Should Rockfest be banned from Penn Valley Park?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Should Rockfest be banned from Penn Valley Park?

Post by shinatoo »

KC-wildcat wrote: Haha.  Give me a break.  Would you be upset if an anti-war protest took place here? 

Freedom of speech brosef. 
No. I think it would be a perfect spot for a anti war protest.

The Liberty Memorial foundation sanctioned it. If they had not they would not have been able to organize in such a way to pull off the even.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech. If you had said Freedom of Assembly I might have rolled with ya, brosef. But you fail.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have no problem with them using the park--even if the grass gets destroyed. It rained after all.  As long as it's fixed.

The memorial mall in Washington gets trashed all the time during public events, and they fix it.

Just because the war memorial is in the park doesn't mean the park shouldn't be used.  It's not a cemetery. I mean how big a diameter around war memorials are sanctified?  There are war memorials in parts of very busy urban centers where people are walking around going on with their daily life--boom boxes playing, rollerblading, etc.

Many parks in this city are under-utilized as it is.  Penn Valley is among them. We have to use Penn Valley for something. Otherwise, it's just a big place we pay to mow.  It's not really a pedestrian neighborhood space like Loose Park.

Penn Valley Park could be a city jewel. The whole premise should be re-evaluated. Zoning should be changed to encourage residential apartment towers surrounding the east, west, and south sides--and along 27th and 31st streets. Southwest Trafficway needs to be redone to make it a parkway with crossings from the west side--not a speedway.  

Broadway through the park should be changed as well to slow traffic down and have a tree-lined two-lane, narrow boulevard. The lake should be redone to allow people to actually walk around it. The park needs to be replanted with more flowers, shrubs, and ornamental trees.  There should be more walking trails, pavilions, picnic tables, statues and public art. Perhaps a long reflection pool could be added south of the Liberty Memorial, and a big roundabout at the Memorial gates with a fountain.
There is no fifth destination.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: I have no problem with them using the park--even if the grass gets destroyed. It rained after all.  As long as it's fixed.

The memorial mall in Washington gets trashed all the time during public events, and they fix it.

Just because the war memorial is in the park doesn't mean the park shouldn't be used.  It's not a cemetery. I mean how big a diameter around war memorials are sanctified?  There are war memorials in parts of very busy urban centers where people are walking around going on with their daily life--boom boxes playing, rollerblading, etc.

Many parks in this city are under-utilized as it is.  Penn Valley is among them. We have to use Penn Valley for something. Otherwise, it's just a big place we pay to mow.  It's not really a pedestrian neighborhood space like Loose Park.

Penn Valley Park could be a city jewel. The whole premise should be re-evaluated. Zoning should be changed to encourage residential apartment towers surrounding the east, west, and south sides--and along 27th and 31st streets. Southwest Trafficway needs to be redone to make it a parkway with crossings from the west side--not a speedway. 

Broadway through the park should be changed as well to slow traffic down and have a tree-lined two-lane, narrow boulevard. The lake should be redone to allow people to actually walk around it. The park needs to be replanted with more flowers, shrubs, and ornamental trees.  There should be more walking trails, pavilions, picnic tables, statues and public art. Perhaps a long reflection pool could be added south of the Liberty Memorial, and a big roundabout at the Memorial gates with a fountain.
Don't forget a gondola!
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

shinatoo wrote: No. I think it would be a perfect spot for a anti war protest.

The Liberty Memorial foundation sanctioned it. If they had not they would not have been able to organize in such a way to pull off the even.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech. If you had said Freedom of Assembly I might have rolled with ya, brosef. But you fail.
Nah, Freedom of speech, dumbass. 

i.e., it is unconstitutional to issue content-based permits.  Or, in other words, decisions to issue permits must be content-neutral. 

But, whatever, I'm not gonna give you a lesson in constitutional law. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC wrote: I have no problem with them using the park--even if the grass gets destroyed. It rained after all.  As long as it's fixed.

Just because the war memorial is in the park doesn't mean the park shouldn't be used.  It's not a cemetery. I mean how big a diameter around war memorials are sanctified?  There are war memorials in parts of very busy urban centers where people are walking around going on with their daily life--boom boxes playing, rollerblading, etc.

Many parks in this city are under-utilized as it is.  Penn Valley is among them. We have to use Penn Valley for something. Otherwise, it's just a big place we pay to mow.  It's not really a pedestrian neighborhood space like Loose Park.

Broadway through the park should be changed as well to slow traffic down and have a tree-lined two-lane, narrow boulevard. The lake should be redone to allow people to actually walk around it. The park needs to be replanted with more flowers, shrubs, and ornamental trees.  There should be more walking trails, pavilions, picnic tables, statues and public art. Perhaps a long reflection pool could be added south of the Liberty Memorial, and a big roundabout at the Memorial gates with a fountain.
This. I don't see what the big deal is. They are going to repair it. We should be happy to have an event that attracts so many people downtown.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Parks are suppose to be used, not just something one just sits back and admires.  As long as the park is restored what is the big deal?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=15969#more-15969
Former parks commissioner Bob Lewellen  probably said it best?

?Aggie sometimes talks very forcefully before maybe she analyzes the situation and maybe at a later time she?ll come around with reason,? Lewellen told KCC yesterday. ?But if you catch her early, she sometimes will say things that maybe she wouldn?t if she thought about it.?
:lol:
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Parks are suppose to be used, not just something one just sits back and admires.  As long as the park is restored what is the big deal?
The same goes for grass. Anywhere. It's meant to be walked on not looked at and admired.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Funk says Rockfest should stay at Penn Valley Park

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/22357
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Spoke earlier with an AEG contact.  The repairs will exceed $200,000. 

Whoa......
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Man, the price of grass just keeps going up.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if the cost of repairs will put an end to Rockfest there?  Anyone have any idea how much they made from it?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

50k * 25 - costs
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

grovester wrote: 50k * 25 - costs
50K * 25 - costs + merchandise and concession revenue
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Just in tickets they made almost 2 million dollars. 55,000 tix sold x $35 cost of ticket.

I talked to a friend of mine today who had a friend from PA playing bass in the band that went on before Godsmack. His friend told him that the band got 45k and his cut was 8k of that. They played for a half an hour. Sweet gig if you can get it.

His friend also just got on with B.C. Rich and they rush shipped him a $4,000 bass for him to play at Rockfest that he played for just one song because of all the mud balls that were flying his way.

I didn't know that B.C. Rich even made guitars like that. Must of been gold plated and covered in diamonds.

Everybody seems to have made out like a bandit. A win, win, win for everyone.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: Nah, Freedom of speech, dumbass. 

i.e., it is unconstitutional to issue content-based permits.  Or, in other words, decisions to issue permits must be content-neutral. 

But, whatever, I'm not gonna give you a lesson in constitutional law. 
Doesn't sound like Stackhouse's beef is with the content.  If such a change were to be made by the park board, I suspect it would simply be to cease permits all together for events of this type/scale.  bye-bye first ammendment issue. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pride parade cancelled as a result of Rockfest

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/28/19 ... celed.html
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

FangKC wrote: Pride parade cancelled as a result of Rockfest

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/28/19 ... celed.html
I read a letter in the Star I think, that said the losing the parade was not a big deal as it wasn't a lock to have one every year anyway. besides the writer said that they didn't have one last year, so not having one this year is not a problem.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, they haven't had one in several years. I remember the last one I saw was down Broadway in Midtown, and it wasn't that impressive. I think that's why they stopped doing them.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Donna Boley and Aggie Stackhouse need to stick it.  Rockfest is good for this city.

Too bad about the parade.