The Club at the Marriott is Closing

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

The Club at the Marriott is Closing

Post by KC Kropf »

The Club @ The Marriott Hotel Is Closing

It is with much regret that we must inform you of the closing of The Club at the Marriott Hotel. June 30, 2010 will be our last day of business.

We apologize for any inconvenience this shut-down may cause you and wish you all the best in the future.

Sincerely,
Mike and Rose Castelluccio

Does anyone know what the deal is here?  I worked out at the Club for about 2 years, but have not been a member for probably over 3 years now.  Couple of my thoughts.... Very well could have been hurting for business and they are simply closing.. Maybe the Marriott plans to use their top floor for better revenue creating opportunities, is there Finally going to be a gym built out above The Market (and they are getting out now due to future competition)?? 

One thing is for sure, I do and will miss running on treadmills overlooking the city from the 21st floor of that building. 
On to the Next One
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: The Club at the Marriott is Closing

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i don't even know what this is. what club?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

gym. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i don't even know what this is. what club?
The Marriott had a fitness club that was open to the public.

Not to pick on Kropf, but it's kinda funny to see people lamenting the demise of something they haven't patronized in over 3 years....
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Look at the Downtown Marriott and all those windows on the top floor (22nd or 21st floor) are a full service gym/fitness facility with locker rooms, laundry service, lap pool, free weights, tanning etc.  It's a pretty sweet set up, treadmills line the windows looking South with some great views.  They opened to all Marriott guest and then also only charged $39.99 per month for membership.  Was a great gym when I lived in Clubhouse Loft and also 909 Walnut.  

http://theclubmarriott.com/
On to the Next One
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

dangerboy wrote: Not to pick on Kropf, but it's kinda funny to see people lamenting the demise of something they haven't patronized in over 3 years....
Ha ah ha.. Yes, I agree, I have no right really to complain... I just found a better alternative for myself, mostly when I moved from DT to Plaza this location was no longer good for me...  Now owning in DT, I put some time and effort into our HAO to build out our on property gym.. 

Still sad to see DT businesses close regardless.
On to the Next One
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I didn't know about this either.  Sounds cool.  Was it owned by the Marriott?  Or was it operated independently?  The message sounds kinda personal, not coming from a large corporation like the Marriott hotel chain. 
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

KC Sporting Life wrote: I didn't know about this either.  Sounds cool.  Was it owned by the Marriott?  Or was it operated independently?  The message sounds kinda personal, not coming from a large corporation like the Marriott hotel chain. 
It was operated independently, by the same people who operate Eagle Fitness in Liberty (which I have never been, but the closing email mentions it).  There was some sort of arrangement with the Marriott to use the space of course and also that Marriott guest were allowed to use the facility.  I wonder if Marriott will just keep this as their hotel gym?!?
On to the Next One
woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

I wonder if Marriott may reconfigure the space for a bar/restaurant.  Top floor bars are a big deal again.  A bunch have opened in Chicago over the past 3-5 years and they are wildly poplular.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Interesting idea.  They would probably at least consider its financial feasability.  It's kinda cool to have a gym with that kind of view, but the revenue it generates probably wouldn't be much more than if it were just a quality facility on the 1st floor.  A top floor bar with a Southern view of Downtown would be great.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

Def sad news. I  have been a member for over a year now. I do like it alot.  I travel  a TON and got to lots of hotel gyms and it is pretty sub par in terms of cleaninless / equipment.  The views are killer and the lap pool is huge, on balance too bad its closing.

My guess is the demise of the "Club" is based on lack of business / expiration of their  lease arragment with the hotel.

I believe Marriott will immediately takes it over.  They will have to have some sort of fitness faculty, although the idea of turning it into a bar and relocating the gym is interesting.  That would be a good move lord knows the Marriott needs something new and update in the hotel, the whole hotel is pretty sad looking.
tacorn
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tacorn »

Gym will be reopening in or around September after some much needed renovations. Old members will be allowed to rejoin, not sure if they will accept new members.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Does anyone on the forum belong to "The Club at Marriott" or whatever they are calling this place now? I've considered joining TheGymKC, which is very affordable and reasonable at $40/month with no contract, but the Marriott offers no contract at $30/month. The major difference is the lap pool, and the Marriott claims to clean your gym clothes and provide towels for free. Worst case scenario, I could try out both for short runs.

TheGymKC offers a lot of great free classes, but I have never really belonged to a gym and am not sure how often I would go to classes. Thoughts? Am I missing anything else in the downtown area that I should consider?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I belong to TheGYMkc and love it, fwiw
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bobbyhawks wrote:Does anyone on the forum belong to "The Club at Marriott" or whatever they are calling this place now? I've considered joining TheGymKC, which is very affordable and reasonable at $40/month with no contract, but the Marriott offers no contract at $30/month. The major difference is the lap pool, and the Marriott claims to clean your gym clothes and provide towels for free. Worst case scenario, I could try out both for short runs.

TheGymKC offers a lot of great free classes, but I have never really belonged to a gym and am not sure how often I would go to classes. Thoughts? Am I missing anything else in the downtown area that I should consider?
Is there a Club at the Marriott website with the rates? A brief google didn't turn it up.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Does anyone on the forum belong to "The Club at Marriott" or whatever they are calling this place now? I've considered joining TheGymKC, which is very affordable and reasonable at $40/month with no contract, but the Marriott offers no contract at $30/month. The major difference is the lap pool, and the Marriott claims to clean your gym clothes and provide towels for free. Worst case scenario, I could try out both for short runs.

Is there a Club at the Marriott website with the rates? A brief google didn't turn it up.
Good point. I'm probably looking at old information. I will stop by in the next few days to check it out.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

OK. Definitely outdated info from before. $43/month and three month commitments are required. There is no hot tub, sauna, or steam room with the pool. Towel service for free, though clothes cleaning is an extra $15/month.

I think I'd rather join TheGymKC and swim at the Aguirre Center.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Bobbyhawks, you're my new favorite person. I just moved one block from the Aguirre Center and had no idea that they have a pool. The husband has been looking for a place to swim laps.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ColumbusParkian wrote:Bobbyhawks, you're my new favorite person. I just moved one block from the Aguirre Center and had no idea that they have a pool. The husband has been looking for a place to swim laps.
Glad I could be of assistance! The hours aren't great, but it is a pool, and you can commit to as low as $4/day (I'm also a few blocks away, so that is nice). It would be pretty amazing, though, if TheGymKC or someone else downtown built a better lap pool with the other things you would expect from a health/fitness center.