OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

don't know if today's article was posted anywhere else. But here it is. It has a bunch of people pointing out the same things many of us critics are pointing out also (isolation, waste of a prime location, average-at-best architecture, absolutely no contribution to the public realm). I think Serda's final quote sums up the reason why many of us are pissed.

KC Fed Bank unveils design for headquarters

Some observers criticize the new look

By KEVIN COLLISON

The Kansas City Star

The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City unveiled the design of its new headquarters Monday, a 14-story limestone-clad tower bordering the south edge of Penn Valley Park.

Federal Reserve officials acknowledged that the design, which includes a two-story conference and visitor center, was shaped more by a need for functionality and security than by an overt desire to make an architectural statement.

“We don't want a tribute to ourselves,â€
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

What a shame...this design is horrible. I thought the architect would take into consideration how close it would be to a great memorial. It needed to compliment the Liberty Memorial. Instead, he designs a suburban box. If this firm has a website, everyone should voice their opinion in an email.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd say the limestone is because of the lib. memorial.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm glad to see that there are some other informed people that think the design bites. I especially agree with the point about hiring Pei-Cobb to design such a building. What was the point? Devin could have done a better job with his home design software.

If you are going to design a fortress, make it look like a fortress. Have turrets on the corners, embattlements, buttresses, gatehouses, parapets, stockades, pinnacles, and hillforts.

http://www.castlesontheweb.com/photoarc ... sessionid=

Last edited by FangKC on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

If you want to let Pei Cobb Freed & Partners know your opinion of the Federal Reserve Building send an email to:

pcf@pcf-p.com

put "attn: Henry N. Cobb" in the subject line (not that he'd ever see it)

KCDowntown
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Geez, calm down people. You're judging the design based on one 3"x2" computer rendering.
Now I'm not saying it's wonderful, but it's not bad either. No speculative office building in the burbs would look this good. Firstly, they're using an expensive material, Limestone, to clad the building. This should look nice and age really well, as evident at Liberty Memorial & Union Station. Secondly, the design appears to have some play w/ pulling the surfaces of the building in and out, something you'd never see in the burbs, because it's not the cheapest way to do things. If you want to see a suburban tower, look at that newest one they built next door at crown center. That's closer to the office towers of Corporate Park. In the burbs they just take a floor plate, stack several on top of each other, and wrap it in curtain wall. There is no design, the only interest comes from whatever glass curtain wall was selected from the catalogue.
And Fang, I hope that last post was a joke. You don't seriously expect them to design a 14th century gothic fortress that you'd see in France. Seriously, do you know how much that would cost? You'd be hard pressed to find the labour skilled enough to construct that. There's a reason buildings aren't built like they used to be, right up to the 1940s. The cost is astronomical, and since no one does it anymore, no labour is trained in those earlier construction methods.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Critical_Mass wrote:Geez, calm down people. You're judging the design based on one 3"x2" computer rendering.
Now I'm not saying it's wonderful, but it's not bad either. No speculative office building in the burbs would look this good. Firstly, they're using an expensive material, Limestone, to clad the building. This should look nice and age really well, as evident at Liberty Memorial & Union Station. Secondly, the design appears to have some play w/ pulling the surfaces of the building in and out, something you'd never see in the burbs, because it's not the cheapest way to do things. If you want to see a suburban tower, look at that newest one they built next door at crown center. That's closer to the office towers of Corporate Park. In the burbs they just take a floor plate, stack several on top of each other, and wrap it in curtain wall. There is no design, the only interest comes from whatever glass curtain wall was selected from the catalogue.
And Fang, I hope that last post was a joke. You don't seriously expect them to design a 14th century gothic fortress that you'd see in France. Seriously, do you know how much that would cost? You'd be hard pressed to find the labour skilled enough to construct that. There's a reason buildings aren't built like they used to be, right up to the 1940s. The cost is astronomical, and since no one does it anymore, no labour is trained in those earlier construction methods.
I'm as harsh a critic as anybody on KC, and I agree with Critmass as I mentioned before.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Critical_Mass wrote:And Fang, I hope that last post was a joke. You don't seriously expect them to design a 14th century gothic fortress that you'd see in France.
Of course I was joking. I was trying to be ironic. :roll: I just thought we needed to cleanse our palates with some funky old castles.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

scooterj wrote:. . . seeing life only when mediocre hospital dramedies need to be filmed?
What was filmed there besides Article 99?
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

