the design of their bar and cocktail menu.  The food was great too, one of their Chefs is actually from KC and I think she worked at RM 39.  The vibe in the hotel itself is unlike any hotel I've been in before...The main room has an almost library-like look to it, with long wood community tables and green shaded desk lamps.  There's funky artwork and a huge, tattered American flag hanging on one wall.  It was very affordable (for Manhattan) and would fit in beautifully in the Crossroads.  

Again....Hotel Midwest, please?  
Last edited by KC Sporting Life on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: Here's my own anecdote...
I am friends on Yelp with a guy from PDX that travels CONSTANTLY. With the Yelp app I can see in real time where he's checking in and he's literally all over the country at any point. Portland has a huge Yelp community with tons of reviews, but he's always at places in Portland or North Portland with relatively few reviews and provides quite a bit of valuable PDX insider insight (read: Portland's next big thing). Long story short-- he comes to KC on occasion and says he LOVES it here. Now this is just anecdotal, but if you look at someone that knows Portland front and back, might be considered something of a "tastemaker" there among social media-savvy Portlandians, travels all over the country on a daily basis AND says he'd move to KC in an instant-- there's something to be said of that.
another anecdotal report along these lines is the Eat.Shop guides (a) choosing to do a KC one at all and (b) saying some really kind things about KC in the book (of course they have to, but people like this make their living being quirky-sincere, so i assume they mean it).  we keep the KC guide on the nightstand in our guest bedroom for guests to look at.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I would add that I think KC's secret weapon moving forward is that it offers a number of "hip" urban amenities and culture (I can't believe how great the theater scene here is becoming, as mentioned by brewcrew), combined with more of the relatively open, laid back "young city" vibe that permeates places like austin, portland, denver etc.  I say "more of" in relation to just about any city east of us.  

We are a midwestern city that does not bear the psychological weight of much of the midwest and inner-northeast - the "rustbelt" economy, the generations deep social circles, the legacy issues.  But, we are just old enough and just large enough to have a pretty big historic core full of cheap old homes and apts with a similar selection of underpriced urban amenities to the older bigger cities.  I think that combined "vibe" is what most impresses people like us when they visit, and is something I hope we continue to build on...
are we spinning free?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Whenever I drive down Gilham around the corner at the Costco and turn onto Armour, I look up at all the tall historic hotel apartments, i think to myself what a great, vibrant place KC must have been back in the day.  It really must have been a "Paris on the Plains".  The streetcar system was once the 3rd largest in the US.  It's really sad how the city just kind of rotted.

It was such a well planned out city back in the day, but now the city has a lot of problems and needs to clean up it's crime and schools before it can become vibrant again.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Whenever I drive down Gilham around the corner at the Costco and turn onto Armour, I look up at all the tall historic hotel apartments, i think to myself what a great, vibrant place KC must have been back in the day.  It really must have been a "Paris on the Plains".  The streetcar system was once the 3rd largest in the US.  It's really sad how the city just kind of rotted.

It was such a well planned out city back in the day, but now the city has a lot of problems and needs to clean up it's crime and schools before it can become vibrant again.
But one of the strengths of our "rot" is that we have a vast amount of cheap housing for young people for move into.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I have a friend who is an artist who is about to move back to KC from NYC.  As the internet makes it easier to get your name out, and as the KC art scene continues to grow, it is a pretty attractive place to be.  For less than half the rent of NYC and the burrows, one can get an apartment in the middle of the city AND an artist loft space, if you don't find one of the myriad of options that can be both.  Plus, it is easier to get a showing in a good location here than it is in NYC.  Add cost of living, and the only thing that really sucks is the transportation if you don't have a car, but that can be dealt with if you are cool with strange bus hours and frequency.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bobbyhawks wrote: Add cost of living, and the only thing that really sucks is the transportation if you don't have a car, but that can be dealt with if you are cool with strange bus hours and frequency.

If you used public transit, walking, and biking in NYC then Midtown KC should actually be a breeze. It's very bikable, there are two BRT lines, and there's only 50 blocks between the river and the Plaza.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

That's another reason why the Hotel Midwest would be such a great fit.  Easy MAX access
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

heatherkay wrote: That's another reason why the Hotel Midwest would be such a great fit.  Easy MAX access
the hotel midwest is poised for any number of re-uses - does anyone have any idea what the deal is with it?  who owns it, do they have any plans, etc.? 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

So Kevin Collison is checking into this.  If we don't see an article by Tuesday (when the larger Biz section comes out), there's probably no substance to this.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm kind of surprised to hear some of you dismiss this idea so fast.  KC really is gaining momentum as a hip place.  Yeah KC is still too spread out and the sidewalks in places like the X-roads are still relatively dead, but the hipster-dom and creativity of KC always blows me away when i return.  I think KC would be a perfect place for a hipster hotel or two.  If this one is built in the P+L, I think a locally owned art/loft/hipster hotel should open somewhere in the Xroads. 

PS a trader joes or Whole Foods (built in an urban fashion w/ parking on the roof) would really bring the crossroads alive.  This needs to happen!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't know if the Hotel Midwest is large enough, seeing that they mention their target hotel size is around 100 rooms.

I can think of several candidate buildings for a project like this.

In the Crossroads, there is also the Corrigan Building at 18th and Walnut, and the Abdiana/Firestone Building at 20th and Grand.

