Channel 5 hack job on xroads crime

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Channel 5 hack job on xroads crime

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

So I come home from work yesterday and find a letter under my door from a fellow tennant.  This dude had about a 2000 word rant about how his car had been broken into four times over the last year and his plates had been stolen, yadda, yadda.  How he was afraid his GF was going to get assualted in the freighthouse district; we were all going to be mugged, etc. etc.  He was trying to get all of the residents to band together in some sort of revolt against the landlord to hold them responsible for this dude's failure to comprehend the golden rule of DT living - don't leave your shit in your car. 

Well anyway I come home from dinner and see the TV5 news van parked out in front of the building and knew instantly what the game probably was - sure enough, turn on the 10PM news and the lead god-damn story is about how dangerous our parking lot is and how you are sure to get your shit stolen if you park a car in the crossroads.  Its nice to know that one irresponsible resident can make a single phone call to the local tv news hacks and get a lead story smearing a whole neighborhood just to serve his own vendetta. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Channel 5 hack job on xroads crime

Post by chrizow »

let's take a dump on his doorstep.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

what a whiny bitch. i hope they stole every single DMB disc he left on his pathfinder's front seat.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The best part was that Channel 5 thought this was a better story to lead with than some tripple shooting gunbattle in KCK.  This dudes Dave CDs getting jacked is CLEARLY much more newsworthy than some massive shootout. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

really though, i think anyone who is actually persuaded by this "story" is so clueless that it doesn't matter at all.  they probably don't know where/what the "crossroads" or "freighthouse" area is.  another story about how cars are broken into in "downtown" probably doesn't amount to very much - particularly when you assume that anyone who takes KCTV-5 seriously is, ipso facto, a dolt.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That will certainly tarnish the image of the Crossroads among the suburban audience over the age of 60, who comprises the large majority of KCTV's viewership.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Several years ago, a woman who had just moved into the River Market came into the leasing office for her building complaining furiously and wanting to be reimbursed for her briefcase and digital camera that were taken from the back seat of her car overnight, along with a bank envelope containing $300 (which had been lying on the console!)

Her landlord, a friend of mine, said that she had told this woman  upon moving in never to leave anything exposed in her car, specifically not even a quarter.  The woman said "I thought you were kidding" and proceded to again demand reimbursement.  My friend told her that there was no way she would take responsibility for this womans lack of responsibility.  It turned into WWIII, as this woman, like many of her ilk...including your neighbor Lenexa, had to make their stupidity someone elses fault so that they could be blameless.  Fucked up logic, but true. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

You shouldn't leave crap in your car anywhere, not just downtown.

Morons.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

As far as I'm concerned, these stories just keep all the JoCo folks exactly where they belong, out in the suburbs.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

And TV5 is, after all, a JOCO televison station.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

of course, this isn't a problem in buildings with secured parking. stuart hall would be wise to address their lots, or risk losing tenants to adjacent properties that DO have secured parking (namely piper).
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The best part was that Channel 5 thought this was a better story to lead with than some tripple shooting gunbattle in KCK.  This dudes Dave CDs getting jacked is CLEARLY much more newsworthy than some massive shootout. 
You could argue either way on that one.  Was the gunbattle random?  Probably not, so it likely wasn't going to affect anyone outside a certain group.  If the car thefts are in fact happening and are random, then it has the likelihood to affect a larger population.  Everyone has a tendency to cry foul when all they cover are the shootings, and now crying foul for covering something OTHER than shootings is getting panties in a bunch.

Also, it's not like 5 is the only station covering crap stories, they're just the loudest about them.  They cover the carjackings/car thefts/etc. in the suburbs too.  There's just outrage around those stories as opposed to "well, it's downtown, what else would you expect?" in these ones.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: of course, this isn't a problem in buildings with secured parking. stuart hall would be wise to address their lots, or risk losing tenants to adjacent properties that DO have secured parking (namely piper).
We have had two cars parked in that "dangerous" lot for roughly 3.5 years with nary an incident - of course we scrupulously adhere to the golden rule.  
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

lock+load wrote: You shouldn't leave crap in your car anywhere, not just downtown.

Morons.
But in the burbs stuff like this doesn't happen as often, because there aren't..you know...drug addicts and homeless people walking the streets at all hours.  Just a fact of living downtown.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Ever since I had my car broken into in the Ward Parkway mall parking lot (back when Ward Parkway was a "nice" mall), I always make sure that everything is out of sight or out of the car.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: But in the burbs stuff like this doesn't happen as often, because there aren't..you know...drug addicts
Yeah god knows there aren't any drug addicts wandering around in the suburbs.  There's no explosively growing population of middle class white folks hooked on hard core pain pills around here.  no sirree.  &&&&&. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah god knows there aren't any drug addicts wandering around in the suburbs.  There's no explosively growing population of middle class white folks hooked on hard core pain pills around here.  no sirree.  &&&&&.   
Hey I agree with that.  Way too many women on anti-depressants these days.  But you know what I mean.  The hard stuff like heroin, crack, meth, etc.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: Hey I agree with that.  Way too many women on anti-depressants these days.  But you know what I mean.  The hard stuff like heroin, crack, meth, etc.
Yeah because high school kids hooked on oxycontin would never break into the car in the neighbor's driveway to feed the habit.  :x

And suburban apartment complexes never, ever have people living there with meth addictions. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah because high school kids hooked on oxycontin would never break into the car in the neighbor's driveway to feed the habit.   :x

And suburban apartment complexes never, ever have people living there with meth addictions. 
Maybe Lenexa.  Move to OP or Olathe.  :lol:
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

7 years downtown and never a break in. Never even heard of a neighbor getting broke into. I didn't leave anything in value in sight inside my car.

When I went to middle school in Blue Springs, most of the kids I ran with got all their money from change cups in unlocked cars in and mailboxe bday cards at nearby apartment complexes. There was always someone at school trying to unload CDs out of big car CD cases.

At least friendly neighbors downtown were on their toes about shady people loitering...