Should Rockfest be banned from Penn Valley Park?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Should Rockfest be banned from Penn Valley Park?

Post by FangKC »

Article discussing the damage to Penn Valley Park after Rockfest. Should the concert be banned from the park? Discuss.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/17/19 ... ngers.html
There is no fifth destination.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Should Rockfest be banned from Penn Valley Park?

Post by Sportster »

Absolutely not.
Nice interview with someone in charge at the Liberty Memorial WW I Museum who put it in to perspective. "It's grass, it'll grow back".

Park renters pay some pretty hefty fees to Parks & Rec to secure the park and sign a contract and a liability clause that pretty much spells out who's responsible for what. The daily rag went fishing and found exactly what they wanted - a fuming city official in Aggie Stackhaus so it gets advanced by the major daily. Besides - Aggie fumes and spits nails pretty well so it plays well in the press.

Its one day, the damage will be fixed, life goes on.

Sportster
...much ado about nothing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my initial reaction was to kick that thing out but as I got more info as to the fees paid and the fact that they repair all the damages, I'm fine with the concert as long as AEG truly does repair the park to pre-concert conditions.

brings a lot of people downtown, evrn though they are far from respectful to the hood.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

It's not right for Stackhaus to bitch after they get the check.  There has been damage before, maybe not this bad, but this should not have been unexpected.  There has never been any damage to the Memorial or the statues in the area.  AEG has fixed the damage evrey year and in a week or so, it will be like it never happened.  The park board should worry more about their reduced cutting schedule then this once a year event.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

While I agree that it is easy enough to look past the damage if it is repaired quickly and adequately, but where is the question of appropriateness regarding holding a beer-fueled thrash fest on the doorstep of a war monument?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this same thing has happened before - rain + 40,000 people causes some serious damage to the grass.  the promoters pay to re-sod the grounds, and all is well. 
staubio wrote: where is the question of appropriateness regarding holding a beer-fueled thrash fest on the doorstep of a war monument?
it's a public space.  the memorial sits in a giant public park.  i dont think it's disrespectful or inappropriate to have concerts (or political rallies or Pride events or whatever) in that space.  if someone vandalized the memorial, then the act of vandalism would be disrepectful and inappropriate, but i don't think that the presence of the war memorial requires every event to be a solemn, reverent affair. 

the real affront to decency on saturday originated from the concert-goers unfortunate penchant for jorts and back-fat enhancing garments...
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Fuck rock.  I miss ReggaeFest... bring it back to Penn Valley.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I might reconsider the dates, try to get more time between rockfest and the memorial day concert.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

grovester wrote: I might reconsider the dates, try to get more time between rockfest and the memorial day concert.
I'd tend to agree, except moving it to an early date just increases the chances it gets rained on.

Does it have to be right at the doorstep of Liberty Memorial?  It's a big park and there are other spots it could go.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Move them to the Berkely Riverfront soon as the new interchange is complete.  Part of the problem with wet weather and Pen Valey is the hilly, nee rugged topography.  Restoring lawn on such torn compacted eroded soil is much more than scattering some grass seed.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I don't have a problem with it in Penn Valley Park. I do have a problem with it being ont he Liberty Memorial grounds. These types of events degenerates the sanctity of the memorial. You wouldn't have this type of event at the Lincoln or Washington Memorials, Gettysburg or at the Vietnam Memorial. It is a memorial to the young men a women that died defending our freedom, back in a time when they actually did go defend our freedom.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

It's no longer in front of Liberty Memorial... it's to the SW by the dog park.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

as others have said: much ado about nothing.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Move em to Berkeley Riverfront Park?
I'm likin that idea. The concentration of residential units is at least 1/2 to 3/4 mile away, could allow for fireworks at the end of show, shto from across the river too. Added bonus - be able to sit in Resirvior Park or on the terrace west of the museum and hear the bands without the inconvenience of the mosh pit (literal interpretation) in our front yard.

Sportster
...always thinking!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

shinatoo wrote: I don't have a problem with it in Penn Valley Park. I do have a problem with it being ont he Liberty Memorial grounds. These types of events degenerates the sanctity of the memorial. You wouldn't have this type of event at the Lincoln or Washington Memorials, Gettysburg or at the Vietnam Memorial. It is a memorial to the young men a women that died defending our freedom, back in a time when they actually did go defend our freedom.
Haha.  Give me a break.  Would you be upset if an anti-war protest took place here? 

Freedom of speech brosef. 
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

We want Jobs!

Rock On for NFL!

Note about photos:

This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. The description on its description page there is shown below.
Commons is a freely licensed media file repository. You can help.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

shinatoo wrote: I don't have a problem with it in Penn Valley Park. I do have a problem with it being ont he Liberty Memorial grounds. These types of events degenerates the sanctity of the memorial. You wouldn't have this type of event at the Lincoln or Washington Memorials, Gettysburg or at the Vietnam Memorial. It is a memorial to the young men a women that died defending our freedom, back in a time when they actually did go defend our freedom.
The stage is on the grounds between the memorial and Main St - is that part of the actual grounds or just PVP?  Why there wasn't more of an outcry back when the Spirit Fest constructed a stage on the steps of the memorial?  Or when the Jazz/Blues Festival was held on the north lawn?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

those attendants don't trash the grass and park illegally all over and general disrespect the surrounding neighbors....just a guess as to why.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My only major problem Saturday was the huge horde of people who are apparently convinced that the only highway exits in existence are onto Broadway. That created a huge traffic clusterfuck as morons came to a complete stop in the far right lanes of I-35 and tried to merge over to get off on Broadway, when 20th Street is right there (and SW Trfwy further down, and Cambridge, and Rainbow, and on and on). It would have been comical, watching their ballcapped heads whip around in confusion as frustrated drivers honked at their Chevy Cavaliers, if it wasn't so damn infuriating. I would implore 98.9 to put a map illustrating the many and varied possible routes to PVP on their website.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

or God forbid some of them don't drink and drive and take the MAX.  I'm quite sure 98.9 doesn't advertise THAT.