Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been seeing a couple of of buildings with activity.  Not necessarily exciting, news worthy activity - but stuff I'm curious about.  I think we should have a thread where if you see something going on, it gets posted.  The idea came from me driving by the old Goodyear garage on Baltimore a couple days ago and seeing all the doors opened up.  Looks like it's still outfitted with all of it's gear and there was a forklift driving around in/out.  Anyone know anything?

Also, the building directly across (to the east) from Studio Dan Meiners the taller brick building is undergoing some rehab.  Who is in this building currently?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Also, the building directly across (to the east) from Studio Dan Meiners the taller brick building is undergoing some rehab.  Who is in this building currently?
There is a thread or two on that already - Helzberg is gutting it out and building a parking garage out back. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

re: goodyear, i believe it's being used for storage for either hanna rubber or the blueprint place across the street. nothing exciting, except that it's being guarded by a dog now. i fear this site is going to be derelict for quite awhile.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: There is a thread or two on that already - Helzberg is gutting it out and building a parking garage out back. 
Missed that one, thanks!
DaveKCMO wrote: re: goodyear, i believe it's being used for storage for either hanna rubber or the blueprint place across the street. nothing exciting, except that it's being guarded by a dog now. i fear this site is going to be derelict for quite awhile.
Agree, when I looked in it did look like someone using it for storage.  Sure is a fugly lot.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

This building has been in varied states of construction for a long time. Anyone know what is up?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.1 ... 0000000003
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

staubio wrote: This building has been in varied states of construction for a long time. Anyone know what is up?

Ditto, it's been what....4 years at least?  They added that top layer...and didn't this one have some balconies stuck on to the back (west) side?  Or maybe I'm confusing it with a different one.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

staubio wrote: This building has been in varied states of construction for a long time. Anyone know what is up?

There have been a variety of owners over the past 10 years.  Believe Nick Abnos (owns Firestone bldg. at 20th & Grand, Abdiana futons, etc...) owns this now.  Had heard that he was renovating it into apartments, but who knows? 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i made this topic sticky since it will otherwise get lost in the shuffle.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Abnos has been off & on working on condo conversion.  He is a slumlord, just ask some of his tennants in Morningside.
PurplePapist
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by PurplePapist »

The ground floor of the Manhattan Condos (700 East 8th Street) has a coffee shop and deli currently being built into it right off 8th. Estimated opening is April or May

Downstairs, we also have a salon that looks like its close to opening right off Admiral.
'Kansas City was a strange and wonderful place,' Ernest Hemingway once wrote. 'It was a place where the food is good, and where the people spoke the purest American.'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like this topic...kinda what I hoped "Development Q&A" would turn into but this seems to do the job even better.

Anybody know what's up with the crane on walnut, north side of the loop?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PurplePapist wrote: The ground floor of the Manhattan Condos (700 East 8th Street) has a coffee shop and deli currently being built into it right off 8th. Estimated opening is April or May

Downstairs, we also have a salon that looks like its close to opening right off Admiral.
hasn't that been in the works since they announced the project?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: I like this topic...kinda what I hoped "Development Q&A" would turn into but this seems to do the job even better.

Anybody know what's up with the crane on walnut, north side of the loop?
It looks like this is to demolish the opera house that has teetered on the edge of destruction for some time.
PurplePapist
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New businesses in The Manhattan

Post by PurplePapist »

"hasn't that been in the works since they announced the project?"

Its been talk for a long time. However, talk has finally turned into renovations.
'Kansas City was a strange and wonderful place,' Ernest Hemingway once wrote. 'It was a place where the food is good, and where the people spoke the purest American.'
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: It looks like this is to demolish the opera house that has teetered on the edge of destruction for some time.
Fang better go get himself chained to the front door. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

It is a shame that the building has been so butchered in previous years such that it's difficult to be feasible to salvage.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

PurplePapist wrote: "hasn't that been in the works since they announced the project?"

Its been talk for a long time. However, talk has finally turned into renovations.
Yes, the salon is nearly finished with all the sinks, dryers, etc. already moved in and the proprietor in daily to work on the space; lease is signed and opening is imminent. 

Lease is signed on the coffee shop and renovations are actively proceeding on an aggressive schedule.  Met the proprietor and he hopes to have convenience items, including cigarettes and possibly booze, quality coffee and sandwiches and RESIDENT FRIENDLY HOURS until 9 or 10 at night and on weekends.  Seems to be very "with it" and hopes to adapt his store according to requests/needs.  For example he has kicked around the idea of taking orders for morning coffee/pastries on a cart to deliver to the doors of residents in the Manhattan and possibly the Metropolitan or even the View if demand materializes.  With 700ish units within one block of the place, the neighborhood will hopefully be able to support this much needed amenity with its resident-friendly hours.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I know its probably posted somewhere else, but what is happening at 208 w 10th?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1424968479
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ragtag
Surface Lot

Post by ragtag »

quick question...  not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.
i was wondering where i could get a 3d model of kansas city...  just wanted to play around with it in sketchup or something but can't save the models out of google earth.
anyone know where this might be available?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So there was a small fire in the building at the NW corner of truman and walnut, apparently someone in the adjacent taller building to the south had a cooking fire and flung the flaming mess below to the roof of the building on the corner.  I blame a forumer trying one of Iggy's head exploding recipes! :P