If anyone has the rendering they presented, please post it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

OK, I drove all over Downtown during lunch and imagined this building in place. It WILL be a very dramatic addition to the overall downtown/crown center skyline while you would barely notice it over by City Hall. Just a thought.
MidtownCat wrote:If anyone has the rendering they presented, please post it.
Image[img]
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

At least it's not as ugly as the Clinton Presidential Library.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC0KEK wrote:At least it's not as ugly as the Clinton Presidential Library.
I actually like the design of Clinton's library.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I doubt if this triggers any changes in the design, but who knows...
From the KC Star editorials:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 207996.htm

Rethink Fed building

Judging by the architectural drawing made public this week, the plan for the new Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City is living down to expectations.

The project's suburban-style setting was foreshadowed last year, when the Fed announced plans to leave its location inside the downtown freeway loop for a new site near Penn Valley Park. The outsized plot — nearly 16 acres — combined with the increased demand for security after Sept. 11, 2001, strongly signaled another development disconnected from its surroundings.

That's exactly what the Fed plans to build. Dave Scott of the Urban Society, a group that promotes suitable urban design in Kansas City, says the project will stand “aloof from all that surrounds it.â€
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

It would be great if the Star or KCPT or even The Pitch would get Thomas Hoenig, Henry Cobb, Dave Scott, Raymond Braswell, Reeves Wiedeman and Daniel Serda together in a room to discuss this design. The comments that a roundtable setting provokes are much more insightful and interesting than a newspaper article that's based on individual interviews. Better yet, do it with an audience so that there's an opportunity for Q&A.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^exactly. I think the public buildings, built with public dollars should represent everything we as a people strive for. Back in the day when you saw all those public institutions with greek motifes and columns there was a reason for that. The U.S believed in the ideals of a DEMOCRACY similar to the one thought to have existed in ancient greek cities like Athens. They saw themselves as something new in the world, our country was to be like a beacon for the world showing off liberty, happiness, etc. Since the greeks motifs represented that for them, they used it in their public buildings. In the same way we have to find ways in which our public buildings continue to express our democratic values and serve as reminders to the public of what we strive for as citizens. This building isn't bad, but it's not great either, it's average, and sorry, that is not the kind of architectural legacy we as a country should be striving for in our public institutions. (even though it might actually be doing exactly what i'm saying in its own unremarkable way. It shows a country that has lost its optimism and sense of purpose and faith in public institutions.)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Very well put Comandante.

I'm glad The Star did an editorial so quickly after the release of the rendering. Let the mocking begin!

Personally, I think that American Century should trade its two towers on Main to the Fed for use as their bank, and take the Penn Valley site in trade. Then Am. Century would put up a signature tower or a couple of them. Am. Century has the money to pay for good architecture. 8)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

great new skyline panorama

Post by moderne »

Now that the west side of St. Mary's is coming down, a new view from the highest hill around is opening up. If you drive north on Baltimore from 31st you can see it. When the old hospital is completely raised there will be a wide panorama centered on the Liberty Memorial and including Crown Center. With the Fed tower going in on the northeast section of the plot, maybe at least the view of the memorial will be unobstructed
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

great new skyline panorama

Post by moderne »

Now that the west side of St. Mary's is coming down, a new view from the highest hill around is opening up. If you drive north on Baltimore from 31st you can see it. When the old hospital is completely raised there will be a wide panorama centered on the Liberty Memorial and including Crown Center. With the Fed tower going in on the northeast section of the plot, maybe at least the view of the memorial will be unobstructed
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

quote from Collison's article today:
The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis also built its new headquarters on the nearby riverfront. Martin said the Fed's plan was held up for six months until changes were made to make it more compatible with its environment, including creating a park-like space with art and pedestrian access, and limiting the height to that of nearby historic warehouses.
hmmm......