lofts/etc. in KC: just a trend?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

lofts/etc. in KC: just a trend?

Post by paisstat »

The downtown phenomenon now taking place is not a fad. The same thing is happening in many other medium size cities--they are realizing a renaissaince of sorts. Many millions of dollars, both bublic and private are being invested downtown for which real consumers and residents to take advnatage. I recently had a friend move to the library lofts at 10th and Wyandotte, and the buliding is pretty nice. No longer do the streets empty after 5--there is real activity taking place after dark. What we do need is more night life, and of course ever increasing businesses and residential units. I am very impressed with what has occurred thus far and think downtown is on the upswing for sure. Someone mentioned a braindrain that would be a disaster, Kansas City has two important Universities that keep many individuals here--many of them graduate and PhD level, and many of them have a historical materialist outlook on life that bring them to an urban lifestyle. Addditionally, the crossroads district is going to be so unique. Many lofts are opening and many more are on the books--the Stuart Hall building was just slated for rehab. There are scores of new businesses sprouting up as well. I was at "In The Life" this past weekend and the owner told me about up and coming plans for the area--another bar is going in that same building. It will be cool to have a gay district located in the area, which will attract liberal young professionals to the area by the scores. Combined with the hispanic presense along SW Blvd, this area is set to be a genuine urban area that can compete with any city in the United States.