OFFICIAL - 21c Museum Hotel KC (former Savoy Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Savoy Hotel to undergo $25 mil gut/resto

Post by rxlexi »

It had devolved into quite the bizarre collection of historical bones, regrettable remodels and over-priced food. Very happy to see 21c take care of its legacy.
Completely agree, though I hope the leather bar and general character of the Savoy Grill stays intact (with better, more modern menu, lighting, etc.).
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

From the sound of all the articles I've read, the Grill and the hotel lobby etc will all remain mostly the same...just cleaned up and "freshened up" with modern art.

There was mention of the tarnished mural being restored in the Grill by someone at the Nelson.

Very exciting!
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

21c is currently renovating a property in downtown OKC, and is already seeing some development around the project. I can't help but be hopeful that if/when they get around to renovating the old Savoy, we see some of the surrounding surface lots developed. Any news on this?

http://www.okctalk.com/content/162-rest ... music.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgh7676 wrote:21c is currently renovating a property in downtown OKC, and is already seeing some development around the project. I can't help but be hopeful that if/when they get around to renovating the old Savoy, we see some of the surrounding surface lots developed. Any news on this?

http://www.okctalk.com/content/162-rest ... music.html
don't count on most of the owners selling

The hotel and John's owns one side. Commerce much of the other. that leaves DST.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Commerce / Tower Properties has much more parking at this point than ever actually fills up during the day. With the local economy reasonably strong and downtown redevelopment in particular zooming along, it's bizarre to me that they aren't parting with even one or two small parcels in the north loop to cash out on the opportunity. They are a bank after all, do they not want the money? If a small business owner came to them and wanted a loan to buy one of those lots to actually operate it as a parking lot, they would shoot that business plan down for not having a sufficient rate of return, and yet it's exactly what they are doing as the owners. There is something complacent, sclerotic, and very stale about the way they are running.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

HalcyonKC wrote:Commerce / Tower Properties has much more parking at this point than ever actually fills up during the day. With the local economy reasonably strong and downtown redevelopment in particular zooming along, it's bizarre to me that they aren't parting with even one or two small parcels in the north loop to cash out on the opportunity. They are a bank after all, do they not want the money? If a small business owner came to them and wanted a loan to buy one of those lots to actually operate it as a parking lot, they would shoot that business plan down for not having a sufficient rate of return, and yet it's exactly what they are doing as the owners. There is something complacent, sclerotic, and very stale about the way they are running.
You have to look at all that asphalt in the same way land investors have looked for sixty years to the perimeter of cities as they took control of land that did not produce a return. What is the pattern of growth and where does future value lie?

Those parking lots are today worth roughly $35 per square foot. A year from now they will likely be worth $45-50 per square foot. Two years from now.....$ ?.

Now of all times, I would not be in a big hurry to sell.

From a public position, I'm encouraged to have this vacant assembledge in place today. They represent a massive opportunity for great positive leaps. If the focus on downtown continues, some unanticipated billion dollar solution may emerge.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:And you can be sure that many of these lots will remain vacant as their owners await a payday so grand that it that never arrives. This is why so many people support urban tax policies that raise the carrying cost of poorly utilized land.
I don't see that as smart policy.

if government tries to penalize certain areas with higher taxes do you think developers will deal with it or will they go back to developing in Lenexa and Lee's Summit?

That the lots haven't sold is because no one sees a profit in paying what the owners want to sell. That will change.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The idea isn't to penalize certain areas with higher taxes, the idea is to penalize poor land use with higher taxes.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

First permit I've seen related to the 21C project just came across today for exterior renovation work.

Permit

KCDowntown
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCDowntown wrote:First permit I've seen related to the 21C project just came across today for exterior renovation work.

Permit

KCDowntown
=D>
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I understand the Savoy Grill will be part of the restoration which is great as it is a KC landmark. The food, however, while being classic and fine for what it was had become pretty unimaginative relative to today's culinary scene. I'd like to see them keep the formal service but upgrade the menu a bit. Every city needs a few of those over-the-top formal restaurants- KC only has the American now. Spent our first anniversary at the Savoy Grill and it was even a little dated even then.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would be surprised if they don't change the food
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCDowntown wrote:First permit I've seen related to the 21C project just came across today for exterior renovation work.

Permit

KCDowntown
Don't know if it is related or just a coincidence, but also saw a storage trailer being unloaded in the parking lot directly east of the Savoy last week. Was hoping this was a sign that work was going to get started soon..the permit seems to point in that direction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So I was doing some permit sleuthing and noticed a "zoning compliance letter" sent to an address across the street from the Savoy...do these letters ever predict future activity at an address? It was 928 Central for those interested in my particular example.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCPowercat wrote:So I was doing some permit sleuthing and noticed a "zoning compliance letter" sent to an address across the street from the Savoy...do these letters ever predict future activity at an address? It was 928 Central for those interested in my particular example.
Unfortunately, I've seen Zoning Compliance Letter permits come across for parking lots before, so my guess is no. But let's hope.

KCDowntown
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Finally some news...
21C, the Kentucky-based hotel company redeveloping the hotel, says the restaurant’s dark-paneled walls will be kept, along with its original stained-glass, the bar and its famous front-room booths, but other things will change to a still undefined concept.

Swyers, the 21C design official, said the company intends to “make a concession to history” as it learns more about what the Savoy means to Kansas City.

“We want to celebrate its history while bringing in the new,” Swyers said. “But we’re still in the process of cleaning out the building and working on construction documents.”

Svadlenak, who evaluated the property’s contents, said she understands people’s memories associated with the restaurant but believes 21C will do a good job restoring important aspects.

“I can’t wait to come back when it’s finished,” she said.

The developer intends to put the project out for construction bids this fall and aims to begin construction early next year. It hasn’t announced an expected opening date for either the hotel or restaurant.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

A few days ago this note was on the front door of the Savoy, it has since been removed. I wonder if what wasn't saved will be auctioned off online?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

mgh7676 wrote:A few days ago this note was on the front door of the Savoy, it has since been removed. I wonder if what wasn't saved will be auctioned off online?
It's already been auctioned.

http://www.equip-bid.com/auction/388