OFFICIAL - Power & Light Apartments

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: P&L Building

Post by Eon Blue »

FangKC wrote:If they are using historic tax credits, which I believe they are, they will have to retain the historic art deco elements inside and outside the building.
Yes, they have to preserve the historic elements or historic appearance of both the interior and exterior.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They are going to clean the limestone though, right? Lights, new windows and clean limestone and that thing is going to look amazing!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

With changeable colored lighting on the setbacks the building will function in the skyline like the Empire State. The effect is going to make it look like the pyramid at Chichen Itza during the sound and light show. The Chiefs red will make it look like a mesoamerican pyramid, Royal blue will be cool icey and ethereal, St Patricks green the hanging gardens.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So excited about this, especially with the lighting - wish all (or realistically I wish MORE) downtown buildings had exterior lighting of some sort. Anyone remember how many stories the wraparound apartments will be? I seem to remember 7, but not sure.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

They're stepped a bit. The wrap-around apartments are 6 stories, but the sidewalk at 13th is about a floor higher than Baltimore, so the north-facing apartments will seem higher.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Vision for the garage wrapped w/ apartments at 13th and Baltimore.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:They're stepped a bit. The wrap-around apartments are 6 stories, but the sidewalk at 13th is about a floor higher than Baltimore, so the north-facing apartments will seem higher.
google street view makes it look like it's closer to two stories from 13th to the P&L alley. maybe 1.75 worth

edit: fix street name
Last edited by flyingember on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Amazing improvement that will make to the 13th Street walk.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Any kinks to plans for the PnL building? Floor plate layouts?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

kboish wrote:Vision for the garage wrapped w/ apartments at 13th and Baltimore.

Great form. Reminds me a bit of a row of late-Colonnades (no porches).

Hope the materials won't look too cheap. I really wish they could do terra cotta or stone at the top, hope it's not that fake stucco stuff.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote:Any kinks to plans for the PnL building? Floor plate layouts?
I believe the tower floor plan was in a staff report for one of the meeting but I can't remember any specifics right now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

do I see flower boxes in the image?

that's something KC needs to start pushing for. even the blank faces of parking garages in Charleston had them. really changed the feel of the street
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

There's a to-do going on right now about maintenance of planters downtown right now. Apparently many are installed without any sort of long-term plan enacted so after the first season they sit fallow unless somebody takes responsibility for them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ge_gallery
one of the images has a source calling the empty lot as "The Hole"

So I added this to Google Maps as a historic landmark under that name.

Let's see how long it lasts.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The developers are saying the lower commercial floors are available. Looks like BNIM will be looking for space. They mention restaurant. How about reviving Eddy's there or at the original 13th and Baltimore spot?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

BNIM is relocating to the TWA building in the Xroads.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 44763.html
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kboish wrote:BNIM is relocating to the TWA building in the Xroads.

I would like to nominate this for one of the star's worst headlines of the year - not an easy achievement to bag. They go out of the way to suggest in the headline that this is some sort of dire, negative event - yet another downtown tennant moving to greener pastures - when the reality is that this story is a positive from every possible angle. Whatever editor is in charge of their headlines needs to go back for a journalistic ethics refresher course. You can find intentionally misleading headlines throughout the paper every damn day. /rant
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:

I would like to nominate this for one of the star's worst headlines of the year - not an easy achievement to bag. They go out of the way to suggest in the headline that this is some sort of dire, negative event - yet another downtown tennant moving to greener pastures - when the reality is that this story is a positive from every possible angle. Whatever editor is in charge of their headlines needs to go back for a journalistic ethics refresher course. You can find intentionally misleading headlines throughout the paper every damn day. /rant
I'm glad you brought this up. I was really pissed when I read "KCP&L Building Loses Last Tennant". What a way to stir the pot with a bunch of misleading garbage. I thought they were pro-streetcar. Maybe a rogue headline writer, but someone should have caught this and re-worked it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

PumpkinStalker wrote:
LenexatoKCMO wrote:

I'm glad you brought this up. I was really pissed when I read "KCP&L Building Loses Last Tennant". What a way to stir the pot with a bunch of misleading garbage. I thought they were pro-streetcar. Maybe a rogue headline writer, but someone should have caught this and re-worked it.
Ditto, felt exactly the same this morning.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I as well. Factually accurate, completely misleading.