OFFICIAL - Power & Light Apartments

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL - Power & Light Apartments

Post by smh »

Any word on retail tenants yet? Hoping to get some fast casual evening spots (among other things).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

To recap, 6700 square feet of retail from a 2014 news article about groundbreaking.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I walked by 13th & Baltimore the other day and I have to say, I'm really liking how the new building is turning out when viewed from the sidewalk. This is a case where the finished product exceeds the rendering. I'm loving the small details.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

A co-worker of mine recently moved into one of the apartments, she said anytime she goes to the garage she has to wear a hard hat due to construction still going on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

builder posted pics of the new construction: https://twitter.com/NeighborsConstr/sta ... 6697754624
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

StrangerThings wrote:They're struggling to find residents, now giving away the first three months rent free.
That's not a good sign...
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

JBmidtown wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:They're struggling to find residents, now giving away the first three months rent free.
That's not a good sign...
Sure is not. We can't get new jobs downtown soon enough. I feel like 5000 jobs would take care of residential in the pipe now. Damn Cerner. Anyways, these look great and would love something similar in East Village.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

That is too bad. Wonder if the cycle is starting to trend down, figured it would happen at some point with so much supply coming online.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It might be the price point. Curious to see how the cheaper Pickwicks lease in comparison.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't freak out yet. A week ago the construction company posted a photo of the building still under construction. They are still working on it. A lot of people are hesitant to rent or move into a building that is still under construction. Sometimes it takes people awhile to figure out that the building is done.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Ran into this in the business journal. Seems pertinent.

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Hmm so it sounds less like a migration problem and more of a price point or construction problem for the PnL apartments. This is both reassuring as well as troubling. I really want those apartments to be economically viable.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

missingkc wrote:Ran into this in the business journal. Seems pertinent.

The weak performance definitely seems to be an outlier. Is this for the historic tower or the new attached apartment building to the north or both? Last time I was downtown, I walked by the building (November). The building was still under construction but that block of Baltimore was narrow and had a kind of closed in dark feel to it - very little sunlight reaches the street - not a very inviting place. Maybe it was just the time of year and the construction but I can see how that would put some people off. One Light is much more inviting from the outside.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's probably the construction.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I think it's a marketing problem. How many people do you know who even have the slightest clue that the P&L Building has gone residential, and then how few even realize that they have new attached apartments that they're renting? Compare that to how many people know about One Light, or Two Light, or any other big name project in town. EVERYONE knows about those..but I hear crickets when it comes to the P&L Building.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Is this project even completed yet? It may be just that not all of the units are leasable yet.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Last week, I visited a friend who lives there in the old building. He was one of the first to move in, coming from the Clubhouse Lofts. The apartment is fine – nice finishes, good layout, not a lot of character and certainly not remarkable – but his deck is amazing and made me want to live there, instantly. I've thought about that deck every day since. On the 16th floor, it faces south and turns to the east, looking right down on the President sign.

Also, access to the lounge and its wrap around deck is quite an amenity. I know there are different strokes for different folks, but this apartment blows the doors off of anything I've seen at 909 Walnut (except the penthouse, of course), Wallstreet Tower, One Light and its brothers, etc.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

After talking to the developer on Monday, it is my understanding that the north building just got its certificate of occupancy. So I think these questions about marketing, etc. may be slightly premature.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Turn it into condos!