Panhandling Out of Control?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Panhandling Out of Control?

Post by Downtowner »

I was downtown yesterday and in a 4 block walk, had 5 guys ask for money...some saw me across the street, yelled, and followed me.
One guy was at the window of two young girls as they tried to parallel park, trying to get them to roll down their window. Other cities have laws against aggressive panhandling. Anyone know what KCMO is doing?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Panhandling Out of Control?

Post by kcmetro »

I can't stand panhandlers that harass people who won't give them change.  Is there a lower point in life than that?  Screaming at random people who refuse to aide you with your alcohol/drug addiction?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think you saw the exception not the rule.  The dcid does a great job monitoring this and I'm downtown 95% of the day and I have been asked 5 times in 5 months.  Where were you and what time?

I will say there is one couple...tall skinny guy, short bigger girl who roam around together asking for cash...and they are quite rude.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Interesting. I was Downtown yesterday around lunch time and didn't encounter a single panhandler.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

around 3 pm, baltimore, main, walnut, 11th to 13th
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's shocking.  Well my opinion is the dcid does a great job and not sure any 'laws' would change any of it.

KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

KCPowercat wrote: I will say there is one couple...tall skinny guy, short bigger girl who roam around together asking for cash...and they are quite rude.
Pretty sure I have seen these 2 multiple times... They ask to help feed their family, they are the most persistent and annoying I have come across "I don't have any cash on me" resulted in them asking if I could go to an ATM, since clearly they should be my top priority... then I said sorry, it's a "Credit Card".... to which they asked if I would buy them food at Ted's.  Give me a break.

The summer time and warm weather bring these people back out, you hardly see them in the winter.  I'd say I do see more than I'd like, and I have actually started asking THEM for money before they can ask me.  They are typically stunned, don't know what to say and walk off.  One guy said "Damn, you know my game and beat me to it" and walked off.

I think I see more than most being in the 16th and Walnut area, just outside of the improvement district.  

We've got some regulars too... The "I'm just gonna be straight with you, I need a drink" guy is quite frequent and kinda funny, I see him about once a week...

"I work down the street at a software company, and just need to get to St. Louis"

"I ain't no bum" guy is hilarious, but up in your face and somewhat scary.  

One BIG dude was waiting for me to get out of my car one night with his arms hung over our parking gate.. that was a lil freaky as well.  

People are constantly bothering the guest at JP's Wine Bar on the patio, and that has to be frustrating all around.  

Bottom line is most go away with a simple no and "God Bless, Good Luck" and I am okay with it as it's somewhat expected (unfortunately) when living in an urban environment.  What is not as cool, is that I do worry about girlfriends and guest who come over and have to deal with it when they are not used to this kind of behavior.  
On to the Next One
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'd really like to know - Is the "Can I get a down payment on a cheeseburger" guy who used to hang out outside of McDonald's on the Plaza now asking for a downpayment on a noodle bowl?  It just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.....
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ I want to kick that guy in the balls!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I typically only see them at exits on the N side of the loop.  They are getting more aggressive though.  Was at Crown Center Panera a while back and a panhandler was inside, asking people for change in line.  Guy I work with actually gave him $5.  You could probably imagine how I reacted.

To those trying to score Jesus points... Giving directly to panhandlers only makes the problem worse.  If you want to help, give to a shelter and direct them there.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

jdubwaldo wrote: I'd really like to know - Is the "Can I get a down payment on a cheeseburger" guy who used to hang out outside of McDonald's on the Plaza now asking for a downpayment on a noodle bowl?  It just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.....
That's Cheeseburger Jerry.  For the last few years he's been working on 47th between Scooters and Barnes & Noble, not McDonalds.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

dangerboy wrote: That's Cheeseburger Jerry.  For the last few years he's been working on 47th between Scooters and Barnes & Noble, not McDonalds.
I do think it's funny/ironic that we can complain about this topic and people on one had, but make a complete KC Legend out of another..... 

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE in KC has been asked for a down payment for a cheeseburger... 
On to the Next One
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KC Kropf wrote:
Everyone, I mean EVERYONE in KC has been asked for a down payment for a cheeseburger...  
AND everyone in San Francisco's Chinatown, AND everyone near Haight-Ashbury. Jerry The Bum really gets around. I asked him how he liked SF a few years ago when I saw him in Chinatown (and years later on Haight) and his response was "I love it here sooooo much... I'm allllllways high!"
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I saw Jerry several years ago in Denver.  Walked into the B&N to go to bathroom and there he was at the water fountain wearing a Chiefs jacket. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i run a bar downtown and what is the WORST is when somebody is trying to earn Jesus points and BRINGS A BUM IN!!!!! This has happened only a couple of times, but they'll sit him down at a table and give the waitress $10 and say "bring him a meal". Great, now he's a paying customer so he has SOME legitimacy, but is still harassing other patrons to buy him a beer or give him money. Puts me and my staff in quite the position. I also have to constantly shake them off my patio.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

The panhandling at the corners of 5th and 6th & Broadway has been virtually non-existent in the past several months.  The DCID seems to have been able to address that.
jstuts2260
Surface Lot

Post by jstuts2260 »

I live and work downtown and can't go a single day without have at the very least 1 person asking.  Most days it's 2-3.  I'm at 17th & Main and 10th & Main.  I completely agree, it's getting out of control.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

They have tried everything in San Francisco, but nothing seems to work.  The biggest complaint from tourists is aggressive panhandling.  They are now trying to pass a 'sit lie' law to prevent sitting/lying on sidewalks.  This is a problem in the Haight.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think those who says it's out of control need to visit some other city's urban areas...we have it the best of any other city I have visited. 

I do think the dcid has driven them to the fringes of their patrol areas.....so seeing a lot in the crossroads.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I think it's been 3 months since I've had someone ask for money. Maybe I don't go through the hotspots or something.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.