OFFICIAL - 21c Museum Hotel KC (former Savoy Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL - 21c Museum Hotel KC (former Savoy Hotel)

Post by beautyfromashes »

I guess I’ve just never heard of the 21c brand before this development so would never look for them.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

They are gonna be screwed in 82 years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Restored Historic Savoy Hotel and Restaurant Debuts This August

https://cityscenekc.com/restored-savoy- ... is-august/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'm still a bit concerned about the dining room. Is all the woodwork being painted grey?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

TheLastGentleman wrote:I'm still a bit concerned about the dining room. Is all the woodwork being painted grey?
God i hope not. Everyone needs to STOP painting woodwork!! [-X We will be stripping off all that ugly grey and white paint in a few years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And painting over redbrick too (not this project).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I would have thought preserved victorian interiors would have been a selling point for this place. Makes me worried about the building's other features, like the stained glass dome
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That rendering is the bar....not the Savoy. Confirmed on here a page or two back.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So the space on the east end of the building?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCPowercat wrote:That rendering is the bar....not the Savoy. Confirmed on here a page or two back.
Would you mind quoting? I'm skimming through previous comments and not seeing anything directly identifying it
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I recall the Savoy having two dining rooms, the one with the booths, woodwork, and murals, and another that was much more plain. Back in the day the mural/Truman booth room was smoking, the plainer room was non smoking.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote:I recall the Savoy having two dining rooms, the one with the booths, woodwork, and murals, and another that was much more plain. Back in the day the mural/Truman booth room was smoking, the plainer room was non smoking.
I recall the same--though by the time I was in there the plain room was mothballed (at least it looked it).

I really don't think there's any reason to be concerned about 21c. I've been to three of their hotels, two of which were in historic buildings, and all were executed at a very high level. These are great, fun, beautiful hotels with very good restaurants. It's going to be fantastic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote: I really don't think there's any reason to be concerned about 21c. I've been to three of their hotels, two of which were in historic buildings, and all were executed at a very high level. These are great, fun, beautiful hotels with very good restaurants. It's going to be fantastic.
I agree. I imagine I'll go there often, and I can't say that about any other downtown hotel.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If they are using historic tax credits to renovate the hotel, they won't be allowed to do a lot of major altering of historic interiors.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Since the renderings are of a separate room like you all said, I went looking for pictures of how the rendered room used to look, since I couldn't really remember. I think I found it. What's throwing me off, though, is that the ornaments don't seem to match. Also, some of the stained glass is missing from the windows. Was it part of the artifacts that were auctioned off?

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't know why they would remove the stained glass windows since that is a historic feature of the building. It's also part of the charm of the room.

I would think Historic Kansas City would be scrutinizing this renovation like hawks, but I haven't heard a peep out of them in the local media regarding any interior alterations. Maybe 21c Museum isn't using historic tax credits, and that is why.

I'm not a big fan of those strange ceiling fixtures in the remodel photo.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I love that this project is happening and that such a battered old building is being saved, but I just can't shake the feeling that there's something....off about the renovation. Stuff like painting a whole room grey. I know it's not the most important room in the place, but still. It will be dated as soon as it opens! Hopefully that doesn't apply to the rest of the building
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

They have begun the first floor glazing on the east side of the building, so far none of the original stained glass windows have been used. Looking at the rendering, it does appear that they intend to incorporate the stained glass, just not over the whole window.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

IIRC the stained glass was added after the hotel portion was built.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote:I love that this project is happening and that such a battered old building is being saved, but I just can't shake the feeling that there's something....off about the renovation. Stuff like painting a whole room grey. I know it's not the most important room in the place, but still. It will be dated as soon as it opens! Hopefully that doesn't apply to the rest of the building
They're doing everything for a reason. I'm 100% certain someone has mocked up this room and an example bedroom suite in a warehouse and paid people to assess it. There's too much money to get it wrong

The placement of tables and type of chairs and such just scratches the surface.
Add acoustic design into the mix. Every little detail down to the shape and angle of those ceiling panels was thought out.
Then add that it will be an art gallery too. So all the decisions that make it a fancy restaurant need to make the art look good too.