In  Midtown, the Hawthorne apartment building at 39th and Main is empty and needing renovation. It's large enough, and could be a combined hotel/apartment building. I don't know if it has space for a restaurant/club inside, but the Scientology building next door will be vacant soon, and they could make a connection to it and have that space there. I've also been thinking that the former Osco Drug at Westport and Main would make a good indie nightclub.

Downtown, I agree that the Midland Theater office tower could be converted into a boutique hotel.  I don't know what happened to the apartments planned there, since Cordish and AMC got historic tax credits to renovate the theater. I assumed they got money for the apartment conversion too.

Another potential site would be upper floors of the Hanna Rubber Company building on Baltimore and Truman Road. I don't know if it's large enough for 100 rooms, so an addition might be needed.

Other sites would be the Gate City National Bank building south of the Professional Building. Again, it might not be large enough though.

Other possible candidates would be the Traders on Grand tower, Oak Tower, Savoy Hotel, Scarritt Building, Pickwick Hotel, and the Argyle Building.
There is no fifth destination.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

trailerkid wrote:If you used public transit, walking, and biking in NYC then Midtown KC should actually be a breeze. It's very bikable, there are two BRT lines, and there's only 50 blocks between the river and the Plaza.
Sure, if you are able to walk and bike, and if the streets aren't covered in ice and snow.  It is probably unfair to compare any city to NYC's public transportation, though.  There are just different problems.  In KC, you are confined to what public transportation allows you to do.  In NYC, the problem is almost never getting where you're going, it's getting what you buy back home.

The greatest thing about KC is, if you don't have a lot of money, but a lot of desire, you can make things happen that are impossible in other cities.  Also, if you do have a lot of money and some imagination/vision, you can make unreal things happen that will stretch further than they could almost anywhere else.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

I love Portland and Austin, but I really don't want KC to become like those cities in EVERY way. I would like Portland's transit and urban infill, but I like the fact that black people live in KC and there is African American history in this town. I like the grittiness that this city has. Lets not forget that this is a midwestern city, and while it may not be as dramatically depressed as, say, Cleveland we still have a lot of baggage (both good and bad) that comes with being a city that has seen WAY better days. I like that KC has a bit of Detroit and Cleveland in it. I would hate this city to become as white washed as Portland (not that Portland doesn't have some grit)

Lets not forget that we have a strong northern midwestern identity that should not be forgotten. We were a city that was shaped by the great migrations of Blacks from the South to the North. We, in many ways, AREN'T like Denver, Portland, or Austin based on that fact alone. There are many other reasons we will never become an "it" city. This is not to say that I don't welcome certain aspects of "it" cities to creep in.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

trailerkid wrote: from a marketing standpoint...i don't think it's silly whatsoever. there really are "indie rock" hotels in other cities so turning it into a national concept is just expanding upon that.
I mean I don't think it's necessarily going to struggle, because like I said, if it's price-competitive with other hotels, people are going to stay there regardless of its theme.  Hell, I stayed in a rock and roll-themed hotel in Zurich because it was substantially cheaper than anything else in the city (and with good reason, but I digress).  People in this thread keep throwing around the word "hipster" and it does feel like the hipster market is the market they're trying to tap here and I can pretty much promise you that hipsters are going to laugh at this.  From a marketing standpoint, it's absolutely silly -- it's trying to capture an ephemeral sense of "hipness" and bottle it for mass consumption, making it by definition no longer "hip."  I don't feel like there's much of a demographic out there that will choose a hotel because it comes with a "playlist" of Kings of Leon.  I think whatever success this hotel has is going to be because it's a quality, competitively-priced hotel in a good location, not because of its gimmick.  Like ignatius, I'm glad to get a new hotel downtown regardless of its theme, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't still a stupid theme.
I love Portland and Austin, but I really don't want KC to become like those cities in EVERY way. I would like Portland's transit and urban infill, but I like the fact that black people live in KC and there is African American history in this town. I like the grittiness that this city has. Lets not forget that this is a midwestern city, and while it may not be as dramatically depressed as, say, Cleveland we still have a lot of baggage (both good and bad) that comes with being a city that has seen WAY better days. I like that KC has a bit of Detroit and Cleveland in it. I would hate this city to become as white washed as Portland (not that Portland doesn't have some grit)

Lets not forget that we have a strong northern midwestern identity that should not be forgotten. We were a city that was shaped by the great migrations of Blacks from the South to the North. We, in many ways, AREN'T like Denver, Portland, or Austin based on that fact alone. There are many other reasons we will never become an "it" city. This is not to say that I don't welcome certain aspects of "it" cities to creep in.
I don't really get the obsession with these self-consciously hipster cities.  I'd also like to have the positive effects they enjoy (like the transit and density that you mentioned, although even in Portland transit only has about a 12% share of commuters), but am I the only one that finds these cities (or, more specifically, the kinds of people they attract) really obnoxious?  Any kind of in migration is good, so I'm not saying I'd rather hipsters not move to KC, but do we really want to build KC into a specifically hipster mecca?  Hell, it doesn't even seem like the real hipsters even go to Portland or Austin anymore, it seems more like it's the aspiring hipsters (even more obnoxious than the genuine article) who place these cities on pedestals.  Maybe I get more annoyed by this kind of stuff than the rest of you since I spend a great deal of time on a college campus.